1976 Ford F-250 Highboy Bug Out Slide In Camper/Utility Bed Rig

76 Highboy

IMG_0066.jpgTrail Haven Badge.jpgChain O Lakes.jpg

This is my 1976 Ford F-250 4x4 (Highboy)
390ci FE series gasser with edelbrock aluminum intake, 4barrel, headers, alum high cap radiator, hi vol water pump, electronic ignition with backup points and condenser style.
C6 automatic 3 speed no overdrive trans
rebuilt NP203 Full time 4x4 transfer case
Custom coil spring/ radius arm (pillow top ride like the new trucks) high pinion front axle with dana trac-lok limited slip.
True crossover steering, redhead steering box, borgeson steering shaft.
sterling 10.25 rear axle with new style 1 ton leaf springs and perches/hangers, powertrax lock-right automatic locking differential.
6" suspension lift maintaining correct steering and drive train geometry.
35" Cooper MTP's Load Range E's.
knapheide 8' service bed with rigid steel frame mounts and outfitted with hi-lift Jack, Jerry Can, Military Shovel, Bench Vise.

Camper is a late 60's or early 70's Trail Haven 8'6" slide in truck camper. Made in Albion, IN
20 gal fresh water tank
refrigerator
3 burner stove top
microwave
20" flatscreen with dvd player
Memory Foam Queen Mattress
Memory Foam Full Mattress
Propane Lighting
Full 12v and 110v Lighting and Outlets

The truck was purchased by my father when he was in Highschool in 1982. He sold it to me in 2015 and it's been my work in progress ever since.
The Camper was made by My grandfather and his brothers who founded Trail Haven Enterprises in Albion, IN during the camper crave of the 60's and 70's. I just recently found it in a backyard in Fort Wayne, purchased it, and am restoring it.

The Rig is a work in progress, I took it camping 3 times so far this season in 2017, Haspen Acres Offroad Park, Chain O Lakes and Pokagon state parks in Indiana.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great to see more old iron on the forum and even better than you are getting out and using it so much.
The family history is super cool and please post more trip reports and interior shots of the truck and camper.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Sweet! That is one nice rig!

Did you know the intermittent wiper switch and module from an '80s Ford will plug right in, to get variable intermittent wipers on your truck? If I remember right the switch and module cost me about $35 from the wrecking yard. Intermittent wipers are so nice.
I did this on a 1972 F250 Explorer that I built, and it worked great! Also used a later model bench seat from an XL with just fabb'ing up some adapter brackets (It didn't take but half an hour to do). Much more comfortable than the old sagged out springs in the stock seat. Installed a later model tilt column, with the more modern smaller steering wheel that included cruise control functions.
Have pictures of most of this stuff, and be glad to share if it is helpful.

In the meantime, I hope you get out plenty to enjoy this rig! :beer:

hayduke357

6882a05f87f4201b186fec2b600b3592.jpg

My current project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copperhead14

Observer
I cannot contain the drool. Crew cab ford, I had a buddy in high school that had a cab only at his house. I should see if it's still sitting in the barn. It's only been 22 years.

76 Highboy

Comanche Scott, Thanks for the compliment. I did not know this about the intermittent wipers, I will look into that, if you have pics and it is not a hassle I would like that. I have a tilt column with cruise control buttons that bolted right in out of a 79 bronco xlt lariat. I am thinking about going with a new cozy bucket drivers seat and making the passenger area a bed for my bird dog. Everyone I take camping always rides in the back. It is legal to haul passengers in a truck camper in all 50 states. It is also legal to drink beer in the back in Indiana!

76 Highboy

hayduke357 That crew cab is a very rare and beefy looking rig. Give me the rundown, Looks like the old External style lockers like mine, I like! You have a dana 61 rear axle and a dana 44HD LP front with the hydraulic assist ram steering? Divorced 203 or 205? Or is this a 78/79 with older front clip? That hood is newer, and so are those side mirrors. Whats the wheelbase on this ol girl with that 6ft bed? I am at 133" with single cab long bed.

eggman918

Adventurer
Here is our Ford bug out rig '68 highBoy Crew on a 133" frame and a '58 Alaskan,but we have sold the 8' Alaskan and are in the process of finding a 10' Alaskan cabover and build a 2 axle gooseneck trailer for it.. You can't beat the old fords for rugged simple reliability ;)
100_2198_1.jpg

100_2232.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Intermittent wipers and seat brackets

Comanche Scott, Thanks for the compliment. I did not know this about the intermittent wipers, I will look into that, if you have pics and it is not a hassle I would like that. I have a tilt column with cruise control buttons that bolted right in out of a 79 bronco xlt lariat. I am thinking about going with a new cozy bucket drivers seat and making the passenger area a bed for my bird dog. Everyone I take camping always rides in the back. It is legal to haul passengers in a truck camper in all 50 states. It is also legal to drink beer in the back in Indiana!

Yeah, it was a lot more work to do the tilt column in the '72, as the neutral safety switch/Reverse light switch is mounted on the column, not the transmission in '72. It was a really fun project though, along with adding the cruise.

Here are the pictures of the wiper switch and module.
The module has two plugs:
* Black plug that stock harness plugs into
* Red plug that plugs into new intermittent wiper switch
Intermittent wiper is the small black cube attached to the steer column support bracket.
Pretty sure I picked this out of a mid 80's pickup, but a mid '80's Bronco will be the same thing

Next group of pictures is all it took to put in the XL seat. Very simple, and comfortable. Just in case your Bird Dog does exceptional enough to ride beside you this year. :victory:
BTW: we grew up riding in the camper, so I'm right with you on that one! :)

Picture 1: Module with harnesses all plugged in
Picture 2: Module mounted (very simple :))
Picture 3: 2005 F250 XL bench seat (perfect fit for this cab). Just so you can see how it looks.
Picture 4: Adapter brackets mounted to go between original seat mounts and this seat mount
Picture 5: Very simple to make. :)

Hope this helps you out. The High Boy is an awesome truck! :beer:

Attachments

• IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2005-F250-XL-Seat.jpg
    2005-F250-XL-Seat.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 26