1985 Toyota Chinook Turbodiesel 4x4

crazybushman

Hi,
Would anyone be interested in purchasing a 1985 Toyota Turbodiesel 4x4 chinook conversion? This truck has a rebuilt engine with all Original Toyota parts (it only needed rings, head, and a gasket set, everything else was well within limits) Currently has about 8 or so hours on the engine (hourmeter installed). New clutch, rad, water pump, hoses, etc, etc. This truck was built to travel to South America. Features include full sliders all around the vehicle, 2 rear bumper jerry can holders, roof rack that extends beyond front windshield holding 4 jerry cans, 1 20lb propane tank, 1 spare tire, 2 sand ladders/crevice ramps, and 4 off road lights. Has 6 new 16" rims and 6 re-grooved michellin ZX military tires. Everything has been gone through mechanically except that the rear r/h wheel bearing should be replaced (have a new one), I was debating whether or not to put a full floater axle on the truck. Truck has Celica seats installed which makes it a bit more comfortable to drive. Custom front bumper set up to take a Warn 8274 winch.

Inside of truck still needs to be completed, have all of the important items like sink, stove, fridge, etc. This truck was designed for hardcore expedition travel and as such the clothes closet and shag carpet had to go :) Our intentions were to use rubbermaid totes and build a storage rack on the r/h side and rebuild the counter on the l/h side. Cab is cut out for a walk-through. Engine has lots of pep, does around 30mpg loaded which is awesome considering what you're moving down the highway. Have tons of money and 2 years of my life invested, looking to see someone buy it who's going to use it for what it was meant for. Send enquiries to tylerigoertzenATyahoo.com

Regards,
Tyler

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Hi Tyler,

Welcome to ExPo! I've moved this post into our For Sale section.

Sounds like a cool truck - a few pics should help generate interest. You also need list an asking price plus your location.

Thanks,

Pete

haven

Expedition Leader
Tyler,

From posts elsewhere online it appears that you presently live in Saskatchewan, Canada. Tell us more about the source and age of the diesel engine so we can make an educated guess if it can be imported to USA.

And please post your asking price and photos! Sounds like a great project vehicle.

Chip Haven

crazybushman

Hi Everyone,

I have had a flood of emails asking about this truck. Location-Calgary, AB. I'm presently out of town for the weekend, but should be able to get some pictures up next week if I'm allowed to post pictures on this site. Asking price..... I'm not sure as of yet what's a fair price to ask. I can tell you that I have way more money into this vehicle then I'll ever get back. Somewhere around 10K would be nice. Can this truck be imported into the US? Of course it can, I bought it in Kalispell, Montana in the first place and imported it into Canada in 2003. I built up a guage cluster that mounts on the dash beside the regular guages and includes Boost, EGT, Oil px, and an hourmeter. Entire camper truck is white (using aircraft grade Endura polyurethane), not the greatest paint job I've ever done but this truck was built for one purpose only, and that wasn't to look pretty. Hood is painted flat black, window security mesh, rims, rear fold down ladder, etc. painted a flat endura desert sand colour. Comes with enough metal to build whatever internal combination you'd like. Unfortunately this vehicle sat outside for several years right after all of the exterior metal work was completed and the sliders, rear bumper, front fender bars, and roof rack need to be painted yet. I started by wirebrushing and painting the front bumper but time is a bit of an issue. It's a long story as to why this truck was built and why the project got put on hold, I'd like to see someone else use it for what it was designed for. Cheers!

Tyler

crazybushman

Forgot to mention, this truck came with a factory turbodiesel 2.5Litre 2LT engine. The only year in north america where you still had the solid axle and the option of getting it in a turbodiesel, this is a rare truck to begin with, now the only one like it in the world (correct me if I'm wrong). You can get parts for these but it involves a little bit of hunting.

Tyler

crazybushman

I might trade it for something as well, my wife will hate me forever if I trade it for yet another vehicle, but I might be interested in a Toyota pickup or Landcruiser.

Cheers!
Tyler

crazybushman

Lory,
I'd like to get 20K for it, but it's simply not worth that much to anyone else except me :) I'll start by asking 10 for it. Thanks!!

Tyler

haven

Expedition Leader
Let's see if I've got it this time!

The truck chassis is a USA model 1985 Toyota standard cab pickup. It is equipped with the original 2L-T 2.4L turbo diesel engine, 5 speed manual trans, 4x4, manual locking hubs, manual transfer case and solid front axle it was sold with back in 1985. The engine was recently re-built, and the running gear is in working order (except for a wheel bearing).

The Chinook fiberglass body was taken from a donor vehicle, and you're in the middle of refurbishing it and adapting it to the truck chassis.

Location of the truck is Calgary, Alberta.

Asking price is $10,000 USD.

Here are a couple of photos of similar vehicles

toyotachinook1.jpg

toyotachinook2.jpg

laurie-the-lorry

Adventurer
Those two pictures are a fine example of how you can transform a vehicles appearance with a little paint job and a few shinny bits!

crazybushman

I still haven't found all of the truck pictures, here is one though so you get the idea.
campertruck1-1.jpg

The tubes coming up on either side of the windshield support the rack which isn't installed in these pictures.

Cheers!
Tyler

laurie-the-lorry

Adventurer
Now that does look interesting...

I have forwarded the link to a mate of mine who may or may not be in touch.Good look with the sale.

I wish I wasinthe market right now, I think your price is very fair

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
South American bound

Crazybushman,
Do you still have the unit? My guess is you have sold and gone on to other avenues, and we'll never know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior