1981 K30 Flatbed Camper Build

Rusgo

A decade ago I did some major work to this truck. Came factory with a big block, Dana 60 front, corporate full floater rear.

Frame off rebuild.
Port electronic fuel Injection on big block.
NV4500.
High crossover hydro assist steering
A thousand other things

...And its been sitting forever

So lost the bed on craiglist a few months ago and finally got started on the flatbed frame for a custom cabover.

Been secretly building up materials as they pop up for the cheap on classifieds. Lots 1/16" aluminum sheet. 30mm fiberglass reinforced Nida. 3/16 angle aluminum. Things are starting to happen.

More coming soon.
8a33f6d8df41fb16b44f6866bcc43086.jpg
97d7875ce2f1f2255161d716a9299eea.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rusgo

Steel flatbed using 2x4 1/8th tube. Flatest squarest straightest thing I've ever made.

I dont trust the flatness of my 1950s garage floor, so maximized the use of clamps, levels, squares. Spent as much time checking numbers as actually fabbing it.

7' wide 8' long

5dda68e69e10e4c71541e2792c371839.jpg
c6dbd7b056343dfd3a2cef72f5162a23.jpg
408d595de7e2d3e33415b7bcda95496c.jpg
34d6984cc22b751d659b9048b7fd6741.jpg
ab4be80f4680b2fbbf184d5e1883ba19.jpg

ef172cffa452e2679c06f2822a4be648.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
That is a really nice looking flatdeck you have in the making Mr Rusgo. It will be interesting to see what you put on top of it. Cheers, Chilli...?

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Very cool start. Sounds like your scoring some goodl materials off craigslist. Much better luck(skill) than I ever have!

Looks like you had some 2" square underneath the flatbed during the layout/welding phase. Did that get eliminated when you bolted it down?

What are you planning for the camper?
-Chris

Rusgo

That is a really nice looking flatdeck you have in the making Mr Rusgo. It will be interesting to see what you put on top of it. Cheers, Chilli...
Thanks. It's a bit slow going but making some progress.

Took off the stout rear bumper. It's too narrow. Going to cut the brackets off and weld new ones on for the 86 F350 next to it. Saddlebag gas tanks had to go to. Going to make some oversized high cleanance aluminum ones to take advantage of the new frame width.

Last edited:

Rusgo

Very cool start. Sounds like your scoring some goodl materials off craigslist. Much better luck(skill) than I ever have!

Looks like you had some 2" square underneath the flatbed during the layout/welding phase. Did that get eliminated when you bolted it down?

What are you planning for the camper?
-Chris
Craigslist is tough. Hardly ever find anything but I've been searching for a year, travel far to get stuff, and change plans based on what I find.

2" square tube was helping keep things level! So tough getting everything to stay in place.

Had a big yacht builder in Port Angeles Washington list a bunch of thick fiberglass reinforced honeycomb core because they went to a different size. Got it for 70% cheaper than their wholesale price!

In Bend Oregon an old guy had some odd invention he was working on a decade ago but gave up. Had a ton of old left over 3/16 t6 angle aluminum I got for 20% of retail.

I'm not rich so really appreciate saving $1000s.

Last edited:

Rusgo

Welded the underside of the bed and cut a few notches for frame clearance and plated over the openings

Extended the frame back and up 2' for length and departure angle.

Used a ratchet strap and thick sqaure tube to clamp the cross beam in place and make everything perfectly square.

0741fd7d731c397c0d6c087fdaa399ac.jpg

ed7b0b7f7125393c2a16f8bc3ace5616.jpg
805ee80c1a60e34e28773935d0c6a615.jpg

69d0d1f22c79104399c3b5f9395c5059.jpg

Last edited:

Rusgo

Basic plans are a super durable and capable rig with a cabover camper that will last forever.

Will want to be able to exist away from civilization for weeks or months and be capable of extreme cold weather comfort/operation.

Camper backbone is 2x4 1/8" steel. Structure frame will be angle and tube 3/16 aluminum. Composite panels will be bonded to the outside of the aluminum frame. Aluminum skin will be bonded to the panels, and aluminum angle outer corner to sandwich everthing together.

Walls will be 3" thick and double insulated.

Main camper body will be 10' long, 7' wide and 7' tall. Cabover adds another 4' in length.

Will have dual input fridge, solar, shower, toilet, propane for multiple redundancies, marine water heater for cabin heating and coolant heat scavenging option, room for lots of gear, double paned windows, solar shower, twin split system, etc etc.

Want it to be completely livable.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow that sounds like an extremely tough and weather ready project Mr Rusgo. Good thing you got the materials cheap. Keep up the good work. Cheers, Chilli...?

vargsmetal

Awesome truck and awesome progress on the camper. I spy a Vulcan welder, which one is it and how do you like it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rusgo

Awesome truck and awesome progress on the camper. I spy a Vulcan welder, which one is it and how do you like it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks man. Hoping to get addicted to working on it. That's the only way I'll finish it.

It's the omnipro multiprocess. The "nice" one, haha. Seriously though, nicest easiest welder I've ever used. Like it more than the Lincolns. Nice build quality, consistent operation, lots of material options, simple and efficient settings menu, works well on 110v and 220v.

Ask me again after I've tried to mig aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rusgo

Need some expertise!

These are the composite panels in question.

Surplus 30mm honeycomb panels from a yacht builder with a fiberglass weave on both sides. They will be bonded to the outside of the aluminum camper frame, then 1/16 aluminum sheet will be bonded on the outer side of the panels as an exterior skin.

I'm thinking of using a fiberglass epoxy with good aluminum bonding characteristics. Might be asking a lot of it. A Sikaflex type product might work for the frame side of things, but the aluminum sheet side needs to be more spreadable.

Suggestions?

Progress update coming soon.
0500d8d6cbb1c8c7051b57f1c5a8633f.jpg

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Need some expertise!

These are the composite panels in question.

Surplus 30mm honeycomb panels from a yacht builder with a fiberglass weave on both sides. They will be bonded to the outside of the aluminum camper frame, then 1/16 aluminum sheet will be bonded on the outer side of the panels as an exterior skin.

I'm thinking of using a fiberglass epoxy with good aluminum bonding characteristics. Might be asking a lot of it. A Sikaflex type product might work for the frame side of things, but the aluminum sheet side needs to be more spreadable.

Suggestions?

Progress update coming soon.
0500d8d6cbb1c8c7051b57f1c5a8633f.jpg

I have an aluminum thin sheet covering for my camper. Initially I used ordinary construction adhesive for the skin and all the structural stuff. I later went to a sika product because Sika allows for a lot more flexibility. I think you could use Sika for everything. Check out my build thread for more info. Cheers, Chilli.. ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998