Decisions Decisions.

Clutch

<---Pass
More like first world problems :D

Ha Ha! No kidding!

The better three quarters has been homeless twice (once at 16 and again at 30) in her life due things totally out of her control...honestly, just happy to have a roof over our heads, the rest is just fluff. :D

p nut

butter
It still takes my breath away, makes me think how lucky we are...and then I correct myself...no, we worked our asses of to get here. Doesn't take much to get of town either...seriously, 20 minutes from the house I am at a trail head. From work...maybe 10. Plated dirt bike is an awfully nice thing to have here. Need to explore the Boise Foothills mountain bike trails this year...some reason the mountain bike mostly sits these last couple years...probably blame the throttle on the other bike. ;)

Going to try to get over to Yellowstone this year, think it is only 6 hours away....might save it for fall, when all the kiddies are back in school. Was thinking Glacier and Banff too...but not in the same trip as Yellowstone....want to take my time and not be in a rush.

Those TT's are nice...I dunno...other than not wanting to spend the money, think they are too big for my taste...like to get away from the crowds. The Tacoma with a Wildernest fits us perfect, can get into some tight out of the way spots with it...but we don't have any kids either, plus my wife likes to keep things real simple. She loves that thing...said it is like being in a tree house, makes her feel like a kid again.

The buying of new dirt bike thing is going well...parted out the old one...to my surprise getting back over half of what I paid for it, means the less I'll have to spend on the new one...still can't decide what to get. Decisions decisions... :D

Yeah, I'm not way out in the sticks, (actually well-within city limits), but I can ride to the trails from my house (2 miles) and 4WD trails are 15 miles away. Loving it out here in the west.
Lots of good choices out there. I'm sure that'll keep you entertained for a while. :D

More like first world problems :D

Oh, can't forget the dude trying to cross shop a light-duty 1/2 ton F150 and 20k lb gvwr F550. Welcome to the club! :D

bigskypylot

Explorer
Yeah, I'm not way out in the sticks, (actually well-within city limits), but I can ride to the trails from my house (2 miles) and 4WD trails are 15 miles away. Loving it out here in the west.
Lots of good choices out there. I'm sure that'll keep you entertained for a while. :D

Oh, can't forget the dude trying to cross shop a light-duty 1/2 ton F150 and 20k lb gvwr F550. Welcome to the club! :D

Hey! We all have our quirks ;) :D lol

bigskypylot

Explorer
Ha Ha! No kidding!

The better three quarters has been homeless twice (once at 16 and again at 30) in her life due things totally out of her control...honestly, just happy to have a roof over our heads, the rest is just fluff. :D

Indeed! i'VE BEEN FURLOUGHED SEVERAL TIMES, HAD JOBS GO UNDER ETC. iT'S BEEN UP AND DOWN SINCE 9/11 in my industry. I've flown Cargo, Airlines, Charter, Corporate and Fractional. I love flying but I love the outdoors more than anything. I am hoping to finally settle in the Bozeman area as I have moved too darn much. Now, taking my severance package and looking at job that would take me to Wyoming but hoping to get back to Montana. With a 2 week on/off schedule, I can easily commute the 9 hr drive once a month. Think I want a Subaru Forester for that. lots to think about right now. I dont want a home that I am stuck with so until I know where i will be for long-term, I am just fine with a room or an apartment that i can use as a home base while being out as much as possible. I just never really had the idea of settling down with someone or somewhere. I like being a nomad, truthfully :)

Clutch

<---Pass

We are ********** dab in the middle of the little town we live in, she is literally 3/4's of mile from work, plus we have 3 fricken grocery stores within a mile, we ride our bicycles to them. Then so close to trails...it is like the best of both worlds. I unfortunately have to commute 26 miles into Boise...still not bad, can schedule my day to miss the traffic. I'll try and knock off early and go ride the Greenbelt before I go home...have good excuse to stay in Boise to avoid the traffic in the evening. Need to trailer the dirt bike in, because they do have some motorized trails in the Boise foothills...minutes from down town I can be on dirt bike trails...how fricken cool is that!?

Fricken love it here.

Clutch

<---Pass
Indeed! i'VE BEEN FURLOUGHED SEVERAL TIMES, HAD JOBS GO UNDER ETC. iT'S BEEN UP AND DOWN SINCE 9/11 in my industry. I've flown Cargo, Airlines, Charter, Corporate and Fractional. I love flying but I love the outdoors more than anything. I am hoping to finally settle in the Bozeman area as I have moved too darn much. Now, taking my severance package and looking at job that would take me to Wyoming but hoping to get back to Montana. With a 2 week on/off schedule, I can easily commute the 9 hr drive once a month. Think I want a Subaru Forester for that. lots to think about right now. I dont want a home that I am stuck with so until I know where i will be for long-term, I am just fine with a room or an apartment that i can use as a home base while being out as much as possible. I just never really had the idea of settling down with someone or somewhere. I like being a nomad, truthfully :)

Yeah, she had a crazy early life....grew up quite poor, then her crazy mom loaded her, 2 sisters and brother into a clapped 14' TT, and bounced around the country for a couple years. One day she came from high school...her mom picked up and left. Instantly homeless....fast forward to 30, she went through a divorce...her ex made her loose everything. house, car, pets....got her fired from her job. Homeless again. She ended up in Missoula with a Wildlands Fire Fighter...lived in tents, and abandoned buildings, able to scrape up enough money to get an apartment. Decided to go back to school to get her degrees, moved back to Tucson where we met, and is now a professor at one of the colleges here.

She hates travel trailers...kinda wants to nest now (and for good reason), and I want to run. So Idaho was a compromise...she said...why don't we move to a place where people like to vacation to? So there you go.

I lived in AZ (originally from PA) for 20 years...explored all over the Southwest and Baja...now here...want to explore here and the PNW/Canada/Alaska, and take my time doing it.

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
Yeah, she had a crazy early life....grew up quite poor, then her crazy mom loaded her, 2 sisters and brother into a clapped 14' TT, and bounced around the country for a couple years. One day she came from high school...her mom picked up and left. Instantly homeless....fast forward to 30, she went through a divorce...her ex made her loose everything. house, car, pets....got her fired from her job. Homeless again. She ended up in Missoula with a Wildlands Fire Fighter...lived in tents, and abandoned buildings, able to scrape up enough money to get an apartment. Decided to go back to school to get her degrees, moved back to Tucson where we met, and is now a professor at one of the colleges here.

She hates travel trailers...kinda wants to nest now (and for good reason), and I want to run. So Idaho was a compromise...she said...why don't we move to a place where people like to vacation to? So there you go.

I lived in AZ (originally from PA) for 20 years...explored all over the Southwest and Baja...now here...want to explore here and the PNW/Canada/Alaska, and take my time doing it.

Nice. Yeah that seems like a tough road to travel but if you can overcome adversity, you are better for it. I'm glad you guys have found your spot! I know I'll be in Montana or Wyoming for the rest of my life but I want to wander the west as much as possible. I imagine I'll eventually settle down somewhere in Montana. Wyoming is pretty nice too but it's not where I want to be long term so I'm hoping I'll be back permanently in the next couple of years. Wisconsin is my home state and will always be special to me.

Clutch

<---Pass
Nice. Yeah that seems like a tough road to travel but if you can overcome adversity, you are better for it. I'm glad you guys have found your spot! I know I'll be in Montana or Wyoming for the rest of my life but I want to wander the west as much as possible. I imagine I'll eventually settle down somewhere in Montana. Wyoming is pretty nice too but it's not where I want to be long term so I'm hoping I'll be back permanently in the next couple of years. Wisconsin is my home state and will always be special to me.

Thanks man! It is has been a crazy winding road with a bunch of forks and bumps in it...but FINALLY feeling settled. We looked at a lot of places...this filled the wants and needs. Felt instantly at home here...some parts reminds me of PA, some of AZ...others of Colorado. So far pretty content...here for another 20 years if she gets tenure. Not sure what retirement will bring...cross that road when we get there.

We looked at Montana, think the winters are a little too hard there, wanted out of the AZ heat, but didn't want to go too extreme the other way either. Even though the Treasure Valley was hit with one of the hardest winters in 30 years...still felt it was pretty easy...seemed like it was only 7-8 weeks long. Last year I was riding dirt bikes at the end of January, and stopped early December. So darn near year round riding. Now that we got the 30 year storm out of the way...winters should be easy peazy for another 30. ;)

Yeah, only spent a couple weeks in the PNW years ago for a downhill mountain bike trip...we did the coast of Washington and BC...need to get back over there.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I will give another vote for the 5.0L Supercrew. We tow a trailer that is approx 3,600 lbs dry. So I think by the time truck and trailer are loaded it's about 5,000 lbs. Ours has been great so far. Even with 3:73's and duratracs I'm still getting great mileage. (About 10L / 100 kms... not sure what that works out to in MPG...) It's more than enough truck for my needs.

For me a 1 ton would be overkill. More up front to buy (especially if going with the 6.7 over the 6.2) more to maintain (for the diesel)etc... For me the f-150 was the perfect fit. I wanted the 5.0L for the same reasons you mentioned. (The thought of potentially having to replace two turbos out of warranty isn't really appealing). That being said, you're the one that has to drive it and pay for it. Maybe drive both trucks. Buy what you think you will be happy with....

the ford....

Dearborn has had a very hard time building a truck that works.

in 92 or so, someone in corporate decided a ford could be cheaper, less reliable, last half as long, and have engines that die long b4 the body is shot. charge twice as much, and sell every truck they made.
boy, were they right...

the 7.3 psd, leaker, smokey, noisy as hell.
the 6.0 great little engine after $5K of fixing ford's stupid ideas.
6.4 oh, can we forget that one?
now the 6.7.
there are two new 550's with new engines under warranty here in this cowboys neighborhood. another with a turbo at 80K.
so... are we waltzing down the merry path we did with the GM not-so-duramax. how many iterations of that engine with massive problems? we were the beta test clowns that shouted, with our hands full of dollars , to have the newest "test vehicle"

then the cummins. rock solid , bullet proof, no bombproof. Attached to a company that is not sure its going to be in business year to year.
But lots of innovative ideas; coil springs that work....rear view mirrors that work, and last i heard, the only manual transmission still available behind a diesel..
the people that brought us Real Heavy Duty drivetrain; we could always count on mopar for that. Except front axles, and steering and frames that broke...you get the idea.

MY POINT: ferget the Diesel. its an experiment that went wrong, was great fun when fuel was cheap, when DEQ did not mean DEF. When we did not use a truck as a car, and trucks were not built like cars:
Bench seats, manual transmissions, manual transfer case shifters, rubber mats, sliding rear windows,

Dearborn was right, we will pay anything to have everything ...even if its nothing at all worth having.

and since im shooting off my mouth, let me say we havnt seen good fuel mileage numbers since the day we started adding turbos to these engines and high pressure injection pumps, and heui injectors and timing to silence the beast ....ahem, uh , sorry... im done....promise.
sorry.

jkilgore11

Adventurer
and since im shooting off my mouth, let me say we havnt seen good fuel mileage numbers since the day we started adding turbos to these engines and high pressure injection pumps, and heui injectors and timing to silence the beast ....ahem, uh , sorry... im done....promise.
sorry.

Your last two posts pretty much sum up the evolution of Ford's Super Duty Diesel. Since I only have to deal with winter salt on the roads a few times per year, I stopped with the 2008 single turbo 6.4l. The body and drivetrain are still in excellent condition. Yeah, I've thrown a few thousand dollars into the engine including intake, exhaust, and tuner. The HP fuel pump died and took a couple of injectors with it. It helps when Spartan Diesel is local. Those guys know their stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I drool over the new 2017 every time I pass the dealership. The $60k plus that it would take to replace my truck with the same model does not make me drool.
I have talked with a handful of guys that have swapped the engine out with a Cummins. Most of them say "this the way it should have been". If Ford and Dodge worked together to make the best truck, we wouldn't drool every time we saw the newest model. In turn, they would lose a lot of new sales. Trucks are becoming disposable just like everything else.

bigskypylot

Explorer
the ford....

Dearborn has had a very hard time building a truck that works.

in 92 or so, someone in corporate decided a ford could be cheaper, less reliable, last half as long, and have engines that die long b4 the body is shot. charge twice as much, and sell every truck they made.
boy, were they right...

the 7.3 psd, leaker, smokey, noisy as hell.
the 6.0 great little engine after $5K of fixing ford's stupid ideas.
6.4 oh, can we forget that one?
now the 6.7.
there are two new 550's with new engines under warranty here in this cowboys neighborhood. another with a turbo at 80K.
so... are we waltzing down the merry path we did with the GM not-so-duramax. how many iterations of that engine with massive problems? we were the beta test clowns that shouted, with our hands full of dollars , to have the newest "test vehicle"

then the cummins. rock solid , bullet proof, no bombproof. Attached to a company that is not sure its going to be in business year to year.
But lots of innovative ideas; coil springs that work....rear view mirrors that work, and last i heard, the only manual transmission still available behind a diesel..
the people that brought us Real Heavy Duty drivetrain; we could always count on mopar for that. Except front axles, and steering and frames that broke...you get the idea.

MY POINT: ferget the Diesel. its an experiment that went wrong, was great fun when fuel was cheap, when DEQ did not mean DEF. When we did not use a truck as a car, and trucks were not built like cars:
Bench seats, manual transmissions, manual transfer case shifters, rubber mats, sliding rear windows,

Dearborn was right, we will pay anything to have everything ...even if its nothing at all worth having.

Good take on things. I'd love to have a new Super Duty with a CTD aND a manual transmission lol

bigskypylot

Explorer
Your last two posts pretty much sum up the evolution of Ford's Super Duty Diesel. Since I only have to deal with winter salt on the roads a few times per year, I stopped with the 2008 single turbo 6.4l. The body and drivetrain are still in excellent condition. Yeah, I've thrown a few thousand dollars into the engine including intake, exhaust, and tuner. The HP fuel pump died and took a couple of injectors with it. It helps when Spartan Diesel is local. Those guys know their stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I drool over the new 2017 every time I pass the dealership. The $60k plus that it would take to replace my truck with the same model does not make me drool.
I have talked with a handful of guys that have swapped the engine out with a Cummins. Most of them say "this the way it should have been". If Ford and Dodge worked together to make the best truck, we wouldn't drool every time we saw the newest model. In turn, they would lose a lot of new sales. Trucks are becoming disposable just like everything else.

Yup!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior