1978 Ford Crew Cummins hunting rig

Higbean

Observer
Thanks Bojak.

Not much to report. Went through the front suspension and redid the shackles. That helped a bunch with how it handles. Rerouted the exhaust and hung it properly. The exhaust shop I used hard mounted the 53" muffler so when it flexed it broke in a spot. Also redid the trans cross member as I was never happy with it. I'm planning on getting rid of the 3" body lift. Tired of the height. Oh yeah, and the grill was making a noise so I removed it to check it out. Damn thing was all cracked out so I've been looking for a replacement and haven't found one. I'll post some pics up before too long as I'm hoping to build a spare tire rack on the bumper as well as a roll out storage deal.

Higbean

Observer
Thanks man.

Ran into my dream rig over the summer.
8964366E-03BD-4DA4-BD46-C112B94FE9CA_zpsh84s2mfw.jpg

0AF7C051-4704-4723-BD4A-A00FA69AFD67_zpsbdlb5aki.jpg

The old boy in the back was awesome. Just had that demeanor that good old Shepherds get. Great day.
C3818421-0989-4EB8-82CC-2B3D9F008FE9_zpsudthafmt.jpg

Had a wheel bearing get loose over on the coast on our wedding anniversary camp out. Pulled the wood post out of the ground and drove up on it to try and not leak gear oil all over. Had the wife working the breaks. Dang spindle nut lock washers! Good thing I carry all the right stuff.
4D35237B-F9FA-489F-A007-38B6BA7AA84B_zpsikipwxcl.jpg

8CD670B3-3D67-4B06-BB91-4B6394C4AA62_zpsltiu4vxf.jpg

EFF2A6BC-B4A1-4F89-8CA0-AB68060D576A_zpscljc0cxk.jpg

Rib eyes for deer season.
126323CA-042D-4C5D-A9AE-8B9EC7711784_zpsuhbkquc7.jpg

Stopped at a friends to pluck doves on the opener and took this pic.
0C16F929-372C-486D-A018-E88EBC377BE8_zpsf4au3czf.jpg

Built a cold air intake. Brought my egt's down a bit.
FEDB1F64-DA35-45BE-99CD-004D3B2C4851_zpsw4loddzr.jpg

A281EB03-2959-473F-A92F-4DCF5808303C_zpsamorigfk.jpg

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
I just read through both of your build threads, awesome stuff. Nice to see your truck getting lots of miles put on it, gives me inspiration to get mine closer every day.
The mission trip to Ensenada is something you and your daughter will remember forever. When I was in 6th grade my dad went with my class to an orphanage in Tecate, 35 of us kids paved 150ft x 15ft of road up a hill that was at least a 10% grade. did everything by hand, in the rain. Trips like that build character and appreciation for all the benefits we have living on this side of the border :sombrero: Pics like yours help assure all us DINK's that we do have something to look forward when the time comes :)

What are the chances you could grab a couple pics of the fuel tank? I think your frame has the narrower 33" rear width right/same as high boy? I know the Super Cabs and F350 2wd's shared a good bit of parts (depending one who was working in the factory that day lol). I'm trying to figure out a way to get some more fuel capacity into mine since my 460 is pretty thirsty. A saddle tank is kinda my last resort...

Bojak

Adventurer
Truck looks really good with its current stance. You mentioned loosing the body lift, what tire size do you think you'll end up at? Do you think you can still run the 37 or will it take you to a 35?

Higbean

Observer
I'm gonna cut fenders if I have to and keep the 37's. Guys are telling me 37's work with only a little trimming on the front part of the front fenders. We shall see.

As for the width of the frame, mine is right at 38" wide. The earlier trucks were narrower. I have a donor f-350 trailer special with the tank you'd want. I wanna say its 33gal and has a factory skid plate. If you take it out of the truck you can have it.

Bojak

Adventurer
I am leaning towards the trimming route as well. I only run a 2.5 lift but am planning on going to a 35. 32's work with no rub and a fist full of clearance so 35 should be doable with some minor trimming. Big meat with low CG is what I am shooting for.

Any luck hunting this season?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I'm gonna cut fenders if I have to and keep the 37's. Guys are telling me 37's work with only a little trimming on the front part of the front fenders. We shall see.

As for the width of the frame, mine is right at 38" wide. The earlier trucks were narrower. I have a donor f-350 trailer special with the tank you'd want. I wanna say its 33gal and has a factory skid plate. If you take it out of the truck you can have it.

Our body styles are different but I was able to fit 37's with no lift and a slight trim at the bottom rear of the front fender opening.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
PM incoming :D

Higbean

Observer
I am leaning towards the trimming route as well. I only run a 2.5 lift but am planning on going to a 35. 32's work with no rub and a fist full of clearance so 35 should be doable with some minor trimming. Big meat with low CG is what I am shooting for.

Any luck hunting this season?

Yeah, I like the clearance, but hate the height.

Not much luck this year for me. My good buddy shot one we packed in for. Made a few memories.
4A8FDF6A-13DD-4A2C-9EFA-A38EAE164024_zpsbgpoiogb.jpg

Excited to take my 12 yo daughter this coming season. She likes backpacking and spending time with Dad, so win/win.

Higbean

Observer
Naw man, took my 13 yo daughter out a bunch with high hopes of getting her first deer. Missed a few opportunities but such is life. Had some great times though and spent about ten nights in the back of the camper talking and playing cards. She's hooked so it was very worth while.

I see all my photo bucket rearranging screwed all the pictures on this thread. Hmmmmph....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998