1971 Airstream Sovereign 31' basecamp trailer project (Twin Cities MN)

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I searched and found several other Airstream trailers similar to this listed for sale.
If a moderator feels this ad is not appropriate to the forum please delete.

1971 Airstream Sovereign 31’ For Sale

Asking price $15,000 negotiable

Possible trade for KTM 990/Yamaha T7 or similar as well as possibly a Honda Element or similar AWD vehicle large enough to have a mountain bike inside.

Located 45 minutes East of St Paul MN

Contact via email at boardrider247 at gmail dot com

I fully expect this will not be sold until spring time but wanted to throw it out there now on the off chance that someone is looking for a winter project.

I purchased this trailer as a project in 2017. It is still a project in need of completion.

Here is a link to a Google photos album with a bunch of in progress pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/bH3VP9RCcBdZwxTU7

Prices on these trailers seem to range somewhere from ****** to are you fricken out of your mind. My asking price reflects slightly less than my monetary investment in the trailer without accounting for the 100+ hours of labor I have put into it. That being said I really have not clue where to price this so feel free to consider the pricing flexible.

I’m going to try to get pretty deep into the weeds here to explain all of the work completed and that would still need to be done. The reason for the sale is firstly my needs have changed, at one time I was considering living in this trailer in the PNW full time. Instead we built a new home in the Midwest. Secondly I am burnt out on this project and want to build a truck camper which would fit our current lifestyle better than this trailer would if I were to finish it. I have learned a lot about aluminum trailer construction through this project and want to apply that to a completely custom build.

My intention when purchased was to clean up some of the work done by the previous owner and use it in a mostly original state while we were moving houses. After getting it home I quickly realized that it was in need of much more work that I expected and decided a full gut was going to be the best way to get it to a where we wanted it to be. It was sold to me as a leak free trailer. This was a not true, I now know that all vintage trailers leak. More to come on that. Throughout 2017 and into 2018 I removed the entire interior including the sheet metal skins, rewired the 12v and most of the 120v systems, spray foamed the inside and replaced most of the interior skin with new aluminum.

Trailer in all of it's polished glory
IMG_1080.jpg

As it sits today
IMG_20211224_113706659_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211224_130422098_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211224_130405030_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211224_130514277_HDR.jpg

Work done by the previous owner around 2014

Dexter Torsion Axels (Starting Angle 32 Degree's. 2300 miles put on the new axles)

Progressive Dynamics 45 Amp Converter

Water heater (10 Gal Atwood Elect and Propane)

Dometic Refrigerator

Original Thetford plumbing in Rear end/ Black tank replaced with Valterra

Original flooring under bathroom had rear end separation, Sub floor replaced with 12 ply Marine plywood

All windows and gaskets replaced to include sealing rivets on roof

New LP gas regulator and lines (only one tank polished)

12v Water pump replaced

Sealand Toilet

Chrome City Water intake

Fusion 30amp Electric inlet

Work done by myself 2017/2018

Removed entire original interior including the insulation, plumbing, wiring and sheet metal

Spray foamed the trailer interior with a kit from foam it green

Cleaned and recaulked all exterior openings (doors, windows, hatches)

Patched exterior openings for removed accessories

Replaced original AC unit with an Attwood air command 15k with heat pump

Replaced original furnace with an Attwood 35k btu

Replaced original stove with a Attwood 3 burner range

Built and installed new stainless steel fender wells

Installed new range vent fan

Built and installed aluminum welded frame for a stainless steel counter top

Rewired the 12V and 120V systems

-Wiring is routed between the foam and interior skin so it is serviceable

-Currently wired somewhat minimalist new owner may want to add to my system

-Exterior running lights replaced with LED

Where does this project stand right now you ask?

It’s a mostly empty trailer with 85% of the needed exterior work completed. About 85% of the interior shell completed. It needs all of the interior finishes completed. Lights are wired and working, Furnace and AC are wired and functioning. Range is hooked up to the LP line and is working. I was planning to complete the interior shell before posting for sale but was advised against it by a co worker who felt that anyone taking on a project of this size may prefer to complete that themselves so they could add or change wiring without going backwards. If there is no interest I will start moving that direction.

My wife and I stayed in the trailer for 9 months while our new home was being built. After we moved into the house I had plans of finishing this Airstream up and either parking it on property somewhere in the West. 3 years now after moving into our house and I have not had time or motivation to work on this project much. The A/C, Furnace and Range are functional. There is no water system or bath components installed beyond the freshwater and black water tanks.

The interior skins are 85% complete. They need finishing around the bath area in the rear and the domed ends. I have all of the metal sheared to make a segmented domes front and rear as well as a few extra sheets to complete the bath area. I have rivets, cleco’s, an air riveter ect ect ect that could be negotiated into the price if the buyer desires.

I am not going to mislead anyone and claim that this trailer is 100% leak free as I was told. There are 3 locations that I know will leak under the correct wind/rain direction combination. One is the door which I believe can be corrected with a new gasket. As well one of the vista windows leaks I believe between the frame and glass. The rear access hatch will leak with enough rain, again I think a regasketting would solve this. I have the Airstream parked under a steel roof so this hasn’t been an issue but should be addressed before being put into service. Two spots of about 3” are soft in the floor front of the trailer. I was going to use a chemical hardener along with some epoxy resin to fix them rather than replacing the floor. The initial polish job by the previous owner will need touching up and finishing. He never finished the roof and I scoured around the windows to recaulk them. I removed most of the exterior trim and sealed up the rivet holes. All of those trim pieces will be included with the trailer.

There is a lot here. And probably a lot more I have forgotten. I’m a pretty open book on this for perspective buyers. I’ll tell you everything I know and am more than happy to walk you through what I have done as well as what I believe should be done.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Looks like you did a great job! Is this still for sale by chance??

Thanks!
I no longer own this Airstream, but it may be for sale.
A guy named Andy Ikerd purchased it and as I understand he's a Airstream fixxer upper / flipper.

If you are interested PM me and I can forward his email address.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998