1971 F 250 4X4 is Back Home

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Looks great Mikey! Very good use of space to store essentials while you still have a nice big place to bed down. I love the way the sides swing open on the period correct topper too. Very useful!

See you soon. Wish I was able to attend the Old Iron trip II with you all

mkitchen

Explorer
Next Phase starting

I had to rush to get the side boxes done in time for the Old Iron Run, so I didn't have the time to wire them in as I wanted. I ended up leaving the old wires from the earlier second deck. I need auxilary plugs to run a Cpap machine and if Mo goes with me, she has a Cpap as well.
So this week I pulled both boxes back out of Reuben and started the wiring process. I bought two fuse blocks from Blue Sea and proceeded to put one in each box. Power for the back is taken from the auxilary battery. I put in four auxilary plugs and a dual USB port. Each unit is wired to it's own fuse in the new fuse blocks. Probably overkill but since I am not much of an electrician (as in totally ignorant) I figured that I should over build.

So with the boxes back out of Rueben, I split the wiring, running power to each side and housed it in that neat black wiring covers available now. Once all the boxes are built, the wiring will be completely out of site but for now it will show as it runs across the back of the bed. I think I kept it pretty neat though.

Hear is a shot where the wire comes out into the bed. the other wires are for the camper shell and I will be re-wiring them as well.

1411l06.jpg

This shot shows the spare tire mount as well. It is working very well. The turnbuckle is hooked to a carabiner that clips to a loop welded to a 24" piece of angle iron spring steel. This is then bolted inside of the bed rail so as to be out of site. The black plate is to mount a hold down strap that runs over the top of the tire and hooks to the front of the storage box. So far I have found that the turnbuckle holds the spare fine by itself though.

2rm1u7o.jpg

Here is shot of the fuse block and two of the plugs wired in. Sam and I found that it was sure a lot easier doing this with the boxes on a couple of sawhorses. The final wiring (where we run power to the fuse blocks) will have to be done while in the truck though.

155jqxd.jpg

Wiring to the rear auxilary plug on the passenger side.

6frzx0.jpg

The driver side box wiring. This box is smaller due to the space for the spare and had to be wired differently.

e7chlj.jpg

xp7bzm.jpg

Although I have to go back to work tomorrow, I am hoping to get the boxes back in the bed of Reuben and finish wiring in the new fuse blocks. I still have plenty of take-offs if I want to hook up any other accessories. Not sure that I would want anything though. I will post some more shots as soon as I get the boxes back in.

Then I have to get to work on building the center box. At this point I am going to build it without drawers and see how it works out. I am hoping to have it done before the EXPO. Then I am looking forward to doing the Relic Run in July. That is if they get the particulars posted for this year's Relic Run (hint, hint)
Mikey

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Construction of the center box

Well the side boxes are back in and I have begun building the center box. I have been in a quandry as to whether to build in drawers or a top loading box. For two reasons I decided to go with a top loading box. The first, and most significant is builder skill. The second reason is time. I wanted to be done in time to go to the EXPO and not have to sleep on the bed of the truck and I have been doing this build as time allows between work and other tasks.

I must admit though, I have been doing more work in the garage than normal, even to the extent of turning down requests from friends to go with them on off road trips. Not too often do I opt out of a back country trip. Note to self; review priorities.

I have the box roughed out and ready for the deck to go on. It is a bit heavy and will take two fellows to load it into Reuben. It will be fairly easily removable but I don't see taking it out very often. If I need to haul anything, I have an old utility trailer that I usually use. Hard to believe that with two trucks, I have to use a trailer to haul stuff. With the Tacoma having the bed cover it is little more than a 4 wheel drive sedan with a bit larger trunk. And with the build in Reuben, it is going to be a lot easier to just hook up the trailer. Well anyhow, here is a shot of the center box as it sits today.

2vrsrdd.jpg

2z9dsm0.jpg

The box will go to the front of the bed and the notch on the driver side is to allow for the additional width of the spare tire. The rear part of the box (that is seen from the rear of the truck) is done in 3/4 inch maple plywood and the deck will be done in the same. The parts of the box that are not visable when in the truck are done in sanded 1/2 inch plywood. All the points that one piece is joined to another, is re-enforced with 1x2 and glued and screwed. The box is definately sturdy.

I have also been wanting to get the spare tire covered and get some screens on the back and side openings of the shell. While building the box, I had a local upholstery shop make the tire cover from canvas and then make the screens that now snap in. The only air flow before was from the two small side windows. Not a problem when there are no bugs out but the shell can become a bug magnet at night when I am reading. Now I can have all three doors open and be able to have a light on without getting bombarded with bugs.

Here is a shot of one of the screens, but I have screens for all the openings.

33kw6f8.jpg

I am still waiting on the arrival of the flush mounted hinges but I do have the flush mounted latches. So hopefully, I can be done and ready by later this week and in time for the EXPO. As usual, close to the deadline.
Mikey

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Just barely got the box done in time for OX

Well I got the box done and in the truck late Thursday evening and still had to pack and be ready to go to the OX the next morning. My first campout was at the OX and it worked out great.

Some pictures of the center box installed. All three boxes are removable with about 30 minutes work.

szkha0.jpg

2ikyrl.jpg

Close up of the center box

33bgtmt.jpg

More than enough storage

2z4h7yd.jpg

Here it is with the bed extensions in place. I had to build temporary extensions because I ran out of maple plywood. I will re-do them with maple when I get a chance. The bed is a little bit longer than seven feet. That was my main goal. I am 6'7" and needed a long bed that would allow me to sleep comfortably.

1pz94x.jpg

A little bit more on the screens. They are made of sunshade material and snap onto the shell. They have proven to be very effective. I had to box in the area that the strut mounts to. These make a big difference in comfort. Lots of fresh air and no bugs.

8xizyt.jpg

My list goes on regarding improvements that I want to do with Reuben but I am going to take a break for now. I am waiting to hear where the Relic Run (in Utah) is going to go this July and hopefully I can make that trip.
Mikey

Last edited:
It was good to meet you at EXPO (we met at Waymon's brisket extravaganza) and Rueben looked even better close up. You certainly don't need to apologize for your woodworking skills; I'm covering up my sins with carpet! Richard :sombrero:

mkitchen

Explorer
It was good to meet you at EXPO (we met at Waymon's brisket extravaganza) and Rueben looked even better close up. You certainly don't need to apologize for your woodworking skills; I'm covering up my sins with carpet! Richard :sombrero:

Thanks Richard
Good to hear from you and I did like the fact that I finally got to meet up. Still sore over the fact that I couldn't do the Mojave rd. and Death Valley. Looking forward to more chances to get out with you, Bill and Larry, not to mention Lance, Nick and Todd.
Thanks for the possitive statements on the build in Reuben. Now if I can get the chance to do a Relic Run in Utah, the year would be well fulfilled.
Mikey

Last edited:

LJinLA

Observer
Here it is with the bed extensions in place. I had to build temporary extensions because I ran out of maple plywood. I will re-do them with maple when I get a chance. The bed is a little bit longer than seven feet. That was my main goal. I am 6'7" and needed a long bed that would allow me to sleep comfortably.

1pz94x.jpg

Hi Mikey, I'm really inspired by your sleeping platform/storage build and I'd like to do something similar for my truck. Any particular reason why you chose maple plywood for your build? I'm not an expert working with wood (this will actually be my first project building something out of wood)..which is why I'd like to get some more information. Is there a specific name for this maple plywood you have used and where did you get it from? I've seen many sleeping platforms/storage projects on various forums and this is the absolute best I've come across, IMHO! :)

mkitchen

Explorer
First off, thanks for the compliments.

There is no real reason that I chose maple faced plywood for the boxes. I bought the plywood at Lowes and I had a choice of oak, birch or maple. All are very nice looking woods but for some reason I chose the maple. Once I started with the maple, I had to finish everything the same, so all of it is built in maple. I may have gone overboard by using 3/4" instead of 1/2" but I thought that the extra strength of the 3/4" was worth it and it is built for a F 250 and would not be weighing the truck down.
There probably isn't any structural reason for using a maple plywood over the cheaper, sanded A/B plywood but I think the finished box looks better. Certainly if I was going to carpet of finish with a bed liner material I would go with the less expensive plywood. I also had to figure out how to put the boxes together without having any finishing nails, or screws showing form the outside of the boxes. I just wanted it to be a wood finish totally. There are some stainless steel hardware pieces mounted to the boxes for function but nothing more. The boxes look good now but they were built to be used and will get beat up, but I'm fine with that.
Don't worry about skills or not having enough knowledge to do your project, just take your time and think out each step. This is the first time I have ever done something like this. No doubt a skilled wood worker would see a million mistakes but I like it and that is all that counts. It provides a good sleep and plenty of storage. Eh, what more could I need?
Mikey

LJinLA

Observer
There is no real reason that I chose maple faced plywood for the boxes. I bought the plywood at Lowes and I had a choice of oak, birch or maple. All are very nice looking woods but for some reason I chose the maple. Once I started with the maple, I had to finish everything the same, so all of it is built in maple. I may have gone overboard by using 3/4" instead of 1/2" but I thought that the extra strength of the 3/4" was worth it and it is built for a F 250 and would not be weighing the truck down.
There probably isn't any structural reason for using a maple plywood over the cheaper, sanded A/B plywood but I think the finished box looks better. Certainly if I was going to carpet of finish with a bed liner material I would go with the less expensive plywood. I also had to figure out how to put the boxes together without having any finishing nails, or screws showing form the outside of the boxes. I just wanted it to be a wood finish totally. There are some stainless steel hardware pieces mounted to the boxes for function but nothing more. The boxes look good now but they were built to be used and will get beat up, but I'm fine with that.
Don't worry about skills or not having enough knowledge to do your project, just take your time and think out each step. This is the first time I have ever done something like this. No doubt a skilled wood worker would see a million mistakes but I like it and that is all that counts. It provides a good sleep and plenty of storage. Eh, what more could I need?
Mikey

THANKS!!

I think you are too quick to underrate your skills - it looks truly great! both conceptually and quality-wise, and, in its basic simplicity, it is one of the most functional platforms I have ever seen anywhere! :26_7_2:

mkitchen

Explorer
An Update

Gads, I get on the forum and look on the Full Size and I see my post. So here is an update.

I was not able to make the Relic Run last year (one of my many bucket list goals) but it looks like I will be making it this year. So that means back to work on Reuben. I lost power to the passenger side auxiliary power supplies so I had to tear into the wiring to find the problem. It turned out to be a disconnected wire between the center box and the front of the bed. fixed that and then moved on the upgrading the power supply. I had a 100 amp Ford alternator built up and am mounting it this week. I went with an older 100 requiring a regulator over the newer single wire set ups. By doing that, I didn't have to build brackets as the earlier 100 amps were larger diameter but the same depth as the smaller, stock alternator. I am going to a heavier gauge wire for the 100 amp to feed the battery. I will have a 6 gauge feed wire to help carry the added power.

Being 43 years old, the truck, not me, the windows are showing some wear, big surprise there, so I rebuilt the tracks and cleaned up the regulators. I still need to put in a stereo but I am again running out of funds and it may have to wait for a while. I next plan on replacing the shocks and front spring bushings. So not a lot of in-depth work but every little bit helps to make for a more dependable, comfortable drive.

Bftank, if you have not already found it, there is a great site for the bumpsides called FORDification. Lots of knowledge there for the home builder. Is your F 100 a long or short box and do you have the single speed transfer case in it? If so, it can be changed out to a two speed if you prefer. Post up some pictures, we would love to see it.

There is actually quite a few of us that enjoy travelling in an older vehicle. Check out the following posts for some runs with like minded folks:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/125187-Old-Iron-Run-3-September-12-14-2914

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128280-Relic-Run-VI

Hope to see you out there
Mikey

bftank

Explorer
ive been on fordification a few times looking at there stuff, and there are a couple facebook groups for them as well ive gotten some information from. i will check out those other two links aswell.

my 71 is kind of a frankenstein. i got it in a trade for a cummins i had. its a 71 cab on a 76-77 frame, with a 460, ranger overdrive splitter box, np435 and np205. its a long bed frame with no bed currently. engine runs great. the half ton axles are gone, and super duty one tons with 38" xmls are being swapped in their place. rear axle is under it, the front axle is getting radius arms made for it as i have time.trying to keep it as low as i can with out hacking it up to bad. its currently stuffed in the garage and doesnt have much room for posing. lol. this is the priority project though so it should be mobile by the end of the month.

1971 f100 dana 60.jpg

mkitchen

Explorer
Way past time for an update

Well I have not been able to get as much done since my last post but I should catch up on what has been done. I have bought some motorbikes since my last post and have not paid the attention to Reuben that he deserves. With that in mind though, I've gotten some work done.

I decided that I really need to update the electrical system. I have already done the shell area with power with accessory plugs at all four corners and two USB ports as well. All of it wired to marine fuse boxes. As stated earlier, I also have a double battery set up with one battery isolated for camp use and the other for truck needs. I was still running a stock alternator and voltage regulator. Everything worked fine but I was concerned with the low output of a stock alternator (this from a fellow who still remembers owning cars with generators). I Looked at later model alternators with internal regulators but they were deeper than I wanted so I went with a later model Ford alternator with a 160 amp output. This alternator is much larger and less likely to overheat from use and I added an adjustable external regulator. As you can see buy the picture below, the larger alternator fit well with only a small modification on the brackets.

2cnccwg.jpg

10h27hx.jpg

With all the additional wiring, I chose to mount a marine electrical junction box to help keep the wiring a bit more organized. Keep in mind, that I am not experienced in this sort of thing so I am learning as I go. I do prefer to error in the area of over doing something rather than coming up short. This is especially true when I need to depend on whatever upgrades I am doing to get me out of some less than stellar situation that I have managed to get myself into.

I never liked seeing wires coming off of existing wires or tied to an already over used terminal. So the junction box.

i6075d.jpg

Since I don't use Reuben for a daily driver, in fact the truck can sit for a month or more at a time, I wanted to set up a system that would keep both batteries up. I decided that I would wire in two accessory plugs into the cab. One plug in goes to the auxiliary battery and the other to the main battery. these plug ins are wired straight so that there is power at all times. I also wired in a USB port where the old original cigarette lighter was. Anymore, one cigarette lighter just doesn't do it. So now I have two that always have power and the additional USB. I think that should do me fine. I shaped the bracket for under the dash from aluminum angle and drilled it out for the two plugs and yes, Reuben has a manual choke. I try and keep things simple.
The toggle switch used to work a set of fog lights that were mounted on the front bumper. The lights are gone and the toggle will soon be operating a rear facing light. The small light will come on when the toggle is on, hopefully keeping me from killing a battery. The button operates a siren (Reuben was a search and rescue vehicle).

2h8255g.jpg

2d98o0n.jpg

I also bought a small solar panel with an inline regulator that will plug into the accessory plugs and charge the batteries. I will plug into one side to charge a battery and change it over to the other plug to charge the other battery. So now I have a solar battery tender system that takes care of both batteries. The panel is small enough that it can sit behind the windshield. In the picture it looks like a tablet or small flat screen but it is only a small panel.

29xf7gh.jpg

I had much more lofty plans for Reuben this year but a four digit vet bill kind of killed those goals. Hopefully later in the year I can get the suspension and steering upgraded but he is ready to go as is and I look forward to doing some great trips with him.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78