1966-1977 Bronco

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Nice one on ebay that didn't make the reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967...6028QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucksQQsalenotsupported

1967FordBronco3022.JPG

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
One of my best friends is a bronco nut.....

broncobodymods.jpg

He really wants me to help him build something like this in the next year or two. Sorry for the rough 'chop, but its suppose to be a full steel body version of a Big Oly bronco that Strope build in the late 60s/early 70s.

Proposed build specs....

-Vertically sectioned body
-Narrowed body
-Body dropped on frame
-Chopped top
-Frenched in rocker guards
-Enlarged and raised fender openings
-302 mustang fuel injected V8
-NP435 transmission
-NP203/205 crawler box setup with the cases rotated for more clearance.
-Ford 9" rear, locked, geared, discs.
-Ford 9" front with dodge 60 knuckles converted to 5 on 5.5, locked, geared
-37x12.5x17 tires, aluminum rims, redneck bead-locks
-Minimal suspension lift 3" max, 2.5"x12" RR shocks, bumps, etc
-Hidden front winch

I am sure I am forgetting more things from his wish list....

He basically wants a hot rod do everything vehicle that can crawl, go down the highway, race around town, do moab, drive to work, go camping, get groceries, and on and on.

I hope he gets all the parts together so we can built it soon. I think he is pretty close now......

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Has he crawled under Big Oly by chance? There isn't much there that is EB. Front suspension is a forged beam/King-pin TIB. The lowered stance with a front drive axle will be interesting. The stock frame is really in the way of that. Solvable by moving the engine or stretching the nose & pushing the axle forward, but not sure how much effort is planned for.

(I've been part of the Broncofix forum/ML since '96 when I bought my '68.)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Oh I know!

Basically the suspension is getting lifted about 3" overall. The body is getting dropped 2-3" in the vertical sectioning. So basically we are going to have 3" more clearance between the front axle and the frame than stock, but the same overall height as stock. Hopefully we can pull 6" of compression travel out of the front. Depending on the clearance, we may drop the entire body on the frame a bit too, but keep the body mounts for ride quality.

The fenders are getting raised to the body line and made much bigger ( forward, backwards, and up ). This should allow for the 37s with a stock like profile to the chassis.

The tunnel and tub are getting reworked to have enough room for the transmission,crawler, and t-case. The rear tubs are going to be raised up to the internal body lip.

The top is also going to get chopped about 2-3" or so to bring the overall height down again. I am hopping with ALL the modifications to the body it will sit about the same height as a stock bronco.

I don't think we are going to get it as low as the 'Big Oly' but its just the theme (low, wide, and fast ) that we are trying to replicate.

The body narrowing is still up for debate. I don't know if he really needs it, but if we are cutting the entire thing apart anyways.....

toddz69

Explorer
One of my best friends is a bronco nut.....

broncobodymods.jpg

He really wants me to help him build something like this in the next year or two. Sorry for the rough 'chop, but its suppose to be a full steel body version of a Big Oly bronco that Strope build in the late 60s/early 70s.

Proposed build specs....

-Vertically sectioned body
-Narrowed body
-Body dropped on frame
-Chopped top
-Frenched in rocker guards
-Enlarged and raised fender openings
-302 mustang fuel injected V8
-NP435 transmission
-NP203/205 crawler box setup with the cases rotated for more clearance.
-Ford 9" rear, locked, geared, discs.
-Ford 9" front with dodge 60 knuckles converted to 5 on 5.5, locked, geared
-37x12.5x17 tires, aluminum rims, redneck bead-locks
-Minimal suspension lift 3" max, 2.5"x12" RR shocks, bumps, etc
-Hidden front winch

I am sure I am forgetting more things from his wish list....

He basically wants a hot rod do everything vehicle that can crawl, go down the highway, race around town, do moab, drive to work, go camping, get groceries, and on and on.

I hope he gets all the parts together so we can built it soon. I think he is pretty close now......

Sounds like he's planning to build something very similar to Gary Yorston's Bronco in B.C. Gary's truck is about what you describe above in the specs except it has a propane injected 351W and a ZF 5 speed instead of the 435. It crawls, it jumps, I have a shot of his GPS that shows 102 mph on the highway, etc. Probably the most versatile EB in existence. I'll try and post some pix when I get home. If your buddy is a Bronco Driver magazine subscriber, I did an article on it a few years ago. His truck often has a full-length soft top with seal-able doors on it and a nice roof rack.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• sledge 6.jpg
    sledge 6.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_0387 (Large).JPG
    100_0387 (Large).JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_0341 (Large).JPG
    100_0341 (Large).JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
A very nice ride indeed, it's beautiful and 'very clean'! I don’t mind paying a premium for a very clean specimen.

Though I'm not sure it is either ‘modern enough’ or 'restored enough’ for my taste. I like the modern comfort touches inside that would make it more pleasurable to drive.

As a vehicle to actually use off-highway I would prefer disc brakes up front, fuel injection for the motor, and a manual tranny.

then it would need lockers... :sombrero:

Fish

Adventurer
Simple answer... yes, I have one.

Mine is a '74 with factory C-4 automatic and power steering. I prefer the '74/'75 models to the '76/'77 ones. No catalytic converter and a different steering set up. I put a 351W in it in around 1992. It only has around 20K miles on it since then. Lot's of sitting.

Mine is recently back on the road after sitting since around 1999/2000. It took a whole hour to get it running, and most of that was getting the distributor back in the right place.

As others have noted, finding one in cherry shape is tough. Be careful of rust along the firewall under the fresh air vents. Alas, mine developed that while it was sitting. Also, the door posts at the rear of the door opening IIRC.

brut67

I've owned several Broncos over the years and find them to be a very good platform for basic no frills off road travel. They are small, but for 1 or 2 people they work fine. I'm currently building my expedition '66 trying to shore up the problem areas with Broncos when utilized extensively off road. You can follow my build up at: http://photobucket.com/brut

I warn you the project doesn't move to fast.

1966 Bronco
Cummins 4BT Diesel
NP 435
Stak 3 Speed "B" Box Transfer Case
Dyna Trac Pro Rock 60s
Bendix Air Compressor
Vickers V10 PS pump
Front Leaf Spring Conversion
15,000lb PTO Winch

xwerx

Observer
Have you thought about the 78/79 years of the Bronco?

Not really a fan of the larger Bronco. Both of my brothers owned one as well as my dad. Just not for me..

I have owned a 73 GMC Jimmy and a 86 Silverado Suburban, both were set up for off road play. I think they were a little large for my taste. Currently own a 05 F150 FX4 with some goodies. It is fine right now but ultimately the interior cabin is small for 3, it is just an extended cab model, and a little long for me. Could deal with the length just don't know if I want to.

My thinking behind the older Bronco is;
1. it is stout from the factory
2. can be upgraded to make it even more capable
3. smaller than a full size but still big enough to be a stable platform
4. it can seat 3, ultimately I think the purchase of a AT trailer will happen so that's where the gear would go.

Daniel

I had been wondering if any one put a diesel of some sort in these.. Glad to see some one is working on it.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The 78/79 full-size broncos are very neat platforms. I have an older 78 ford F150 shortbox back at my parents ranch. It never lets me down.

Anyways.

I think a very cool idea for one of these old broncos would be to swap in a 3.9L 4bt Cummins. Keep the stock np435 and 3.55 gears. Use some fiberglass fenders from someplace like Autofab. Run some 37s with no lift. The stock D44 and 9" should hold up to this pretty well if you don't drive like a crazy person. I would install a 203 crawler box instead of changing the ring and pinions. The diesel will like the higher gears. If you could find a close ratio 4-speed with a syncro 1st gear like a T-19 that could be a really nice combo. The np435 will have some pretty big gaps.

Just like everything I tend to build these days. Keep low, light, and simple.

CapelConcepts

Observer
I think the EB is totally the way to go. I like the fact that you get respectable axles, a V-8, a tight wheel base, and great styling. I personally wanted something a bit more. Here's a Bronco I built for a customer that wanted something more as well:
IMG_0822.jpg

We started with a '77 Bronco. It has full size '79 axles, the original 302, the original C4, and just the cab area.
IMG_0825.jpg

We stretched the wheel base 27" to 122", took a full size 8' truck bed cut it into 4 pieces and made bed for the Bronco. We four linked the rear and made it a coil spring set-up. It's not quite done yet, but you can see where it's going.

I also have a EB for myself. It currently has a fuel injected 351W with a C6 behind it. That'll be coming out to make room for a 4BT and an NV4500. I'll also be stretching the wheel base on mine to around 120" and widening it with full size axles. The cab is going to be something completely different though!

Long story short...I'm a fan of the early Bronco's. Let's be honest, you can build any vehicle into something "Expedition" worthy. I like the Bronco's for the timeless styling they have.

78Bronco

Explorer
The 78/79 full-size broncos are very neat platforms. I have an older 78 ford F150 shortbox back at my parents ranch. It never lets me down.

Anyways.

I think a very cool idea for one of these old broncos would be to swap in a 3.9L 4bt Cummins. Keep the stock np435 and 3.55 gears. Use some fiberglass fenders from someplace like Autofab. Run some 37s with no lift. The stock D44 and 9" should hold up to this pretty well if you don't drive like a crazy person. I would install a 203 crawler box instead of changing the ring and pinions. The diesel will like the higher gears. If you could find a close ratio 4-speed with a syncro 1st gear like a T-19 that could be a really nice combo. The np435 will have some pretty big gaps.

Just like everything I tend to build these days. Keep low, light, and simple.

The wheelbase would have to be stretched a little to accomodate a crawl box and have a decent rear driveshaft angle. Early broncos are very worthy rigs.
:smiley_drive:

Trailpsycho

Observer
Hi, I am new to this forum, but I recognize a few of the handles from other sites. As a Bronco-owner, I have to chime in...

Early or Classic Broncos, as they are sometimes referred to, are great at alot of different things -rocks, mud, beachcombing, dune-jumping and road tripping- depending on how they are set up...they can pretty much do double, triple or quadruple duty. For a full family, a trailer is a must...there is just not much room for storage...but for two, they work out just fine. I was in CO for 2 wks in my Bronco in late June/early July and while a trailer would have been nice at times, it wasnt necessary for just two people...with that in mind my trusty dog had to stay back home, unfortunately. I have an M416 that I picked up during my frame off that I am still tyring to decide what direction to go with...my wife thinks it needs a tailgate...so thats a consideration.

There were a few links posted earlier for info and products on Broncos, I wanted to include an informational site, like this one, www.ClassicBroncos.com . There is a wealth of info over there, so if you are a Bronco freak, get on board, if not--be careful--Old Broncos seem to have a pull and can be addictive. I look forward to checking out the info and ideas within this community.

As far as me and my rig, I bought my truck the year after I finsihed college in 94. Its a 76, so came with power-brakes and front discs from the factory (PB were only an option in 76/77, but were a very common one), originally my truck had manual steering which I converted to PS (also only an option in 76/77) about 5-6 yrs ago. During my frame up (11/2005-4/2008), I hot dip galvanized the frame after upgrading suspension system mounts. The tub was taken back to bare steel and is mostly covered in Line-X. I installed a 5.0 EFI, NV4500, and upgraded the D20 with lower gearset and HD output shaft. The axles feature ARBs with 4.88s and alloy shafts F&R and stop via 4 W discs using a hydroboost from an F250. The suspension is supported by Deaver coils and leafs and uses Cage Offroad long arms, mounts and shocks. It rides amazingly well, handles great for a lifted truck (5.5" of suspension lift)and flexes very nicely. So far we've driven it from Indy to Key West (~3700 miles RT) and, as I mentioned already to CO (~4100 miles RT). Ultimately, I would like to drive it up to AK via Canada or down into Mexico (Central America would be super sweet).

The only real things a Bronco NEEDS, IMO, is front discs, power brakes (either hydro or vac boost), power steering, and updated suspension (the springs available these days are so much bettter than 7-10, 15 or 20 yrs ago). Otherwise, a well-maintained Bronco will get you where you need to go, is durable and just a blast to drive. Parts are relatively inexpensive (upgrades, well, that depends), and they are fairly simple to work on.

As far as things I would do differently...I would probably look into a Cummins 4bt (deisel) swap, if I were to do it over, just for the increased economy (reports are low to mid 20 mpg even in a lifted Bronco with excellent power to weight). But a well maintained 5.0 or 5.8 is a great powerplant for these trucks. I look forward to learning alot here and helping out when I have some info to share. If anyone is located in the midwest, drop me a line if you pass through Naptown.

Attachments

• P1010101.JPG
    P1010101.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 308
  • P1010104.JPG
    P1010104.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 255
  • P1010121.JPG
    P1010121.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 225
  • Picture 173.jpg
    Picture 173.jpg