Voyager is Completed (Build Thread)

azscotts

Observer
This Arizona heat is giving me fits. :mad::mad:

Anyone who has worked with fiberglass knows that epoxy and heat tends to make life interesting. Epoxy when mixed with hardner produces an exothermic reaction, it heats up - a lot. And when that happens it hardens.

When its already 100, you have to work FAST to get things laid up. I had to cut the fiberglass cloth before mixing the first batch of epoxy. The trick was to get it brushed out on the vertical walls and get the glass on the wall before things start going thermal. Not an easy task when the shop is already sitting at 100. Then you mix another batch and brush on the epoxy to catch any dry spots. Then you squeegee the excess resin being careful not to starve the layup.

This morning at 04:30 - I got up and spent almost two hours in the shop doing layups because it was "down to" 83 in the shop. I am about 75%-80% done with fiberglass layups - then comes the sanding, micro, sanding, micro, sanding, micro, sanding, micro, sanding, micro. This will fill in the weave from the glass and give me a smooth-as-glass surface to prime and paint.

I'm thinking the morning layups are a better option because I can do the morning layups, and then after work I can do the noisy stuff like sanding, cutting, drilling, etc. I could micro in the morning when its cooler. Then after work when things are set up and dried, I can sand, etc.

I bought fuses for the fuse panel and tested out all of my electronics/wiring last night. Everything worked and there wasn't any smoke so that's a good sign. :ylsmoke:

azscotts

Observer
Ugh...UPS is trying to kill me. I ordered more epoxy/hardner that was supposed to deliver yesterday, but they damaged the contents so Spruce sent out another batch. It wont be here until tomorrow so I have been trying to stay as productive as I can without falling behind. There's lots of little bits to work on like the front storage, tire carrier, etc. but I was really hoping to have the layups done by now and be able to start the finish micro coats this weekend.

azscotts

Observer
Pretty big milestone this week. Got all the micro coat done and sanded. I even got a first coat of primer. Next steps will be sand, base coat, sand, clear coat, sand, polish.

primer.jpg

primer2.jpg

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Disappointed you didn't use the floor vents for your lighting. Could have used the vent shutter as a dimmer! Lol, j/k. Can't wait to see the finished product.

azscotts

Observer
Painting Painting Painting!!!

This weekend I broke down and bought some paint. I initially was going to go with a Silver-ish color, but I found this grey that was pretty damn close to the grey on my wheels. So I bought some paint from the good people at Space Age Auto Paint in Mesa, AZ.

The first coat of the color...

paint1.jpg

Paint2.jpg

I also decided to make the doors to the storage area match the color of the exterior. (these were white)

Paint3.jpg

This is the side of the trailer with the door inserted. I did use a clearcoat covering. But there is plenty of orange peel, etc. and I found lots of pinholes all over the place. I made a decision that there is a point where I want something I can use. I do not want to have a showroom finish, nor am I trying to win any "Best Looking Camper" contest. So at some point you have to say, good enough is good enough.

Paint4.jpg

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
That's looking great and nice to see something other than 'Expo White'!

Stupid question time...

When you guys spray paint inside your garages do you cover everything in the room with drop sheets? Obviously the floor around your camper is covered but surely the overspray gets all over your tools and workbenches etc if you don't cover up. How do you stop this or is it not an issue?

HB

azscotts

Observer
That's looking great and nice to see something other than 'Expo White'!

Stupid question time...

When you guys spray paint inside your garages do you cover everything in the room with drop sheets? Obviously the floor around your camper is covered but surely the overspray gets all over your tools and workbenches etc if you don't cover up. How do you stop this or is it not an issue?

HB

I move the cars out of the garage and throw a tarp over a couple of things. But for the most part, I just deal with the dust after my work session. An acrylic paint will atomize and dry fairly fast, so what you have is more "paint dust" than anything. I generated more dust doing the fiberglass and micro coats.

azscotts

Observer
Last night the UPS guy dropped off the gas springs and hardware for the hatch. I was going to go with a single lock with the pushrods, etc, but decided that I could do just as well with two latches that lock down to the lower section of the opening. This will save me a lot of hassle when it comes to doing all the alignment with the pushrods, etc.

hatch_hardware.jpg

Then, I woke up at 0500 this morning to do the flox in the corners and layup a layer for the inside of the hatch. The reason there is a lip running around the edge is so that when the hatch closes it will sit snugly up against the rubber seal on the inner-lip of the hatch opening. The good news is, it'll be ready for a trim at lunch time. Normal cure time is about 7 hours before I would trim, but in this heat, I am getting a nice cure rate within a couple of hours.

hatch1.jpg

hatch2.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
This is a great build, well documented and inspirational. I saw that you used 3/4" ply on the bottom, but I did not notice what sizes you used for walls and roof. Thanks for any info you can share.

My wife and I are in the throws of deciding to keep looking for a trailer that fits our needs or for me to get started building. I have built a few plywood boats (up to 18 feet) so I figure it is just a big upside down boat :) Glue screw and glass and should work just fine.

What weight fiberglass cloth did you use?

Last edited:

azscotts

Observer
This is a great build, well documented and inspirational. I saw that you used 3/4" ply on the bottom, but I did not notice what sizes you used for walls and roof. Thanks for any info you can share.

My wife and I are in the throws of deciding to keep looking for a trailer that fits our needs or for me to get started building. I have built a few plywood boats (up to 18 feet) so I figure it is just a big upside down boat :) Glue screw and glass and should work just fine.

What weight fiberglass cloth did you use?

For the walls:

3/8" on the inside
2 x 1/2" bonded together for the "frame"
1/4" on outside

For the roof:

1/2" for the interior ceiling
3/4" for the frame with insulation
1/2" for the top

Everything was covered with a layer of bi-directional fiberglass cloth The fiberglass is 8oz cloth that's 38" wide. I bought mine at Aircraft Spruce.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
For the walls:

3/8" on the inside
2 x 1/2" bonded together for the "frame"
1/4" on outside

For the roof:

1/2" for the interior ceiling
3/4" for the frame with insulation
1/2" for the top

Everything was covered with a layer of bi-directional fiberglass cloth The fiberglass is 8oz cloth that's 38" wide. I bought mine at Aircraft Spruce.

Thanks!

azscotts

Observer
After a couple of VERY early mornings to beat the heat - Voyager finally has some wheels. I'll post up some pictures this afternoon, but I can finally move this thing around and finish up some of the passenger-side things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior