1971 F 250 4X4 is Back Home

mkitchen

Explorer
Does the Optimus Prime material give your truck the ability to transform? :ylsmoke:

No, I would have had to do the ceiling as well for full transformation abilities.
I am still surprized with how effective the fatmat is. Mo and I went for a local trip the other day and I was very impressed with how quiet it drives. Fatmat seems to be a very good product.
Mikey

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Found some extra money!

I was not sure if I would have enough money to do the cabinet construction that I wanted in the shell area. Luckily, I have some credits from credit card use and I can get a Lowe's gift card with enough on it to buy the birch plywood and addition supplies for the cabinets. Now I just need time to get the build done.

Also, not being a proficient wood butcher, I will be learning as I go with the hope of having a strong, good looking end product when finished. It should be interesting since I want to cut rabbit joints and have never operated a router. Wish me luck.
Mikey

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Ole Ruben is looking good Mikey! The H4’s and sound deading material work well in our dim and noisy old relic trucks. Hope to see Ruben in person soon. :coffeedrink:

mkitchen

Explorer
Not sure but;

I think that Bill's Suburban is running 16X10" rims. Wider than most but they look very good on the burb.
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
A wood butcher, I am not

Making some storage boxes for Reuben has definitely demonstrated my poor wood working skills. It was fun none the less though. I did a rough draft of what materials I would need to build two cabinets, one on each side of the truck bed. Eventually I want to build another box between the two that will make into a bed that is level with the side boxes and run seven feet from the front of the bed. Plenty of sleeping space and storage space.

I am also making a spare tire mount that will fit in with the boxes and keep the spare upright in the left front corner of the bed. I should have the boxes roughed in and the spare mounted before the Old Iron Run that starts next Friday, 2/15.

Here is some shots of what I have gotten done so far. I am also going to post in the thread that covers drawers and storage boxes in the storage section of the forum.

These are the bases for the boxes

25islk2.jpg

The passenger side box resting in the bed. It has not been assembled, just pieces leaning against each other.

350a2qd.jpg

Pretty fancy spare tire mount I have here, eh?

21likwy.jpg

sdjyit.jpg

This temporary fix gave me the idea for the final mount design. Rather than describe it, I will include more photos when it is finished but it should work great and be easy to access and use. Note; a 315/75/16 on a steel rim is not a light spare.

Here is a shot of the boxes without the hatch covers, but put together and ready for sanding and finishing. after they are finished they will go back in the truck and then get wired for the accessory plugs that I want to put in. Tie downs will also be added.

263bqc2.jpg

You can see now, where the spare should fit.
Gus is wondering if he is going to get a ramp before we are done.

Mikey

Last edited:

martindc1

Nice truck! On page 1 you mentioned something about looking into an overdrive transmission or something, did you ever do anything about that? Since you have a divorced transfer case you have a little more flexibility. At one time we had a 91 F250 2wd with a 5 speed transmission that was pretty nice to drive. Now we have a 78 F250 4x4 that has a C6 and 3.54s, it seems to be a nice combination for travel. Perhaps you could look into a re-gear if the 4.10s don't suit your needs.

mkitchen

Explorer
Thanks for the ideas

I am thinking of either a five speed trans from a later model truck or a Gear Vender overdrive unit. I like to 4.10 gears with my taller tires and don't think I want to go to higher gears. At this point, I am concentrating on getting the shell area done for the spring and summer. I like to take my time anyway so slow is ok for now.
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
Sounds like you have a plan for the spare tire mount already, but this one might be an option that should work with your planned location for the spare: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/wheels/131_1203_low_buck_spare_tire_mount/

That would certainly work but I believe that mine will work a bit better for me. Since I still plan to build another box that goes between the two side boxes and will open up to a 7' bed when needed, I didn't want a spare mount that would make it difficult to drop the tire into the slot that was left after all the boxes are built. That spare is pretty heavy with a steel rim and a 315/75/16 tire and I want to keep it fairly easy to get to and also keep it from flopping around in it's slot. Hopefully, I will have it built and mounted in a couple of days. Then I will post some pictures.
Mikey

SChandler

Adventurer
Ah, yes a box across the front would make that style of mount difficult to use. I will be curious to see what you do with the spare. I'm always looking for cheap and simple ways to do things. :)

mkitchen

Explorer
Well the first phase of the camper build is done!

No wonder folks pay others to build this stuff. Boy, howdy, that was a slow process for someone as un-skilled as myself. But I think that I can say that phase one is done. I now have two side boxes built and the spare mounted where I want it. The boxes came out pretty good as long as you don't look too close. I am ok with that since this was never planned or built for show. In fact that has been my goal with Rueben, I want him to just look like an old truck (my kids say that it looks like an old fish truck). I don't want anything mounted on the outside. No racks, no fuel or water cans, spare tires or recovery tools. With a truck this big, a fellow should be able to get everything needed inside, eh?

So on to the show-off part. The boxes are very solid and will hold all my tools, a 60" jack, recovery tools, and some smaller camp gear.

Here is a close up of the spare tire mount. Eventually I am going to build a box in the front of the bed that goes between the side boxes. With that in mind, I had to have a spare mount that I can lift out without it catching on any hardware when it comes out. I fishplated the edge of the bed rail with spring steel. From that I have a turnbuckle that connects to the fishplated section of the bed and the other end hooks to a lug bolt hole on the rim. If I need to, I can also run a cinch strap over the top of the tire from the front of the bed to the side box behind the tire. I have a plate mounted to the bed and a mount such as are on the side of the boxes to connect the strap to. This should hold the spare securely.

29m61yt.jpg

mtrpi.jpg

Some shots of the boxes. The shadows don't help but you should be able to get the idea.

10ok5tu.jpg

2ykdkj5.jpg

2d015za.jpg

2lnxttw.jpg

2i95k02.jpg

qreqgm.jpg

i4g6r9.jpg

I must give a "Hats Off" to Expedion Journal. The edition that came out last fall had a really good review on tie downs and straps. The loop tie downs that I bought from Expedition Exchange and the staps that hold things to the boxes both came from that article. I am hoping that anything that I have to secure does not ever have to go through the extensive tests that EJ put these items through. All of it should be getting a test run this holiday weekend as we attend the Old Iron Run II.

I know that the inside of the shell and the bed look terrible but I hope to do a Rhino Liner in the bed and re-skin the shell, paint the shell frame and then insulate and cover the inside of the shell. Just need more time and money and a bit more skill would help too.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears