The Official XV-JP Fetching Thread

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Well, adventurers . . . as some of you know, I just got me this spiffy EarthRoamer-converted XV-JP Jeep camper, which makes me real happy. Less good is the fact that it's parked nearly 3,000 miles away.

The truck needs to get from West Chester PA (just west of Philadelphia) to the EarthRoamer facility in Lafayette CO (just north of Denver). Google Maps says it's 1727 miles, and my Midwestern upbringing tells me there's a lot of farm fields and domestic animals for scenery.

Option One is to have it trucked. Option Two is for me to fly to PA and drive it back. Not too much different in cost, if you consider any wear and tear on the Jeep. Both are good enough options.

Based on some comments I've received after right after the purchase, though, I feel I should ask if there's an ExPo member chomping at the bit for a small vacation in the little EarthRoamer. The idea would be that if someone from the East Coast is interested in donating the time to drive the rig from Philly to ER, I could pony up the gas money, tolls and a plane ticket home from Colorado. Probably use up 3-4 days of your time going pretty much down the interstate, but there wouldn't be any problem if someone wanted to wobble a bit and use a little more time going a more scenic route. (No, not by way of the Dusy-Ershim Trail ;) )

There's a little flex in the timing but not too much. You'd have to get started in the next ten days for sure.

It's an unusual plan, there'd be a fair number of details to work out, and I'm not sure anything will come of it because I'm leaning towards having the adventure myself, but if anyone wants to investigate this idea further, send me a PM pretty much immediately indicating your interest.

Admittedly, it's a long shot, but I didn't want to just assume on behalf of everyone that it wasn't worth mentioning.

Willman

If it was me....I would have the rig shipped

-no wear & tear
-saves you time
-Less money you have to buy in gas this year
-Don't have to worry about somebody crashing your rig if you have others drive it for you....
-And on the list goes....

That's my .02's!

Congrads on the new rig!

Can't wait to read about her adventures!

;)

CSG

Explorer
Congrats and I agree 100% with Willman. Shipping is the safest, smartest way to get your new rig.

ThomD

Explorer
Wow Mike. From where I'm sitting that is an incredibly generous offer. I wish I had the time to partake.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Mike, yosh says i can drive it from SoCal to Portland... im holding her to it! If you need any help or come this way at any point, hit me up.
Maybe i can bring it out from ER HQ after it's been gone through :D

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
I'm Game!

I would be happy to make it work, I've got a 9 days off coming up shortly and nothing planned as my expo truck will be in the shop. Send me a PM if this still needs to get done, I live for roadtrips and have a clean driving record.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Against all odds, things seem to be coming together nicely to get the truck from Philly to EarthRoamer this coming week. Watch this space for details, and thanks to everyone showing an interest.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
The Transporter

Hey, ExPo! After what seemed like endless arm-twisting, and hours of deliberation, Mike finally convinced me to take on the responsibility of driving his new Earthroamer XV-JP on a cross-country adventure. Grudgingly, I agreed to bear this onerous burden. ;)

Is this what Frodo felt like?

Rest-assured, his new vehicle is in good hands - and unlike the Lord of the Rings finale, his Jeep will not be driven into a swirling vortex of molten lava.

The adventure begins on Saturday morning. I will disembark from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and head west. The link below will show you my general route. But the question remains...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...6,-105.95335&sspn=0.071034,0.1478&ie=UTF8&z=5

Where should I stop along this route, when I'm weary from driving, that will allow me to enjoy the vehicle's best qualities as a camper?

:1888fbbd:

I don't intend to deviate from my route too much, but I would like to experience some remote, natural destinations not too far from the exit ramp - without costly fees, and the uneasy strumming of banjos. Can you guys recommend any other points of interest?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Oh yeah! Expect regular updates! I plan to make it my mission to find wifi at least once a day. I'll post pics at the very least.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Purple People Eater said:
Don't be surprised when cshontz never shows up in Colorado...

Hmmm... come to think of it, I do happen to know Scott Brady's exact position. :D

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Nice Chris,
You will enjoy the ride for sure!
I drove an XVJP about 450 miles from Moab to AZ and I was pleasantly surpized at the comfortable onroad ride. I've also driven with a few of them on the trail and, well, they are pretty much all around cool!

Drive Safe!
Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior