K5 - Blazer / Hallmark Camper Combo build

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I seem to have a bit of a Pop-Up camper addiction... When this was posted by SweatyButcher in the for sale finds forum I jumped with joy as I have been looking for this type of combo for years. I ideally wanted the K5/Bronco Fourwheel Camper option. But I have come to appreciate the Hallmark name as well.

I contacted the seller and struck a cross country deal! Fortunately, I had a friend stationed at Ft. Carson and he checked it out for me. His words " this is a time capsule and in great shape".. So I trusted a stranger and wired a deposit. I had to get the time from work, he was nice enough to hold it for 2 weeks while I made arrangemnts.

Having bought and sold and built so many rigs over the years I should have known I would experience a few hiccups. I don't have a a fladbed car hauler of my own anymore, so I secured one from a co-worker ( should have checked this out)

Get off work and head over to co-workers house to grab a trailer. I pull up to his house and look on the side yard and see a scrap pile on wheels... Looking past this I assume the trailer I am to borrow was perhaps behind the house getting detailed.
No such luck! Now, I am sure this trailer with its custom mobile home axles, home brew cross beams, and patch work scrap steel deck probably hauls like a champ. Maybe the boy scout in me was too strong- But I graciously declined the trailer. So here I am loaded and ready to go- NO TRAILER. I scramble and start calling Uhaul, letting them know I need to tow my new Ford Fiesta from Colorado Springs to Prescott. Reluctently I book an OUTRAGOUSLy priced trailer. Tuck my tail between my legs and hit the road. In my sorrow I called a buddy of mine and asked if he knew of anybody with a car hauler I could borrow last second. 20 miniutes later he calls and says a buddy across town has his jeep in the shop and an empty trailer. I rejoice, but hold back awaiting the condition of said trailer.

To my surprised I arrive late at night to a beautiful free trailer. In great shape and almost all the lights worked. ( we could take our chance with one tail light or trouble shoot it at a truck stop later). I exchange some hellos and thanks yous..Hook up and hit the road. About an hour into my drive I get a call. Hey buddy- "Um what did you say you were gonna haul back with that trailer?" I respond oh just a k5 with a camper. The line is silent....... "Well heres the thing- the trailer should be okay on weight.. But its a tight fit with my jeep"... So while I drive I have Suzy my co-piolet look up the width of a stock k5.. I get numbers all over the place. WMS easy number to find. Finaly OD no so much.
To heck with it- We will make it fit!
We drive all night only to stop for a quick cat nap somewhere in Utah. Get on the road to Colorado.

During my two week waiting period, I decided to check Craigslist Colorado for some builder parts.. I score a Dana 44 with ARB and fresh 4.56 years for cheap. The guys would even toss in the new in box ARB compressor. My plan is to build around 34-36'' tires and the 44 should be just about ok for the type of wheeling this camper will see.

I know- skip to the good part. We arrive in Colorado Springs after axle detour- Yeah I bought the axle before I even purchased the K5. And we arrive to the awesome Grandpa rig in all its glory! It is everything seller said it would be.
Fe4JuWjl.jpg

More to come!

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
You LUCKY dog!! I got a used '76 with factory option FWC popup as a wedding present from the then original owner grandpa of the bride and it was the BEST present I ever could have gotten!! Blazers are awesome and with a popup they are SUPER fantastic escape vehicles, we used the hell out of our for a decade until the poor blazer from utah rusted to pieces and had to be scrapped, I wish like hell I would have saved that popup but stupid me it went to the scrap yard too!!
Enjoy the new ride, They are fantastic!!

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
The camper came with a book of receipts of every little thing done. It was well used but well cared for. We looked up the name on the receipts online and found a wonderful life story of the previous owner. He was a Professor at the local college and specialized in wildlife especially the Peregrine Falcon. He wrote several books on the subject. I can only image this was his expo rig to take him on his reserch journeys. I even have the purchase contract from Chevy and Hallmark camper. The camper came loaded with orginal camping gear. Some of it was not worth keeping, but some will live on through our adventures.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Getting it home and starting the clean up - clean out and prep for a shake down run to Huntington Beach for Suzy's birthday
gnLxjgz.jpg

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Look at all this clean and beautiful goodness! The book shows the engine received a complete overhaul at 72,000 miles 2 years ago. Nothing in the history indicates it was needed. Perhaps it was for the last HOORAH. Sadly the PO passed away 2 years and 10,000 miles later.
41F2Y88.jpg

Last edited:

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Oh, you posted while I was replying, I see it must be 87 to 91 with TBI, now I'm going from jealousy to hatred!!!! Some people are too damn lucky!!! You can't beat a fuel injected, air conditioned, small block for reliability, it's even been converted to R134a already. envy,envy,envy..........

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
To my delight, the top is the modern Grey used by Hallmark. The original tops were tan. After a quick call to Hallmark, they confirm this is a NEW style top. Too bad, they didn't do the 1 piece roof and updated lift.

xF76N8Nl.jpg

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
List of first stage mods

Add 12v usb plugs to inside of camper ( not a single one currently)

Solar- Trying to get the old 2 Way fridge to live off electrical - Ordered Renogy 100 watt Eclipse kit- More on this debacle later

Froli Sleep system- Have this in the box from other campers not installed yet- I know so foofy- But We camp more than your average bear

Troubleshoot the fridge, heater, and water system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior