Southwest '17 F150 build. Going faster than your average rig.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Nice truck. Is there an advantage to this vs. a Raptor?

Money savings. A new raptor equipped like this would be 30k more than I paid. I have the same motor, same trans, same interior.

My suspension already outperforms the raptor. I like the raptor styling better, but it's not worth the extra cash to me

More money than God......must be nice!!

Not even close. I'm just fortunate to have a lot of friends in the industry.

Awesome truck! Why didn't you use their front kit?

I will be getting a stage16 front end after I finish the rear. Baja kits gave me a deal I couldn't refuse on the kit. I'm not too impressed to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackdmax15

Observer
Sick build. Do you think for the average Joe they still could come out significantly ahead of the raptor? I'm pricing out my next truck, and the raptor is on the list, but for 70+ thousand dollars i have two other vehicles in mind to build first. I haven't considered just heavily modifying a F-150 from the start.

Oh and you may want to change your profile picture now :)

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Sick build. Do you think for the average Joe they still could come out significantly ahead of the raptor? I'm pricing out my next truck, and the raptor is on the list, but for 70+ thousand dollars i have two other vehicles in mind to build first. I haven't considered just heavily modifying a F-150 from the start.

Oh and you may want to change your profile picture now :)

It cost about 10k in suspension mods to get the same travel as a raptor, but have better shocks. This is without labor. In my shop, labor for this conversion would be about $1200.

I'd only start with a regular f150, if you wanted more performance than a raptor.

For instance, the rear suspension I have on order fits f150 or raptor.

The raptors aren't exactly "out of the box" either. They have necessary mods to keep them reliable in the desett

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear about your cummins that was a sick build.

You'll love your ford! Cant wait to see how far you take it.

Dalko43

Explorer
Lol....no more Ram Cummins?

In all honesty, I always thought something like the F-150, with its lighter weight and gasoline engine options, would be better suited for the type of driving you like to do.

Why did you decide to go with a regular F-150 vs a Raptor?
Also, the obvious weight differences aside, how does the F-150 compare to the Ram 2500 in terms of offroad capabilities and maneuverability? It seems that there is very little difference between full-size (1/2 ton's) and HD (3/4 ton's and up) in terms of wheel base and overall width and length, obviously when talking similar cab and bed configurations.

Last edited:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Lol....no more Ram Cummins?

In all honesty, I always thought something like the F-150, with its lighter weight and gasoline engine options, would be better suited for the type of driving you like to do.

Why did you decide to go with a regular F-150 vs a Raptor?
Also, the obvious weight differences aside, how does the F-150 compare to the Ram 2500 in terms of offroad capabilities and maneuverability? It seems that there is very little difference between full-size (1/2 ton's) and HD (3/4 ton's and up) in terms of wheel base and overall width and length, obviously when talking similar cab and bed configurations.

Strictly cost. Raptors are wayyyyy too expensive.

My new truck is wider than my old truck, width isn't too much of an issue out here.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Any possibility of turning off all the nannies like the Raptor? I do like the new AWD on the Raptors, but off-road mode is something vital that I thought the regular F150s couldn't replicate.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Any possibility of turning off all the nannies like the Raptor? I do like the new AWD on the Raptors, but off-road mode is something vital that I thought the regular F150s couldn't replicate.

You just pull the abs fuse out.

Same thing I had to do with the dodge.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Whoa.
Cracked frame?!?! No way. I know you used it, but didn't think you went that hard. Bummer.
Explains why the sudden change. I guess your work is happier you're driving a company car now too. ; )

A buddy I work with just bought a Raptor as his retirement present. REALLY nice. But, like you said, pricey. The interior was very comfy, which I really liked...
I tried to convince him he could get better performance by doing what you did...

How's the daily driving comfort level with the F150 compared to the Dodge? What about mpg?

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Whoa.
Cracked frame?!?! No way. I know you used it, but didn't think you went that hard. Bummer.
Explains why the sudden change. I guess your work is happier you're driving a company car now too. ; )

A buddy I work with just bought a Raptor as his retirement present. REALLY nice. But, like you said, pricey. The interior was very comfy, which I really liked...
I tried to convince him he could get better performance by doing what you did...

How's the daily driving comfort level with the F150 compared to the Dodge? What about mpg?

The ford has better tech in it, the dodge was more comfortable on the highway due to the custom shock valving i had. Once the f150 shocks get dialed in I'm sure it will be just as good.

Mpg sucks compared to my diesel. My diesel got 22-24mpg on 37s. The 3.5 is getting 14mpg.

GreggNY

The ford has better tech in it, the dodge was more comfortable on the highway due to the custom shock valving i had. Once the f150 shocks get dialed in I'm sure it will be just as good.

Mpg sucks compared to my diesel. My diesel got 22-24mpg on 37s. The 3.5 is getting 14mpg.

Borh of your builds are awesome! How do you feel about the reliability of the ecoboost motors when you're far 'out there'? I traded out of a modded rubicon and now have a '17 F150 with the 2.7, and have been thinking of going to a 2500 ram cummins. The 2.7 has been great so far with no problems, and gets an honest 20 mph hand calculated with 3.73's (no mods yet). The 36 gal tank gives me a crazy good range to travel, but just always wanted a diesel so thing of going that route before tearing things apart. I'm only doing overlanding/exploring and not high speed desert runs like you though so I doubt I'd break the 2500 lol

p nut

butter
Borh of your builds are awesome! How do you feel about the reliability of the ecoboost motors when you're far 'out there'? I traded out of a modded rubicon and now have a '17 F150 with the 2.7, and have been thinking of going to a 2500 ram cummins. The 2.7 has been great so far with no problems, and gets an honest 20 mph hand calculated with 3.73's (no mods yet). The 36 gal tank gives me a crazy good range to travel, but just always wanted a diesel so thing of going that route before tearing things apart. I'm only doing overlanding/exploring and not high speed desert runs like you though so I doubt I'd break the 2500 lol

Are you towing a lot? Or need the payload? I could see myself going 3/4 or 1 ton, if I were decided on getting a slide in camper. But for now, 1/2 ton seems to work just fine for me. I have a 2.7L with 36 gal tank as well. I've got 600+ mile range, so I'm good there. Diesel wouldn't add much to that.

Trophycummins - Nice build. Yep, once you get above 33", MPG starts to plummet, it seems. Which is why I'm sticking with 33's (or 32's). :D

Dalko43

Explorer
Are you towing a lot? Or need the payload? I could see myself going 3/4 or 1 ton, if I were decided on getting a slide in camper. But for now, 1/2 ton seems to work just fine for me. I have a 2.7L with 36 gal tank as well. I've got 600+ mile range, so I'm good there. Diesel wouldn't add much to that.

A comparable diesel engine (something like the 2.8l duramax) would likely get a few hundred miles of more range with a similar-sized tank. I really like where Ford is heading with their ecoboost series of engines (I wish other companies....ahem Toyota...would follow suit). But the fuel economy advantage, especially when towing, still lies with the diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior