Gen 3 Odd noise from the front differential and clunk - anyone else experience this?

Skidmarkart

Observer
Okay, I think I have some insights into what this problem is, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced something similar. Has anyone experienced this?

My Gen 3 has started occasionally having a noise that is audible when you decelerate at low speeds, then a clunk when you are almost stopped. You can tell the noise is part of rotating drivetrain (because the pitch audibly lowers as you slow down), there's a slight feeling of resistance untilt he clunk, and then everything feels normal again. I don't get any lights (like 4x4 map the shows what is engauged or anything like that. And I've just replaced all of the front brakes (the problem was both pre and post brake work). So, it is not brake related.

What I think it sounds like, is that the front differential is trying to engauge (even though I am in 2wd), and the grinding is taking place because it is not turning fast enough to lock in. As I slow down, it eventually gets close enough to the speed and the differential is able to lock in, which causes the clunk. Once the clunk happens, the pinion gear seems to be locked in, and everything functions normally. For now, I have just left her in 4wd, and though I just started, I have not experienced the problem again.

In researching the issue, it seems the Montero's default position is actually in 4wd, and it needs a signal at start-up, and in operation to stay in 2wd. This issue (or one very similar to it) can be caused if the signal that tells the front diff to stay disconnected is lost. So, cleaning of the solinoids between the 2wd/4wd selector should be cleaned. I found a useful thread about it here https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/m...ixed-4x4-flashing-lights-related-23273/page2/

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. If so, how did you fix it? Do you have any advice?

Anyone know where those relays are?

TIA for any info.

Last edited:

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
The solenoid is on the left side (passenger) of the engine bay mounted to the inner wheel well.
2013-01-24_041115_solenoids_front.jpg

Also double check the vacuum lines for leaks and that the actuator is not having a problem.

The Viper

Adventurer
The freewheel clutch solenoid is one of the easiest parts to replace. Its located right next to the airbox. Heres a pic...

2z59o61.jpg

EDIT: LOL, seriously Michael Brown, we decide to post the same pic, 3 minutes apart, well mine has a fancy red circle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles