1982 Chevy 3/4 ton toy build:o)

Wes

Observer
Thanks DoMiNiC1!

New power steering hoses installed. Check! (I'm sure that the return line was malfunctioning. One of the clamps was loose. But it has all new stuff now\o/)
Clutch adjusted. Check! ( The pedal had about 5" of free travel:Wow1: But it was still working:sombrero:)

Now maybe I'll cut out a couple more pieces for that rear bumper:eek:)

~Wes~

Wes

Observer
I got distracted again. Those Junkyard rims are in the way.

Junkyardrims001.jpg

I scrubbed them for about four hours with simple green, water, some grease remover, and Scotch-brite. Now they are ready to paint:eek:)

Junkyardrims002.jpg

I'm going to try and do that tomorrow\o/

~Wes~

Wes

Observer
The rear bumper is next on the list after I paint the rims. There might be a little delay. I have plans this weekend and next weekend I'm planing on putting a new roof on my house. But I want to get the spare tire on the rig.

~Wes~

Wes

Observer
I went out early this morning and got everything ready to paint. I wiped the wheels down one last time in preparation for paint. I then started carefully mixing things:eek:) I'm learning to paint and have been doing things on the cheep here lately. The paint and thinner are from a local farm supply store. It ran me $30 for a quart of paint and a gallon of thinner. I'm using a harbor freight paint gun that runs about $14. I think it does a fine job.

Junkyardrims003.jpg

All ready to go\o/

Junkyardrims004.jpg

I mixed it a little too thin. But it went on pretty good. I'll make the second coat a little thicker.

Junkyardrims005.jpg

Here is the first coat nearly dry.

Junkyardrims006.jpg

I'll wet sand them and spray another coat tomorrow. I'm using http://www.vansicklepaint.com/index.htmltractor paint on these rims and the truck. It is pretty cheep and looks like it will work pretty good for an old truck.

I'll wear my mask next time:eek:)

~Wes~

Wes

Observer
Hit a snag today. We were 20 miles out of town and the truck hesitated, backfired, then died:eek:( I was doing 60 down the interstate.

brokedown.jpg

A good friend came and got me.

I suspect the ignition system. No spark:eek:( Won't start. Awesome!!!.....

~Wes~

Wes

Observer
I've been swamped lately. When my truck broke we were headed to get a surprise. A friend of my uncle has had a camper for sale all summer. No one came to look at it and he decided he just wanted it gone. It happens that it would be a perfect fit in my truck\o/

This weekend we ran over and got it with my uncles boat trailer. It's at my folks' house now. As soon as I get my truck running I'll go get it and bring it home.

It is a Rancho ElRae made in 1978. It's bigger at 10 feet long and a little heavier. But the upgraded springs and Overloads on my Chevy should hold it fine. I was told everything works but the power inverter. A quick look shows that the vents need sealed and one needs repaired where it had been leaking. The missing door is inside. The lock was broke with it open and I couldn't close it. My wife is excited because it has a potty:eek:)

120922_090_zps9df470e3.jpg

120922_091_zps56d3964c.jpg

120922_092_zpsbf0db9b0.jpg

Like I said I've been swamped and haven't had time to fix my truck. I've been reading up on it and I think the ignition module inside the distributor is the culprit. I'll have to check it out.

~Wes~

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Wes, that camper looks liike an excellent:Wow1: score! You are probably right about the ignition module. Look for loose wires and ground cables too, as they are often a problem. Glad to see the truck coming along nicely and I am sure you will have those ignition problems fixed in no time.... Cheers, Chilli....

Wes

Observer
I'm still playing with my truck.

The distributor still turns when the engine is cranked. There is power on the battery side of the distributor. (Turns on and off with the key) I pulled the ignition module and the parts guy tested it OK. (He even tested a new one to double check that he was doing it right) I guess that leaves the ignition coil and the pickup coil. I think I can get a used ignition coil to try out. To test the pickup coil I have to pull the distributor. I'll continue when I get some time:eek:)

~Wes~

coded 1 and 0s

Love the truck. One of my favorite body style trucks. Would love one with a 4bt and a flippac...dreaming...Love the machining and all around tooling in this threat too! well, love everything but the flames on the bumper. ;) haha

Wes

Observer
Truck's fixed!!! Distributor was wore out. Bought a new one for $110 and she runs better than ever:eek:)

~Wes~

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Good to hear Wes. Looking forward to some more pictures of progress. Life permitting of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears