1976 Chevy K20 - Retro Adventure Build

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Wow, that paint cleaned up nicely! Huge difference between the first and second photo. Do tell, where did you find this gem?? I have been scouring western craigslist pages for something similar (you can see through most of the trucks here in the Midwest...)

Good luck with the build, I'll definitely be following along.

I found this in nor cal and brought it so cal! Lake Shasta area!

Thank you, I appreciate it!

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Yeah I don’t think I’ll wheel hard enough to warrant anything too crazy! I’m not trying to spend an arm and a leg but I’m going to make sure it’s clean, safe, and ready for an adventure. I will do my best to get some Springs here shortly.

I went through your build thread and I loved it!
Sounds good! Glad you enjoyed my build. The truck is looking good.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Sounds good! Glad you enjoyed my build. The truck is looking good.

Yeah, i had no idea that there was an LS in there! I'm envious of all the places you've taken that thing. I will work on getting setup on CK5 later this week once work and school slow down!

Thank you! Just trying to keep working the endless knot.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Yeah, i had no idea that there was an LS in there! I'm envious of all the places you've taken that thing. I will work on getting setup on CK5 later this week once work and school slow down!

Thank you! Just trying to keep working the endless knot.
My buddy Larry (look him up here if you really want a drool session) did the swap over at his place. He likes keeping things factory looking. We built it to drive for sure. More places to go.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
My buddy Larry (look him up here if you really want a drool session) did the swap over at his place. He likes keeping things factory looking. We built it to drive for sure. More places to go.

You weren’t kidding about a drool session! Larry has a thread (after further research, multiple) that is filled with gold. If the 350 ever kicks the bucket or ever shows signs of it I’d love to try and tackle the 5.3 swap to the SM465. I feel like that would be a great project.

Last edited:

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Between your 2014 and now this.. I just have to say it's hard to see other people living out your dreams... :p:love: hah. Someday I'll have my Crew Cab daily and a Squarebody "toy". :cool:
Looks great, man! Very nice. Keep up all the great work! (y)

And yeah, find both Larry's threads. The K10 and the Suburban. They will fuel your squarebody fire for sure.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Between your 2014 and now this.. I just have to say it's hard to see other people living out your dreams... :p:love: hah. Someday I'll have my Crew Cab daily and a Squarebody "toy". :cool:
Looks great, man! Very nice. Keep up all the great work! (y)

And yeah, find both Larry's threads. The K10 and the Suburban. They will fuel your squarebody fire for sure.
Haha, thanks! I love them both. If it makes you feel better I’m still freeloading on my parents couch ? . That’s the only reason I’m able to have these rigs. Thanks so much for the kudos, I’ll do my best to keep chipping away at her! I think that that’s an achievable dream man, get the squarebody toy soon while they’re on the low! I have a sneaking feeling they’re the next ticket.

As for Larry’s thread’s they are the goal for sure!! I drool as I go through them!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Thank you! Sounds like your dad had a tough fleet!

It was an engineering company that produced stamping dies. All his trucks were bone stock, yellow Chevy one tons. 350, auto, no a/c, no radio, vinyl seats/flooring, crank windows with wing windows. After about a year a new truck would be beat to hell due to the weight and loading/unloading of the equipment and running metal scrap to the yard. He had about a dozen trucks. My brother and I loved riding in the bed (illegal now) and I got to drive em around the facility lot long before I was 16. Once sixteen I drove the hell out of them and i don't ever recall one breaking down. Lots of flat tires though. Cool memories thanks.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
It was an engineering company that produced stamping dies. All his trucks were bone stock, yellow Chevy one tons. 350, auto, no a/c, no radio, vinyl seats/flooring, crank windows with wing windows. After about a year a new truck would be beat to hell due to the weight and loading/unloading of the equipment and running metal scrap to the yard. He had about a dozen trucks. My brother and I loved riding in the bed (illegal now) and I got to drive em around the facility lot long before I was 16. Once sixteen I drove the hell out of them and i don't ever recall one breaking down. Lots of flat tires though. Cool memories thanks.

Yeah, sounds about right. Most of these trucks were workhorses and it shows!

Thanks for the story! Great memories in Squarebody Chevy's, and great memories to be had!

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
0E4C1AC6-C16E-4AFC-9146-0792E22F867C.jpeg
Took the k20 for her first shake down run. I put 250 miles down, and 10 of that was in the dirt. The truck road like a prairie schooner, but I was still stoked.

The more and more I drive this truck the more I want to keep it close to stock. This Friday I will be ordering 2” lift springs from rough country rather than the initial plan of 4”. I’m a bit skeptical about the quality of rough country but for 385 dollars and the thought of getting rid of the front inverted springs I think I’m going to make the plunge.

Here is a photo from that evening

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle