1984 Dodge W350 Crew Cab

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Agreed, that thing rocks!. Every dodge like that around here is a pile of brown dust at this point. I would love to have one for my shop rig.

Nice build. I like some of your "solutions".
But, I feel obligated to warn you: your weed-burner exhaust will make short work of that tire behind it.

Kmehr

Adventurer
I was wondering when someone was going to comment on how close it was to the tire- I'm a little uncomfortable with how close it is, but have seen some about that close before and they looked fine. the early 90s F150s had pipes poking out the side that are about that close to the tire.

underdrive

jackwagon
Yes but these Fords also had the exhaust behind the tire, not in front of it - heat is being carried away from the tire as the truck moves forward, in your case heat gets carried right into the tire. I actually had to install a heat shield on the rear swaybar links once cause the truck in question had turndown exhaust in front of the rear axle, the turndown may have redirected the soot some (not all, the axle was still black as a starless night) but didn't help much in the heat department and them bushings weren't looking so cool anymore (pun intended).

amgvr4

Adventurer
I think the OP may be referring to the Ford Lightnings. Both the OBS and later models were dual tip passenger side exit just before the rear tires. They are gas though and probably not as hot as a turbo diesel, especially one that is towing up a grade. I have debated dumping my exhaust out the side before the tire but I have yet to figure out way to do it without compromising ground clearance and that is the most important aspect to me with a mod like this.

Yea, the heat WILL kill the tire.
Expect about 50% less life from that tire as the rest. The older the tire, the faster it will break down.
That is not a prediction, or a "it might be harmful" statement. Its fact.
Not to mention the soot covering the whole rear corner of the truck. Yuck!

I think the OP may be referring to the Ford Lightnings. Both the OBS and later models were dual tip passenger side exit just before the rear tires. They are gas though and probably not as hot as a turbo diesel, especially one that is towing up a grade. I have debated dumping my exhaust out the side before the tire but I have yet to figure out way to do it without compromising ground clearance and that is the most important aspect to me with a mod like this.

French it out the bed-side? But, you still have to get it under the frame somehow.
Or possibly go through the frame? Box the frame, and weld a tube between the rail and box-plate?

Why though?
Other than more room for fuel between the rails behind the axle, what is wrong with running the exhaust all the way to the rear?

Is there a good reason to go out the side? Because honestly, I can't think of one. (cheap is not a "good" reason, as it will cost you money in the long run)

This is just personal opinion, but, the only thing I hate more than weed-burners, are stacks. Unless you actually need stacks (pulling a trailer).
But, "poser stacks" just make me cringe. I don't think I could live in Texas LOL. AZ is bad enough!

Last edited:

Kmehr

Adventurer
yeah the f150s Im thinking of are coming out in front of the tire like so:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...IOJrvXyStCd1G9KFDWokLKXA&ust=1432220693201533

I did it this way for a few reasons, mostly because it is just a lot simpler this way. You can't buy a kit for this truck as they never put a cummins in a crew cab, nor in anything with a short bed, so it was just more custom piping to go over the axle, which is the most complicated part of an exhaust. Also being shorter, i can remove the whole thing in one piece, which is a nice feature. What I should have probably done, was where I have the 60* elbow coming out of the muffler, just gone with a 90* which would have brought it probably another 10 inches away from the tire, I just thought a 90* would be restrictive when I was buying the pieces and parts. I think ill run it for a little and do some further analysis then.

Greg5OH

FYI, gasoline ICE egt's are hotter than a diesels. There is more wasted heat out the exhaust vs a diesel. This is due to the constant volume (idealised) combustion for gasoline vs constant pressure combustion for a diesel. Simply, the diesel has a higher thermal efficiency.

you can see 1900F EGT on a turbo gas engine at max power while a max power a comparable diesel engine would have 1200-1300F EGT.

amgvr4

Adventurer
Good to know about the EGTs. My primary reason is not having to deal with th large diameter pipe going over the axle and limiting the available flex when I 3 link it. Guys like me do a lot of things that reduce the life expectancy of our tires. Extra heat on one tire is not half as destructive as wheeling a 6700lbs diesel truck in the PNW. That is the reason I buy used military tires for $125 each.

Kmehr

Adventurer
I had a big time at the pull a part this morning, electric fans are only $14 there, so I grabbed 6! Ill post some photos and measurements if I get time this weekend. Here is what I got:

2- fans from 2000 Volvo V70s- these are the same as the taurus fans, and come with a really great controller, and are removable from the shroud.

1- fan from a 2001 S80- this appears to be the same as the above, but with a different shroud, and doesn't have the controller. I got this before I found the first two and kept it just in case the above ones don't work.

2- fans from 2000 Mercedes E320s- I don't know a thing about these yet, but they look really nice, are very stout looking, and have a very slim shroud package. They only have two wires, so I'm assuming they are one speed only. came from a car with a 3.2L V6, so I figure two of them together would make a really nice package for a larger motor. I don't know much about these yet, but there were a ton of these in the yard, if they move as much air as I assume they do, it could be a really nice setup.

1 fan from a 2001 Dodge Dakota V6 - (Ithink, couldn't tell what size motor was in it) also a nice slim fan, if it's the V6, then its a 175hp 3.9L, which is a pretty decent size motor.

I'll post findings on my research of these fans as I find more out. I'm thinking of putting a pair of these in my Chevy truck as well. A couple of interesting things to note from the junkyard- the European section is definitely the place to go if you are looking for electric fans. I saw a couple BMW SUVs that had a HUGE fan, like 25inches in diameter, though it was a pusher type. Also, VW Jettas have twin fans that look pretty nice, I couldn't come up any exact measurements, but I think you could fit two sets of these on a Cummins radiator, that would probably do some serious cooling.

AS far as activation, here is what I'm thinking: I want to use the two speed Volvo fans with the controllers, and have them activate on two thermostat settings. I like the idea of it moving air around pretty much all of the time, however I don't really want them coming on when the motor is cold, and it's really cold outside. I'm thinking low speed for both to come on around 140*, and then high speed for both to come on with the thermostat at 190, as well as with the A/C. Thoughts?

amgvr4

Adventurer
The Volvo controllers are great and can be rewired to use with almost any fan! They have built in on of and hi low speed as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle