1958 Alaskan Camper - 10ft non-cabover

jesusgatos

Explorer
This a really nice vintage camper. If you don't know what an Alaskan Camper is, visit www.alaskancamper.com. It's a very high quality hard-sided pop-up camper. This one is in pretty good condition, considering it's age and has minimal water damage. Otherwise it's in great shape. It's a good candidate for a restoration project. I was planning on putting it on a utility bed and making a small camper trailer to tow behind my Tacoma, but ended up building a Deuce motorhome conversion instead.

Asking $350obo.

EDIT: Finally took some pics. Sorry to everyone that's asked me for them, I've just been crazy-busy. This was the first time I've looked at it since last winter and I was really disappointed to see that there is water damage where there wasn't any before last winter. The roof appears to have started leaking at some of the seams and needs to be re-sealed. I'd like to see this thing get some love before it deteriorates any further. Tried to take pictures of everything that's WRONG with it, so that any potential buyers will know what they're getting into. I forgot to take a picture of the floor, but it looks solid from underneath (no significant water damage).

alaskan_camper_01.jpg

alaskan_camper_02.jpg

thr3e

4our

fiv5

6ix

se7en

ei8ht

nin9

10n

e11en

twe12e

thir13en

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Located in Bend, OR, correct?

Can you post photos of the camper, or provide a link to a photo sharing site like Photobucket? Please include photos of the "minimal water damage."

Here are a couple of photos of an Alaskan Camper without cabover

fuso-103.jpg

sprinteralaskan1.jpg

U1300-Alaskan.jpg

jesusgatos

Explorer
Yup, I'm in Bend. Mine looks very similar to the bottom one on the Unimog. I've had a lot of local interest in this camper, but if it doesn't sell in the next day or two I'll post some pics.

dzzz

Good deal. It might sell faster at $800.

One of these days I'm going to figure out what "Duece" references.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor

Quoted from urbandictionary.com:

4. deuce
  • 1.slang for the number 2
  • 2.feces
  • 3.an exclamation, popularized by cartoon character Stewie Griffin from popular TV series "Family Guy"
  • 4.a 2 in poker lingo
"I'm goign to drop a deuce in your toilet, OK?"

"What the deuce?!"

jesusgatos

Explorer
Good deal. It might sell faster at $800.

I priced it at $400 because I thought that it would sell quickly. Maybe I ought to get off my MMM and take some pictures. It's in pretty good shape for such an old camper. Great candidate for a mild restoration project.

This is mah deuce. Deuce and a half's is what everyone calls these old 2.5-ton military tucks. It's a 6x6 and the official model is an M35. This one has a shop van mounted on the back and these were designated M109's. I'm in the middle of a full-on motorhome conversion right now, and I'm going to be living/traveling in it for a while. That's why the Alaskan's got to go (everything I'm leaving behind has to fit into a 40ft shipping container).

blackbetty_01.JPG

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Is it the Alaskan that your asking $400.00 for? If so, can you please post some pics of it? Could you possibly measure the width of it in between the fender flares? I'm worried that the bedsides will be too short.

I'm trying to see if it would fit this...

100_1257.jpg

jesusgatos

Explorer
I'm trying to see if it would fit this...

100_1257.jpg
Noooooooooo. Not even close, unless you're planning to extend the wheelbase on that thing. This is a 10ft slide-in camper. It will fit most any fullsize LONGBED truck. Even putting it in a shortbed pickup would be questionable.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Noooooooooo. Not even close, unless you're planning to extend the wheelbase on that thing. This is a 10ft slide-in camper. It will fit most any fullsize LONGBED truck. Even putting it in a shortbed pickup would be questionable.

The bed on the 45 is 7'2" long (Quite a bit longer than most shortbeds). If I include the open tailgate, it increases the length to 8'10". I wasn't worried about length, I was worried about depth and width.

jesusgatos

Explorer
As much as I'd like to sell you this camper, it's just not going to work. There would be too much weight behind the rear axle. You really need to find an 8ft Alaskan, and even then, it might be heaver than you'd want to carry on the back of and old FJ. Here are the dimensions you asked for though.

81" overall width
48.25" width between the wheelwells
19.25" deep

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
"old FJ."

Wow...It may be old (1980), but at least it's a diesel...

All joking aside, thanks for the measurements. I'm sure an 8" would be ideal. I have to check and see, but I'm pretty sure the bed rails are too shallow on the HJ45 to support an Alaskan.

I still think it would be a killer combination to have.

Bump for a sweet deal.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Might be worth mentioning that I've also got a 1977 Ford F250 with 11ft framerails for sale (CHEAP) if anyone want to put together a super-budget camping rig. $1000 for the combo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78