Decisions Decisions.

bigskypylot

Explorer
For someone that will never probably pull anything really heavy (5-6000#), is a Super Duty too much truck? I'm torn between an F350 and an F150 supercrew with either the 5.5 or 6.5 bed. I have some ideas for the F150 in the way of suspension as well as the Super Duty. Either way, they are getting replaced. I like the 5.0L V8 over the Ecoboost and the 6.7 would be my choice in the SD (again, probably impractical for what I need. Of course, I could put a camper on the back and tow the Xterra like it wasn't even back there lol. I just want to get some opinions on the F150 and the F350 from owners that put them to use out in the wild and DD them as well.

Thanks in advance

jkilgore11

Adventurer
I have owned many half ton trucks in the past. I now have a F250 diesel and will probably won't own a half ton again. It is a larger truck but there are so many benefits especially if you are going to have a camper. Payload capacity, larger brakes, heavy duty steering components, etc. Even with our Four Wheel Camper and fully loaded with gear, we are well below the GVWR. Throw a heavy load in the bed of a half ton or pull a loaded trailer, you will definitely notice the difference. My half ton V8 would struggle in the mountains with any kind of load. The Diesel has no problem.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
My daily driver is the definition of overkill- a 3/4 ton gas pickup truck with lockers. That being said, I'd rather have too much truck than not enough. I'd suggest even looking at the Super Duty with the 6.2L Gas V-8 as it might be a good compromise for you.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Thanks for the insight! Yeah, those were things I was thinking about. I really like the 5.0 Coyote. My buddy is a Ford Tech and has had three F150s, an 11, 14 and 17. Alll V8s. He said he likes the EB but would not own one out warranty. So that rules that out. He said I could always get the Roush kit and he'd install it. Of course, that has to be done through the dealer to have a valid warranty claim, if I recall correctly. I also saw what RPG is doing with their Conversion kit, I could get a SCREW with a 6.5bed and add the conversion kit, of course, that is 15K + installation lol I know, overkill and completely un-called for but would be fun to have.If I go with the SD, itll get the full Carli treatment. I'm not sure what I want at this point. I will wait and see what the 18s have to offer when they come out this fall :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
Vote for the other side. I've made do with 1/2-ton vehicles, since they're my daily drivers and 98% of the time I'm unloaded and driving local or commuting in L.A. The 10-12x a year I tow or am fully loaded are the exception.

Clutch

<---Pass
I will wait and see what the 18s have to offer when they come out this fall :)

Would wait and see what the new 1/2 diesel is like..."should" have amble towing ability with good fuel economy, without being over kill.

Usually I would say stay away from diesels unless you absolutely need it for towing or a heavy load, but since you're considering a 3/4 diesel. Odd that you'll consider a diesel but not an Ecoboost. Either one of them I wouldn't want to own out of warranty.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Would wait and see what the new 1/2 diesel is like..."should" have amble towing ability with good fuel economy, without being over kill.

Usually I would say stay away from diesels unless you absolutely need it for towing or a heavy load, but since you're considering a 3/4 diesel. Odd that you'll consider a diesel but not an Ecoboost. Either one of them I wouldn't want to own out of warranty.

Those are my thoughts exactly. I was talking with my close friend back home in Wisconsin and he said wait another year for 19s if I want the new diesel on the 150. It also looks like they are going to have the 10spd across all engine choices. I told him if I go with a 150, I'd have to do the Roush Blower, Exhaust and some JBA headers. He said we can do that lol. As for suspension, I really like that RPG conversion They are selling. Granted, you won't get all the different play modes but I could get a Supercab or Super Crew in 6.5 bed and have a pretty sweet setup. I think the most I would do is tow an adventure trailer, my Xterra, and an Oliver Travel Trailer or perhaps a really lightweight hardshell camper when it comes to thathe decision.

http://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/f150-raptor-conversion-kit/

F350joe

I went through the same and ended up with a diesel. Way over kill but love the extra power over passes, I pass people towing a boat with a camper on. It sucks to do a long road trip when the rig is struggling and when unloaded the power is fun. Driving should be fun. The fuel is cheaper and you will burn less of it too. If you are buying out of warranty though, look for something pre 2003, emission laws seemed to have done a number on the newer diesels. I heard it a lot and still hear it, "way more truck than you need" but needs change and you can never have too much power. Why toe the line of your trucks capability if you don't have too.

Clutch

<---Pass
Those are my thoughts exactly. I was talking with my close friend back home in Wisconsin and he said wait another year for 19s if I want the new diesel on the 150. It also looks like they are going to have the 10spd across all engine choices. I told him if I go with a 150, I'd have to do the Roush Blower, Exhaust and some JBA headers. He said we can do that lol. As for suspension, I really like that RPG conversion They are selling. Granted, you won't get all the different play modes but I could get a Supercab or Super Crew in 6.5 bed and have a pretty sweet setup. I think the most I would do is tow an adventure trailer, my Xterra, and an Oliver Travel Trailer or perhaps a really lightweight hardshell camper when it comes to thathe decision.

http://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/f150-raptor-conversion-kit/

That kit looks cool.

Kinda hoping they offer the diesel in the XL package with the HD payload.

jkilgore11

Adventurer
It is amazing how much the half tons are changing in size and payload. Throwing a diesel in the mix might make it a harder decision for people who are on the fence. If you didn't tow much or carry a "heavy" slide in camper, that might be the ticket.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The gasoline Superduty is fairly cheap though. And the new 6.2L is tits. 6000 pounds ain't a little bit of weight. The F150 can do it, but the F350 can do it in a hurricane/flood/washed out sandy road. (I miss field working during the hurricanes in FL)

I'd go with the Superduty. It's axles are locker and off road friendly. Try to get a 4.30+ ratio and the factory locker in the rear. And Murpys law, every time I buy a little truck, something stupid pops up where I need to tow a larger trailer or something. I just got sick and tired of that, and wanted a truck that had no excuses.

The Superduty will never be able to match the F150's limo ride though. You can mitigate that a little by getting the longest F350 you can. CCLB.

p nut

butter
If you are pulling 5-6k lbs only occasionally, and it will be a daily driver, I think the sweet spot is an F150 with HD payload. I really like the 3.5 ecoboost for driving and especially towing up high-altitude mountain passes, but 5.0 will do it, too. I tow a 5k lb trailer, and with truck full of people, the 2.7L ecoboost tows it like nothing. Accelerating up hills. My old V8 never could do that (very well).
_
Now, if you're talking slide-in campers, I'd go Superduty for the payload.

kodiak-black

Observer
I often find myself in the "less is more" camp. From towing my Side Loading Toy hauler, to driving White Rim Road in Utah, to back country camping in Death Valley, hauling my dirt bikes on the weekend and my daily commuter, my 5.0 F150 has impressed me around every corner. 5.0, 36 gallon fuel cell, electric rear locker, and the crew cab is HUGE on extra space is really all I need. For me, I'll bump up in size only when and if I need to.

IMG_0018_zps9pwknktw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130413_093212_zps9e7abdbc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p nut

butter
I often find myself in the "less is more" camp. From towing my Side Loading Toy hauler, to driving White Rim Road in Utah, to back country camping in Death Valley, hauling my dirt bikes on the weekend and my daily commuter, my 5.0 F150 has impressed me around every corner. 5.0, 36 gallon fuel cell, electric rear locker, and the crew cab is HUGE on extra space is really all I need. For me, I'll bump up in size only when and if I need to.

No offense, but your first sentence, and your first picture....hilarious! :D
-
But yes, you can explore a lot of places in a stock truck. And 36 gal tank is a must!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12