Everlanders Build - F550 Composite Overlander

MaTaLa

Wow, thx for sharing! I won't ever have it near as uber as the great work you've done here but it's a wealth of ideas for this old noob and his F450

Everlanders

Next, I had the aluminum step boxes CNC cut and we welded them up, And while in the garage I could dry fit them, but I couldn't install them permanently because the whole thing would no longer fit out of our garage door. I barely had room to move around let alone do anything productive. I had to get this thing out of here...

IMG_20160530_201922.jpgIMG_20160529_142333.jpg

The day started out with plans to simply pull the box out of the garage and keep it in the back alley. The garage was in a desperate need of a cleaning, there was aluminum sawdust and fiberglass dust everywhere. But once we got it outside I realized that without doors it's was going to become a plaything for the neighborhood Hoodlums.

IMG_20160612_151000.jpg

Forum member steveo-mt has been an enormous help throughout this build, and this day, in particular, I will be forever thankful, he was in there like a dirty shirt, winching the Box up onto the chassis, installing the aluminum step boxes and doors, all in one afternoon. It was an exhausting day but we needed to secure the vehicle.

IMG_20160612_170502.jpg

I had not considered a metallic paint job with gold pearl flakes topped with 7 coats of clear for $9,600 - Instead I used a General Paints Industrial Enamel, $40cad for 3.7 liters.

I couldn't find a local auto body shop that could (a) fit the truck in their spray booth, and (b) willing to do the E grade quality of work I was looking for. I was fortunate to find a professional auto body painter who was willing to bring his sprayer and spray it in the back alley. For those worried that he didn't have a respirator, he filtered all his air through a cigarette, so he should be fine. We used about 15 liters spraying 2 coats.

IMG_20160622_205919.jpg

I'm very happy with the color and durability of this paint, I've dragged it through some pretty narrow trails and it's never scratched right through, lots of scuffs all the way down the side… (Which is one reason I don't have windows). I also like the fact that I can roll or brush touch-ups or spray with a touch-up gun any other accessories that I want to color match.

IMG_20160702_133237.jpg
IMG_20160702_165052.jpg

Anyway, Kara and I masked and painted the trim flat back with rattle cans and we were disguised as presentable, enough to take this Beast on the road without getting pulled over. And just in the nick of time too, in spite of the box being essentially empty, I wanted to be able to take it out for our 10-year anniversary, my secret deadline.

IMG_20160702_180352.jpg

If this picture makes me look like I‘ve worked my fingers to the bone, Every waking hour, evenings and weekends, for 7 months outside of my 8 to 5, it's because I had.

IMG_20160708_202333.jpg

But that smile tho'

IMG_20160717_150939.jpg

Videos for this section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MlN0xplkJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-plHnNaUks

0.jpg

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
What's your opinion of those Continental tires and how are they holding up? How many miles do you expect to see out of them. Nice build BTW.

Loubaru

Adventurer
Great build! Love how quickly its moving :). The box hold down system is very interesting/ingenious. Is that something normally done or is this your original idea? I don't think I've ever seen it but it seems like a great idea especially with with the UHMWPE. Are those valve actuators?

gnx7

I have to say you have one of the coolest looking overlanding rigs I have ever seen.

Ditto! Talk about inspiring. I went to bed at 2am last night watching way too many episodes you guys had on YouTube. That is a sick rig and love that it is homebuilt.

Have you had any flexing or loud creaking of the box since only the frame base is 2x2" square tubing? Meaning I'm surprised that you didn't use that to do the majority of the upper portion as well ... but maybe the composite sheets really just tie it all together well enough.

Everlanders

I've watched all of your videos, been subscribed to your channel since the beginning.

Thanks, Jack - You’re one of the good ones!

This things amazing, nice work so far!!

Thanks!

I just watched all your videos and boy was it interesting! There is more than enough "cute couple in the woods" content out there but looking at someone building a DIY earthroamer is ...unique!

I actually wished you made more indepth videos about those cushion template you used, how to sew them, etc.

Same thing about how you calculated your solar need and batterie sizes, etc...

You are clearly detail oriented and talented so it would be very nice to learn from you!

Thanks!!

Are you saying we’re not cute?

That cushion video was terrible… If you watch again you can see me getting frustrated trying to run the camera, stay in frame, remember what I was trying to say and appear to know what I’m talking about. Thankfully Kara came and started running the camera, but being informative went out the window. I suggest checking out the videos by “Sailrite” on “Box Cushions”. That’s where I got my information.

Solar, Batteries… Don’t get me started… It’s a huge topic with so much miss-information. Every schmuck with a flexible adhesive backed panel is a self proclaimed expert. I do want to make a more informative video with real world expectations on solar and LiFe batteries.

Wow, thx for sharing! [...] the great work you've done here [...] wealth of ideas

Thanks!!!

I agree with the above comments. I watched a few videos, lot of out of the box thinking here. Not sure I could deal with the no windows thing.

We always planned to put in windows, but as you all know, decent quality windows are quite expensive, The longer we went without them the more we liked not having water condensing when in the snow and sun beaming in at 4am when up north… We can always cut a big hole, but it’s a lot harder to uncut a hole.

You should move this to "other expedition campers"

I sent a message a week ago, no response yet.

What's your opinion of those Continental tires and how are they holding up? How many miles do you expect to see out of them. Nice build BTW.

We like them, and have had no problems… Although we have not used any others. Someone just tried to slash our tire this fall, a bunch of stab attempts, but didn’t get through... lol

We’ve got 20,000km on them already and no visible wear, I may measure the difference if I get a chance.

Great build! Love how quickly its moving :). The box hold down system is very interesting/ingenious. Is that something normally done or is this your original idea? I don't think I've ever seen it but it seems like a great idea especially with with the UHMWPE. Are those valve actuators?

Thanks!!!!

I feel the hold down design is a hybrid of the more traditional 3 point mount. Allowing that movement, but also clamping down tight if needed. It was conceived by a couple of guys on the design team. Both ME’s and employed in the heavy machinery design and Fab world. They aren’t for valves, they are used on Semi-Airbrake systems.

I have to say you have one of the coolest looking overlanding rigs I have ever seen.

Thanks!!!!!!

Ditto! Talk about inspiring. I went to bed at 2am last night watching way too many episodes you guys had on YouTube.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! Every view and sub helps!

That is a sick rig and love that it is homebuilt.

Have you had any flexing or loud creaking of the box since only the frame base is 2x2" square tubing? Meaning I'm surprised that you didn't use that to do the majority of the upper portion as well ... but maybe the composite sheets really just tie it all together well enough.

...Uh, No… It’s solid. There is nothing that can creak, no two surfaces can rub...

JSwanson

Observer
This rig is amazing! Do you have a link or can you tell me where you sourced your fiberglass body panels? Thanks for sharing this build and the videos are great!

Lwing

Nice work, watched every video and had trouble finding your posts here again, a lot of us here are researching our own builds and I had lots of questions along the way, ME involved make me question my sounding boards
Specs and links posted to suppliers would be awesome, unless your planning a future I understand.
Source for your Rv door?
Panels?
Are those bushings on subframe replaceable ?
Thanks

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Very nice! I will have to go back and watch the videos! I am more of a picture guy though, so thanks for starting the thread!

Is that the 'mega raptor' front end bits?

And I would be very interested if your willing to share the cut files for the front bumper..... I have an 08 and I think it would be fairly easy to adapt the width to fit mine. I like the modular wing idea!

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Thanks! I drew a bulk of the CAD myself, although I had help from several ME friends who work in the industry. I did get ahold of the CAD model from Ford, but it was 8 gigs and when opened it brought my high-end system to it's knees. So I just used the body panels you can see there and omitted most everything else. But as you can see, the Ford Model is very detailed:

View attachment 432409

How does one go about getting CAD files from the major auto manufacturers? Asking for a friend.. ;)

technomadness

Edit: Ah, now I found it: the ElectroDacus which seems to be a combo MPPT controller and BMS.

I’ve been watching your videos for months.

Your pneumatic solar array is the bomb, been thinking about copying it— that way I won’t need an awning!

I am curious about what you’re using for a BMS- and I saw some digital battery controller (maybe separate from your BMS, or maybe it was your BMS) that I’m wondering if it’s open source or for sale? Or did you design it yourself?

The thing I’m talking about has a display that looks like it’s OLED, May be raspberry pi based, and appears in your videos but I don’t remember you saying what it was.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz