Grinding noise, possible Clutch 4WD Select Control Solenoid Valve For Mitsubishi Mont

Offroadmuch

Explorer
So the last two times I drove my Montero I heard a grinding noise coming from the front end. This is driving down a flat city street, not using any 4wd setting, just regular 2wd. It sounds like it is trying to go into 4wd and the gear teeth are hitting. Some youtube research revealed that a guy had a similar problem although he has dash lights coming on also. No lights are coming on with mine. His video is horrible but it may be what I am dealing with. Link below.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H7cqKgw9Uc
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBBaIp5o1Ms
Different video poster but also related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKdYjo5YaHs

I think this is the part "Clutch 4WD Select Control Solenoid Valve For Mitsubishi Montero" and link for the part. Sounds like a fairly common problem and their is a ton of these solenoids for sale. I am having trouble find the Mitsubishi part number for a 2003. I think it is MR430381 but when I type it into http://oemmitsubishiparts.com/ UPDATED: Just called my local Mitsu dealer. The part number here has been corrected and cross referenced with my VIN so if you have a Gen 3 you should be good. (Not sure if 2001-2002 is different from 2003-2006) Anyone worked on this or had the same problem? I also need to pull off my skid plates and look at the actuator (factory new from a year ago) and make sure it is tight, lines and wires are properly attached, no damage etc. But if all of that is ok I will probably get this part and install, which should be really easy.

LinK:
https://www.amazon.com/BaiFM-Freewh...=UTF8&qid=1496785378&sr=8-1&keywords=mr430381

Thanks,

Last edited:

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
Brother,

What a coincidence... we're bringing our '98 back [>110.000 miles, but parked far too long] to life, and have run into the same issue [today, @ 6 a.m. on the 5 South].

Just had a Timing Belt / Water Pump / Crankshaft Bolt service done, and needed to drive it to undertake the Smog Test.

Thought a wheel bearing might be the issue - since it has the howl and a grind sensation...

Yes, our front axle drive lights are flashing...

The rear axle lights have yet to light up...

Differential light is not activating, as it should [I believe]...

We replaced all of the axle vacuum hoses only miles ago [those ain't the problem]...

Suspect the Actuator Rod...

Maybe a Solenoid...

The noise - I perceive - goes away when the rig is shifted/ operated in 4H...

We'll chime in with any answers/ results we come across, asap.

Here is an article I am referencing;

Article: http://4wd.blogeasy.com/article.view.run?articleID=318776

Good luck,

- Wm.

p.s. [experts climb on board, and guide us dummies]

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Thanks for the info.! I have seen that article before. I read that over again. I will try everything before I buy any parts. Most of what I will be checking is below in quotes....
Taken from the blog post you linked:

"Electronic signals from the transfer box, to the gearbox ECU govern the operation of solenoids that control the vacuum feed to open and close the actuator located on the front differential.

The vacuum line with yellow strip, just visible in picture, connects to the solenoid with yellow paint blob, and in turn connects to front differential actuator. Same with the blue striped hose connecting to the solenoid with the blue blob of paint.

- Check that both solenoids are not sticking and operate correctly.
- Check the electrical resistance, should be approx. 39/45 ohms (Haynes states 45 ohms)
- Check the harness connection, apply electrical contact cleaner to clean connectors

Mounted on the cross member, near the front differential is a vacuum storage vessel, or accumulator. It is about the size of a tin of baked beans. worth checking for leaks, rust, lose connections, etc.

If you are greeted with flashing lights upon start up the vacuum accumulator (can) is unable to hold a vacuum, leaking or damage. Repair or replace. Also check that the vacuum line non-return valve is not leaking, causing accumulator to leak into the plenum overnight (refer to vacuum schematic drawing).

coffeegoat

Adventurer
As far as ordering the freewheel clutch assembly, if you can't find it online at OEM mitsubishi or similar, just give them a call, in my experience even if it's not listed they can get it.

If you're going aftermarket, I have this one on my rig and it seems to work fine.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
As far as ordering the freewheel clutch assembly, if you can't find it online at OEM mitsubishi or similar, just give them a call, in my experience even if it's not listed they can get it.

If you're going aftermarket, I have this one on my rig and it seems to work fine.

That part looks perfect. Page 26-60 on the FSM covers all of this. I will do all the basic checks for loose wires and vacuum lines, probably pick up some dielectric grease for the electrical connections and wait to see if it happens again. But just for confidence I think I will order the part and install anyway since it is not too expensive and a 5 minute job.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
That part looks perfect. Page 26-60 on the FSM covers all of this. I will do all the basic checks for loose wires and vacuum lines, probably pick up some dielectric grease for the electrical connections and wait to see if it happens again. But just for confidence I think I will order the part and install anyway since it is not too expensive and a 5 minute job.

Just FYI in case you have read this far, the Link by Coffeegoat is a direct replacement for the Mitsubishi part #MR430381. I edited my initial post with the same info so no one gets a bad part number.

Before I posted this thread I searched for "actuator" since I did not know some of the key components that could be to blame. To help future users I will add some key terms in case anyone searches in the future:
solenoid vacuum control superselect super select Mb937731 Freewheel Clutch Control Solenoid Valve For Mitsubishi Pajero L200 L300
1. Freewheel Clutch Control Solenoid Valve
2. Mitsubishi Montero Triton 6G72 4D56 6G74 4M40 4M41 6G75 Freewheel Clutch Control Solenoid Valve
2. Mitsubishi Montero Triton 6G72 4D56 6G74 4M40 4M41 6G75
3. OEM No. MB937731, MB620532, MR430381
1. Valve, Freewheel Clutch Control Solenoid
2. Suitable for Mitsubishi Pajero / Montero Triton L200 L300 V43 V44 V45 K74T V73 V75 V78
3. OEM No. MB620532 MR430381 MB937731 Is a replacement, not original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle