1984 Mercedes-Benz GE230

jknobler

Observer
It's been a very long time since I last posted on here, but again I'm asking for a more experienced opinion on a vehicle I've found.
I've already sent an email to the seller asking a few key questions: "First and foremost, is the vehicle still for sale.? Secondly, is it a 4x4? What is engine (bhp, torque, fuel type)?"
I'd much appreciate if someone with more knowledge of these vehicle would be willing to take a look. The vehicle is close to where I live and (should be) within budget.
I've always liked the was these vehicles looked, and preformed. They also stand out from what you often see.
Hopefully this isn't a complete blunder and I'm just wasting peoples' time.
Also, I have a few questions that might be best answered here: how reliable are these vehicles and where can I buy parts and accessories for it?

Link to vehicle: http://classiccars.com/listing/251568.html

jknobler

Observer
There's been almost 60 views on this subject.... but no replies... why is that?
I could really use some advice on this subject.

haven

Expedition Leader
In general, the mechanical parts are common with other vehicles of the year. They can be ordered at any Mercedes dealer. It may take a while for the parts to arrive.

The body panels are a different story. Mercedes didn't officially import the G-Class models until 2002. You may need to turn to G-Wagen clubs to find body parts.

Call your local Mercedes dealer for confirmation.

jknobler

Observer
Thanks for the help! If I turn out to be getting this great vehicle (which is rather likely at this point), I'll be sure to do that.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Check out club g wagen for details. My first impression is something is wrong as that is way low on price- assuming it does not have a lot of rust. The 460 series is a very robust chassis, but as stated, this was never officially imported to the US. First, I'd make sure it has a us title. Then go about the mechanicals. If you don't know them or aren't real mechanically inclined or don't have the budget to let a shop sort it out, it might be a bit much.

This is a gas engine and I think a straight 6. It will suck gas but have a decent amount of power.

jknobler

Observer
Hmmmm.... well I was planning to take it to a shop to have them look over it. In Florida (if I recall my conversation with a mechanic friend of mine correctly) I'm legally empowered to take a car to a certified mechanic and have them look it over. I also plan to bring my father (an excellent, all be it retired, lawyer and negotiator) and a close family friend who's excellent at dealing with used cars. I'm very much hoping that the car was just driven by some old lady for 20 some-odd years, and who doesn't really value it the way I do.
Finding out it's gas engine is rather disheartening. I was very much hoping for an I4 or I5 diesel. Any chance you can tell if it's a manual or automatic?

psykokid

Explorer
looks to be a manual as it has a clutch pedal and a reservoir for a clutch master. For that price looks like a steal if the frame isn't rotten and has decent documentation.

jknobler

Observer
I'm very much hoping to make out like a bandit on this. I'm just a little upset that it's not a diesel. At least it's manual.
If I do end up making contact with the seller, and I go look at the car, I'll have it all checked out; the frame and the paperwork will get a good look-over.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
You will never make out like a bandit on a G. You would be well served to go to Club G Wagen and post questions there as there are a number of real experts focusing on the G in the US.

I still say something is wrong. But assuming it all checks out, remember this is a very old vehicle that parts are not easy to get in the states, so if/when something fails, it will take time and $$$ to sort out.

jknobler

Observer
It's true that it isn't practical, and there's no question of that. But with luck it'll all check out.
Thank you for the help.

80nick

Have you actually made contact with an owner? I'd bet there is a "1" missing in front of the 6,900... if you do make contact, and the price is $6,900, and you pass on it for whatever reason, send me a message.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
By the look of the seat and steering wheel, it looks to be "thoroughly enjoyed". I think it is worth a look. If you are looking for a turn key dd, this doesn't look like the one. But it is complete and does not appear to be too rusty. It is still worth looking at.

po-porsche

I'm 90% sure I saw the same guy listing this truck last year with lots of rust for less $$. I'm 100% sure what I previously saw was in Lakeland FL (i remember that specifically because its near where i lived) and I recall it being rusty. So odds are its one in the same. I'd guess it's just been reprinted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman