Decisions Decisions.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Thanks guys. The reason I don't mind the V8 Is because I know I'll add a supercharger to it. My buddy that's been a Ford master tech for 30+ years says the EB is a good engine but he would not own it out of warranty. That being said, I trust his judgement and he's been working on my vehicles for the 24+ yrs I've known him. I want the heavy duty package Supercrew or Supercab longbed with pass through center console and floor shifter. Not a fan of the column shift. Seems you can only get it with the SCREW shortbed (on line any how) can you go through a dealer and order any differently in person?

p nut

butter
Thanks guys. The reason I don't mind the V8 Is because I know I'll add a supercharger to it. My buddy that's been a Ford master tech for 30+ years says the EB is a good engine but he would not own it out of warranty. That being said, I trust his judgement and he's been working on my vehicles for the 24+ yrs I've known him. I want the heavy duty package Supercrew or Supercab longbed with pass through center console and floor shifter. Not a fan of the column shift. Seems you can only get it with the SCREW shortbed (on line any how) can you go through a dealer and order any differently in person?

I'm not sure I get that logic. When you add FI to any engine, reliability obviously suffers. Personally, I would trust an EB engine over a naturally-aspirated engine that's had an aftermarket FI system put in.
-
Regarding the packages, I know the HD payload is only available with a longbed (I believe).

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
I'm not sure I get that logic. When you add FI to any engine, reliability obviously suffers. Personally, I would trust an EB engine over a naturally-aspirated engine that's had an aftermarket FI system put in.
-
Regarding the packages, I know the HD payload is only available with a longbed (I believe).

Well, of course, I understand that as well. As I mentioned in another thread, a close friend of mine that's worked on my vehicles for 20+ yrs has been a Ford Master tech for over 30yrs told me some of the stories he sees when it comes to the EB. He says that they are a good engine but there's no way in hell that he'd own one out of warranty. He drives the 5.0L coyote and said that it's more than capable of handling the boost. In fact, it loves the boost. He's doing it to his and has no reservations.

Clutch

<---Pass
No offense, but your first sentence, and your first picture....hilarious! :D

I almost spit coffee on the laptop screen...when I read "less is more".... :D

And Murpys law, every time I buy a little truck, something stupid pops up where I need to tow a larger trailer or something. I just got sick and tired of that, and wanted a truck that had no excuses.

Shoot, I'll just go rent something if/when the need arises, or better yet...have it delivered.

bigskypylot

Explorer

I believe you are right. I am trying to find the right combo. The process is a bit confusing. I am curious if you can make some selections (with help of dealer) that you can't just make (on-line). That HD Package is a nice option. For the life of me, I can't recall where I saw it, but there was a thread on here that had some really ultra light camper shells etc people were putting on the half-ton trucks

kodiak-black

Observer
To all you joksters out there... That trailer is less!

28 feet bumper to tongue, that hauls myself, the wife, the dog, and 2 dirt bikes, 5k dry and 7k wet. Think that's big? Then you obviously don't get out much. There are some absolute monstrosities out there, 45 foot 5th wheels with 4 slides!

Just trying to demonstrate to the OP that you can tow a small trailer, do some off roading and daily drive an F150 pretty happily. &#128513;

Clutch

<---Pass

28 feet bumper to tongue, that hauls myself, the wife, the dog, and 2 dirt bikes, 5k dry and 7k wet. Think that's big? Then you obviously don't get out much. There are some absolute monstrosities out there, 45 foot 5th wheels with 4 slides!

Just trying to demonstrate to the OP that you can tow a small trailer, do some off roading and daily drive an F150 pretty happily. &#55357;&#56833;

Ha Ha! :D

Ohhhh...there are some massive TT's out there fa sha...you ain't going light though. ;)

One of my dirt bike buddies...has a F150 XL RCLB...bike on one side, he sleeps on cot with a bivy on the other...he is definitely is doing the the less is more thing.

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
Ha! Yeah, there are some behemoths out there. I like the Oliver Travel trailers. They make some pretty nice trailers. I'm kinda 50/50 on the F150/350 dilemma lol

kodiak-black

Observer
Well after 20 years of sleeping in tents or on the sleeping platform in our truck bed the wife said, "ENOUGH!" Got to keep the wife happy to keep the peace if you know what I mean. That being said, I spent 2 nights in the trailer Thanksgiving weekend in Mojave...let's just say I'll be sleeping in the warmth of the trailer when I can. Guess I'm getting old :D

When we do small trips, overland back country type trips we use only the truck. We'll do Mojave road again this year North to South just using the truck.

Clutch

<---Pass
Well after 20 years of sleeping in tents or on the sleeping platform in our truck bed the wife said, "ENOUGH!" Got to keep the wife happy to keep the peace if you know what I mean. That being said, I spent 2 nights in the trailer Thanksgiving weekend in Mojave...let's just say I'll be sleeping in the warmth of the trailer when I can. Guess I'm getting old :D

When we do small trips, overland back country type trips we use only the truck. We'll do Mojave road again this year North to South just using the truck.

Most of my moto buddies have TT's...think the majority of them use the "if momma ain't happy..." excuse too. ;) Admit it...it is for you. ;) NTTIAWWT. :D

There is a bit more to the story of my buddy with the F150 and bivy...he just just bought a Sprinter and is converting it into a camper.

Honestly I would love to have one...too cheap to buy one...being self employed, the more I spend, the more I have to work...and I am trying to work as little as possible these days. :)

p nut

butter

Just trying to demonstrate to the OP that you can tow a small trailer, do some off roading and daily drive an F150 pretty happily. &#55357;&#56833;

You'll find out we're all a bunch of full-fledged hypocritical self-contradictors here. Mostly because we just forget. :D I've been known to yearn for simplicity of stripped down, bare-bones mid-size trucks, but praise all the lux of a full-size truck (which is an F150 Supercrew, by the way). But 99% of the time, all I'm hauling is myself in this over-sized soda can on wheels. :D Talk about "less is more." :elkgrin: But keeps the family happy (and safe! http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/only-one-pickup-earned-good-results-iihs-crash-tests), which is worth the $$ premium to own and drive it.
And I have seen some monster TT. I'm in UT, so see them plenty here.

Most of my moto buddies have TT's...think the majority of them use the "if momma ain't happy..." excuse too. ;) Admit it...it is for you. ;) NTTIAWWT. :D

There is a bit more to the story of my buddy with the F150 and bivy...he just just bought a Sprinter and is converting it into a camper.

Honestly I would love to have one...too cheap to buy one...being self employed, the more I spend, the more I have to work...and I am trying to work as little as possible these days. :)

And here is our resident basketcase. :D Still driving a beat up truck despite his wife's pleading to get a new truck. And of course, he buys a new dirt bike every other year. Bunch of nutbags in here! :sombrero:

Clutch

<---Pass
And here is our resident basketcase. :D Still driving a beat up truck despite his wife's pleading to get a new truck. And of course, he buys a new dirt bike every other year. Bunch of nutbags in here! :sombrero:

Priorities! ;) Ohhhh...one of the main reasons we moved to Idaho, no need to travel far far away anymore to "escape", pretty much everything I want to do is right out the front door, and come home at the end of the day to sleep in my own bed.

What is that saying? "Build a life that you don't need a vacation from." :D Took a lot of work to get to this point...I am fried.

p nut

butter
Priorities! ;) Ohhhh...one of the main reasons we moved to Idaho, no need to travel far far away anymore to "escape", pretty much everything I want to do is right out the front door, and come home at the end of the day to sleep in my own bed.

What is that saying? "Build a life that you don't need a vacation from." :D Took a lot of work to get to this point...I am fried.

Yeah, it's beautiful country up there. We're planning a W Yellowstone and GNP trip this year. Maybe even head up to Banff. These are the trips that we enjoy, which is why I don't care for a small truck to fit down tight trails. Plenty to see out on the open roads and backcountry roads that any high-clearance 4wd can handle. Definitely taking my bikes, though, so I can do some solo adventures along the way.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, it's beautiful country up there. We're planning a W Yellowstone and GNP trip this year. Maybe even head up to Banff. These are the trips that we enjoy, which is why I don't care for a small truck to fit down tight trails. Plenty to see out on the open roads and backcountry roads that any high-clearance 4wd can handle. Definitely taking my bikes, though, so I can do some solo adventures along the way.

It still takes my breath away, makes me think how lucky we are...and then I correct myself...no, we worked our asses of to get here. Doesn't take much to get of town either...seriously, 20 minutes from the house I am at a trail head. From work...maybe 10. Plated dirt bike is an awfully nice thing to have here. Need to explore the Boise Foothills mountain bike trails this year...some reason the mountain bike mostly sits these last couple years...probably blame the throttle on the other bike. ;)

Going to try to get over to Yellowstone this year, think it is only 6 hours away....might save it for fall, when all the kiddies are back in school. Was thinking Glacier and Banff too...but not in the same trip as Yellowstone....want to take my time and not be in a rush.

Those TT's are nice...I dunno...other than not wanting to spend the money, think they are too big for my taste...like to get away from the crowds. The Tacoma with a Wildernest fits us perfect, can get into some tight out of the way spots with it...but we don't have any kids either, plus my wife likes to keep things real simple. She loves that thing...said it is like being in a tree house, makes her feel like a kid again.

The buying of new dirt bike thing is going well...parted out the old one...to my surprise getting back over half of what I paid for it, means the less I'll have to spend on the new one...still can't decide what to get. Decisions decisions... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior