1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Looks like a nice place. Too bad you have no AC in this heat. How was it at night in the trailer?

The AC has never bothered me too much but it would certainly be nice to have. Shouldn't take much to get it operational but in situations like that where it's hot and I'm towing I likely wouldn't be able to run it anyway without the truck running even more hot.

It was beautiful at night. Kept the windows half down and the breeze would roll through with he canvas gently waving in the lake side wind. It was about 70 at night. Comfy.

beags86

Adventurer
I haven't been on this forum for months, but wanted to see what was happening here. One of my fav threads. Any updates?

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Updates marn? I'm having surge/fueling issues similar to yours...

On that front, no I have no updates. I haven't been driving the rig too too much, as I have had some other big changes in my life. I do plan to get on the fuel injection sooner than later but up first are a few things on my new to me truck to make sure it's good to go for a while. More about that in a second.

I haven't been on this forum for months, but wanted to see what was happening here. One of my fav threads. Any updates?

Thanks!

As mentioned I haven't done a whole lot of driving in the way lately and almost no work on it other than keepin it running, which hasn't been much work at all.

A few moths ago my fiancé got a job offer in Reno, and we made the decision to pursue it. I secured a job as well (about to head out for my first day!) and we relocated last Monday. A few weeks of packing and worrying about the drive directly preceded that.

We made the drive with my buddy driving the Uhaul and towing the nova, I drove the jeep and the woman drove her challenger. I left the camper at my old job until after the wedding when I will tow it back up here with my newish truck.

My dad purchased a new car and donated his old 2004 dodge dakota to my cause. 4x4, v8, 5 speed. Should be a good truck even though it has about 130,000 on the clock. They drove it out from NH for me. I have a company truck but the use is strictly for work, so the dakota will be my non-daily driven daily driver.

The jeep made the slow (10 hours following the uhaul at 50mph) drive to reno without so much as a hiccup. By far the longest/furthest I have ever driven it, so that's good news at least! I will update more in a little bit

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I had a moment today. Well, a several hour moment. Maybe its because this is still the "honeymoon stage" and I am new to Reno, but good god I love it here.

The fiance is off to Vegas for her bridal shower. She flew out Thursday night. So today I woke up, walked the dog, and decided I would go shoot the new and old wedding gun. I had a few folks from Reno4x4 point me to some shooting areas.

One was a little far away but you cross a huge area of public lands to get there. That area starts maybe 10 minutes from my house. I also went up into another public lands area but the roads started getting pretty rutted and steep... and Being alone/unfamiliar with the area I turned around.

Still. I went shooting for maybe an hour, and then tooled around in the hills for another few hours just getting lost and finding my way back to the main road.

It's SO beautiful out here. I'm incredibly happy with this area.

Glamor shot....

This was a little creepy looking, with the kid toys and all...

This is the shooting area i found. Very clean, not trashed, beautiful little area, remote. (P.S. I pack out what I pack in including brass)

Dont mind my Dahli mirror

After shooting I just started driving down random roads

Heade dup into the hills. Nice sandy roads werent too rutted out, but were getting narrow and steep. First time I've used 4x4 in months lol.

And, headed back down.

Anyway. Awesome morning spent alone.

justcuz

Explorer
Did you actually throw away that lock right? I suspect you could have sold it easily. If you still have it I would be interested in buying it from you.
You'll like Reno, lots of variety, in terrain and weather.
Glad to hear the Wagoneer is running well, maybe it likes that altitude better.
Keep plugging along, I like the Wagoneers, Travelall's and Suburbans. 110, 120 and 130 inch wheelbases.
What I really like about them is, if your by yourself or one other person, you don't need a tent, your gear is out of the elements and they really are not as big as folks think they are.
As an example my daughters 92 full size Blazer is 111" wheelbase, a Tahoe is 117" and a Suburban is 130", the same as a long bed standard cab pickup. My sons 93 Chevy extended cab is 141.5" wheelbase and we drive that all over the place.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Phew, been a crazy few months here.

I'm married and back. Took the truck for a ride the other day up to virginia City and my oil pressure gauge (mechanical) was showing 0 PSI at idle and like 35PSI at 65mph. Something is going on because this has always had good oil pressure (50 on the highway and 10ish at idle).

I'll be doing an oil change this weekend and also replacing the mechanical gauge and line. Hoping its a faulty gauge. The other week i noticed it being somewhat fidgety so possibly there is something going on inside of it.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Congratulations!

The Dakota should be good. 130k? Just sold our old 95 corolla with 428k. My zj has 198k. If you service it, it should hold up no problems. Until you grow out if it that is.

Metal Man

Fabricator
Well if it is starting to loose the bottom end I'd say look into what you can pick up a 4.8L LS for. Much cheaper than the 5.3L and only about 10 horse less, plus no more carb! Motor and trans can be had from a pick n pull yard for under $800, then get the $200 kit for the wiring. Just a thought, Love the waggy man. Got me lookin' hard for a FSJ Cherokee.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Congratulations!

The Dakota should be good. 130k? Just sold our old 95 corolla with 428k. My zj has 198k. If you service it, it should hold up no problems. Until you grow out if it that is.

Thanks!

And yeah the truck should be good for a while. Just put a new tonneau cover on it. Thinking the clutch is about to give out (can hear it, and also it's leaking from somewhere) but that's okay. Otherwise it's good. I put new shocks all around, fixed an oil leak, replaced the rotted bumper, and am waiting on new tires. The exhaust practically fell off not that long ago so it got new 3" pipe and a magnaflow. Sounds good and runs good :) I have put a few thousand miles on it with it loaded way down and towing since I have gotten it and its nice. I REALLY like having a modern vehicle of my own. It's got me thinking about the future of the Wagoneer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998