1986 4Runner: Overland Adventure Truck

dfresh285

Observer
I've always been into vintage Toyotas. Growing up, my dad had a 1984 Celica Supra and a 1996 Tacoma and we have made so many cool memories in those cars. Fast forward 30 years and a two year old son of my own and you'll find two vintage Toyotas in my garage as well. I have a 1985 Corolla GT-S that I use for Auto-x and drifting, but I wanted to find an old truck that we could use for camping and daily driving. Naturally, I was drawn to the 1st gen 4runner. I had set aside money and was patient for about six months until one popped up for sale. Here's a picture of the day I drove it home.

It's a 1986 Toyota 4Runner GLX 5-speed. It has the 22re and is originally an Arizona truck. 208,000 original miles and I'm the 4th owner. It's all original apart from the wheels and rear bumper.

Here's a picture next to my corolla. notice the sagging in the rear? ZUK mod was next on my list.

Here's the before and after with the ZUK mod

Hella F500 driving lights wired into the high beams with Hella H3 Conversion headlamp housings. I like the LED light bars, but wanted to stay period correct.

this picture is out of order, but i like the look of the white truck with my white fuel EX8. I'm currently getting the truck ready for a trip now. The wife and I are camping out this coming weekend. It will be interesting in the cold ohio weather, but we're both excited to do everything right from the truck. I'll update with pics soon. Below, I've listed my mods to date:

Hella H3 conversion headlight housings
Hella f500 driving lights
Cragar 15x8 steel wheels
BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO 31x10.5x15
SR-5 gauge cluster w/ Tach
Trail Gear Rear tube bumper
Yakima MagaWarrior basket with 22" extension
Yakima tire carrier in basket
Hi-lift on basket
Inno bike carrier on each side of basket

jgilbreath

Observer
Looks awesome. I want to get into a first gen when my oldest daughter takes over the third gen. Only nine years to go.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice 1st-gen!

I was going to mention that it probably isn't sag. That's how they looked brand new. It's supposed to emulate the stance of the baja prerunners, with the high front fender arches. Some prefer similar space above the front and back tires though.

Enjoy! (looks like you are)

DIY Guy

Observer
Wow GREAT find!! I've always loved those 1st gens! I can't wait to see your plans come to life... : )

austintaco

Explorer
Nice find. I'm standing here with my brother, who has an 86 and I have an 84, so we are fans. I like where your build is going and the truck looks to be very clean. Keep us posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger