Southwest '17 F150 build. Going faster than your average rig.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
And browse through the for scan thread there....you can turn a XLT into a lariat with out going to the dealer....

I. Did not get the FX4 pckg...but ended up putting all the factory skids plates on. Bought of ebay...and bought the 7.00 factory hill descent conto button and factory integral trailer brake and was able to turn them both on....

If you have the sync3 . I just added a nav module and now have factory navigation. ...using the android auto worked ok..but it was glitchy, kept locking up. And leaves the phone on so it would get hot.

Thanks. I have ids as well so it's pretty easy for me. I haven't had enough time to play with foscan unfortunately

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

p nut

butter
Sell your truck and get a Dodge, diesel.....if you need the diesel and can afford the maintenance

I miss my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab (4WD, Long bed) a lot, best truck ever

These Fords are junk and get horrible fuel mileage, especially with the over rated 3.5L Ecoboost

Sorry you had a bad experience with your truck. 3.5L is a nice engine, but definitely loses to diesels in towing and MPG under load. As it has been said many times, ecoboost engines can be fuel efficient, but it largely depends on your driving habits. Of course, your larger wheels and mods don't necessarily help.
Fortunately, I've had good luck with my ecoboost. Superb power towing and nice MPG on the freeway. Couldn't ask for more.

D45

Explorer
Sorry you had a bad experience with your truck. 3.5L is a nice engine, but definitely loses to diesels in towing and MPG under load. As it has been said many times, ecoboost engines can be fuel efficient, but it largely depends on your driving habits. Of course, your larger wheels and mods don't necessarily help.
Fortunately, I've had good luck with my ecoboost. Superb power towing and nice MPG on the freeway. Couldn't ask for more.

It is a nice motor and truck......but too hyped

I know 6 people with 2011-2014 trucks, with the 3.5L

All have the same complaints, poor fuel mileage and bad performance in warm and humid conditions (all the condensation/oily gunk in the intercooler and piping)

One guy had to sell (trade in) his because of a $3000 timing chain repair quote......at 87,000 miles

p nut

butter
It is a nice motor and truck......but too hyped

I know 6 people with 2011-2014 trucks, with the 3.5L

All have the same complaints, poor fuel mileage and bad performance in warm and humid conditions (all the condensation/oily gunk in the intercooler and piping)

One guy had to sell (trade in) his because of a $3000 timing chain repair quote......at 87,000 miles

That's too bad. I am hearing better things about the 2nd gen 3.5's, so hopefully that'll pan out to be true. Good luck with the next truck, but remember, no platform is fool-proof. Even the "bulletproof" severely-underpowered 22RE had issues (timing chain related, too, if I recall). Diesels have their issues. My recommendation? Devil you know is better than one you don't. Keep your truck :D

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
And browse through the for scan thread there....you can turn a XLT into a lariat with out going to the dealer....

I. Did not get the FX4 pckg...but ended up putting all the factory skids plates on. Bought of ebay...and bought the 7.00 factory hill descent conto button and factory integral trailer brake and was able to turn them both on....

If you have the sync3 . I just added a nav module and now have factory navigation. ...using the android auto worked ok..but it was glitchy, kept locking up. And leaves the phone on so it would get hot.

You turned nav on thru forscan? I've used it to turn down tpms on my new f350, it's an xl but I have the big touchscreen nav would be nice.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
That's too bad. I am hearing better things about the 2nd gen 3.5's, so hopefully that'll pan out to be true. Good luck with the next truck, but remember, no platform is fool-proof. Even the "bulletproof" severely-underpowered 22RE had issues (timing chain related, too, if I recall). Diesels have their issues. My recommendation? Devil you know is better than one you don't. Keep your truck :D

I think people liked the 22re because all engines were junk in that time period. The bar was pretty low.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
You turned nav on thru forscan? I've used it to turn down tpms on my new f350, it's an xl but I have the big touchscreen nav would be nice.

Dont want to hijack his build thread...

I bought a used one that was already enabled, so about 10 min to install it and it was on...I believe it works on the 2015 and up with sync version 2.2, if its the 2014 you have to enable it IIRC.

in fact mine came out of a Lincoln..so it shows Lincoln when you start the truck. You can change the on screen through forscan, it will show ford, raptor, Lincoln...I think there are 5 different screens.

damon1272

Observer
Started one on Go Fast. Bought a fully caged chassis. When I get working on it later this month I'll start posting it here as I want to do overland trips with it. Set for a 96 460 w/E4OD, big brake kit, auto fab front end and Bilsteins. Shooting to have it drivable this time next year. Have a ton of parts waiting to go on it.
Solo builds some nice trucks. Bobby and the crew are good folks. They should do a great job for you.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Started one on Go Fast. Bought a fully caged chassis. When I get working on it later this month I'll start posting it here as I want to do overland trips with it. Set for a 96 460 w/E4OD, big brake kit, auto fab front end and Bilsteins. Shooting to have it drivable this time next year. Have a ton of parts waiting to go on it.
Solo builds some nice trucks. Bobby and the crew are good folks. They should do a great job for you.

Nice. I've recently taken on camburg as a vendor at work. Might end up with d44 burg race beams with Currie axles. Just depends at this point.

I went out on the @raptoroffroadcommunity run this past weekend. F150 still rips.

607f7fc3b337572e6fbfdf3034d86121.jpg

5c8a281ba3adadfef59b06319f76274a.jpg

448206364f3ea735a793786fb71e6bef.jpg

1c4b979cd96d2c69f56c635d48876c58.jpg

Went to mammoth area two weeks ago as well.

48848d9972cacd8a55f14f5f68235890.jpg

dfbd42a86638eca6ac68f15eaeea4686.jpg

9931903611e0d138d91867f0451dc271.jpg

e59b83ebc5c8251a22c44f9284e0cd05.jpg

Here's one for the other build thread I should start. But a clean slate about to get chopped up and turned into my go fast rig.

af0f3c89e55ba4e4a784c813aa9e7083.jpg

6d4049cb898e6ea07169f01377312a1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Did your suspension keep up with the new Raptors? Don't know how you built your for cheaper than a Raptor. Truck is probably mid 50s, and a stage 16 front/rear is $25k. Still love it, and good to see it out doing what it should be doing.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Did your suspension keep up with the new Raptors? Don't know how you built your for cheaper than a Raptor. Truck is probably mid 50s, and a stage 16 front/rear is $25k. Still love it, and good to see it out doing what it should be doing.

My suspension very much keeps up with the new(and old) raptors.

I never went with stage 16. I just have the bajakits raptor arms with king 3.0s.

I'm essentially identical to a raptor, geometry wise.

Big50

Adventurer
Nice build. Question about the Rogue bumper - can you run a full size light bar or will it interfere with the intercooler? I've got a 17 I'm considering getting one for. I bought it as a DD but can't seem to leave it alone lol.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Nice build. Question about the Rogue bumper - can you run a full size light bar or will it interfere with the intercooler? I've got a 17 I'm considering getting one for. I bought it as a DD but can't seem to leave it alone lol.

It's set up to run a 40" radius light bar with no issue. I used to have a 40" onx6 in mine but sold it to fund rear bypasses.

blubullett

My suspension very much keeps up with the new(and old) raptors.

I never went with stage 16. I just have the bajakits raptor arms with king 3.0s.

I'm essentially identical to a raptor, geometry wise.

A new f150 quadcab with the 3.5l ecoboost and 4x4 is 45k. The Baja kit with 3.0 kings is 7k. Fenders and paint? About 2k min. Wheels and tires, another couple grand. That isn't any cheaper then a Raptor and you have 75hp and 40lbs of torque less. Doesn't the Raptor have a rear locker too? A stripper Raptor is 55k.

I would bet the bajakits front suspension is actually better then the factory Raptor but your rear leafs aren't as good for go fast, but better for hauling some camping gear.

Don't get me wrong, your truck is ************ and I would love to own it, but in the long run a stripped Raptor with some Deavers would have been cheaper.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
A new f150 quadcab with the 3.5l ecoboost and 4x4 is 45k. The Baja kit with 3.0 kings is 7k. Fenders and paint? About 2k min. Wheels and tires, another couple grand. That isn't any cheaper then a Raptor and you have 75hp and 40lbs of torque less. Doesn't the Raptor have a rear locker too? A stripper Raptor is 55k.

I would bet the bajakits front suspension is actually better then the factory Raptor but your rear leafs aren't as good for go fast, but better for hauling some camping gear.

Don't get me wrong, your truck is ************ and I would love to own it, but in the long run a stripped Raptor with some Deavers would have been cheaper.

I never did it for the "severe cost savings" but if you want to get into the financials I'll explain my position.

My truck stickered for $53,000. It is a 4x4 crew cab 302a package. As a ford employee I paid $41,000 for it at the time including available rebates. If I purchased a raptor, I would have paid sticker.

My truck came factory with the same rear locker the raptor has.

I paid $3200 for the Baja kits arms and axles and $1800 for my front king 3.0s.

Fenders and paint cost me $450 and they were painted for $86 of paint materials.

Wheels were free from an industry partner. Tires were $1000 for a set of five 37" toyos.

I bought used king raptor external bypass 3.0s for $1200.

Leaf springs between the raptor and the f150 are the same exact part number.

Approximately, I'm $49000 into this truck and still more capable than a raptor. And I still haven't even reached the sticker price of a raptor.

I've tuned my truck myself with hptuners for the cost of $200 and a catless downpipe and am sure I make more power than a stock raptor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior