1980 Lightweight FFR, what's it worth in the US

Snagger

Explorer
Hi everyone.

I may be looking at an ex-pat job for the next decade, so would have to sell our Lightweight. It's a really tidy example and is completely original except for the removal of the radios from the back and the fitting in their place of two rearward facing fold up seats from Exmoor Trim. A link to my blog's Lightweight entries is here: http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/category/half-ton-lightweight/

So, what would this be worth to US enthusiasts, assuming they were to arrange all the shipping and duties too?

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Having just read your post again and realized that you expect to sell it to a US market from the UK, have the buyer organize and pay for their own shipping and import to the US the answer to your question is obvious - you can sell it for about the average price of a lightweight in the UK. A quick glance at ebay suggests 2-3K GBP.

If you want any kind of premium on a truck that has little following in the US you need it stateside, customs cleared, titled with a full document trail or its just another one of the heard of ex mod truck for sale in the UK. Even US buyers are unlikely to pay a premium for what your asking.

Snagger

Explorer
Thanks for the replies. It's a lovely little vehicle and is still completely original, save for the radios removed from the back which would have been great for shows but a pain the rest of the time. It's a really tidy one too, so I want it to go to someone who'll cherish it, not chop it about and trial it; it's too good for that. In all honesty, I'll be very sad to lose it.

The rarity over there is probably one of the things that makes it even more appealing to sell State-side - I've never seen any comments about them from the US that weren't relatively gushing about the nature or character of the vehicle. Over here, there's every chance it'd get ruined by trialling or conversion, which'd be a great shame - it's a very practical fun car that attracts a great deal of attention at shows while still being easily driveable (except on the motorway, where it's a bit loud, slow and basic) and useful for taking the kids to school or the dogs out and can handle most moderate off roading without any changes whatsoever. I think that gets well understood by US enthusiasts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998