1986 Econoline 150 project (2 X 4 )

Kursac

Observer
My recent acquisition has had me brainstorming of what direction I want to take it in. The van cleaned up real well. I have it in my buddies shop now and we put it up to look it over a little closer. So far there are no real surprises, there is a small leak in the transmission so we are going to pull it out look it over, clean it up and put a new kit in. The exhaust is shot from the manifolds out so while the transmission we will replace the nuts and or studs on the manifolds before we send it out to have a custom duel exhaust system made for it. The 302 motor is very strong and appears to just need basic maintenance.

I know that a 4 wheel drive conversion would be very impressive & recommended by many but my intended use and current interest takes me in a different direction. In my younger days was was very much into off road toys and have always and still do own 4 wheel drives. That all said this truck has an ideal drive train combination that will give me a usable fuel consumption to power ratio I can live with in these current circumstances. What I am considering is a tire combination that would give me better flotation over softer terrain to increase my options off the paved road.

FordCamper037-1.jpg

Kursac

Observer
I am more of a road warrior in my adventures than a wilderness adventurer. I am however not opposed to traveling logging roads & boon docking. I spent much of my life as a trucker so I know the road & I am still far from retirement. This vehicle fell into my presence by pure chance so its future is still yet to be realized. I do wish to keep it 2 wheel drive but it is old enough to be outside of many regulations with the potential to be many things. It is in pristine condition considering its age & I am fortunate to have a heated facility under my control that I can keep it in during the winter months. I am open to suggestions for ideas. I have thoughts myself but I love a good brain storm.

Kursac

Observer
Tires that give you flotation and off pavement options will cost you MPG.
I do agree that it will but it will also give me a look that I find appealing. I remember the heydays of the conversion van & it still appeals to me. I have always been a bit flamboyant and a modern gypsy vardo in the form of a conversion van should be a very fun project.

Kursac

Observer
I completely agree that "the look" that suits a van best is lifted with bigger aggressive tires

I am thinking wider more than taller, I am not opposed to lifting the van and have considered it. I will be discussing these options with my buddy on the mechanical end. I do have limited automotive skills on the mechanical side & know my limitations. My best skills will be used on the reconstruction of the interior. I am early in the project and plan on working with what is there this season to get a couple of trips in and think about what I want to do with it this winter.

the boogie van

seeing as tall as that thing is, i wouldn't really want to lift it. i bet it rides pretty soft if it still has just 1/2 ton springs all around.

my parents had an E150 and it fit 30" or 31" all terrains no problem with no lift and some lame low rider body work. i bet 32s would fit fine. i've done a good bit of wheeling, and for something like a van i just don't see the purpose of putting big knobby tires on it.

i would definitely get some nicer wheels first. putting a set of 8" wide wheels and 285/75R16 all terrains on my van made a HUGE improvement over the tall n skinny milestar tires it came with.

lstzephyr

wanderer
I would get a nice all terrain tire and alloy wheel combo on it, maybe put a air locker in the rear and run it. I almost never use 4wd in my current truck but I have a rear locker. The back locker makes more of a difference than having two open diffs do imho.

That said I have had my truck crossed up and stuck where I needed 4wd, but its unlikely to happen unless I go out looking for it. Sometimes I think a 2wd van would be better, sometimes I don't.

Your van is cool! What does the interior look like?

Photog

Explorer
seeing as tall as that thing is, i wouldn't really want to lift it. i bet it rides pretty soft if it still has just 1/2 ton springs all around.

i would definitely get some nicer wheels first. putting a set of 8" wide wheels and 285/75R16 all terrains on my van made a HUGE improvement over the tall n skinny milestar tires it came with.

I agree. Maybe a Goodyear Silent Armor.

Although these vans are tall, most of the weight can be kept down low. Not usually top heavy. I would look into a set of 3/4 ton springs for all 4 corners. Gives a slight lift and better stability for the things you will be adding.

refried

Adventurer
Although these vans are tall, most of the weight can be kept down low. Not usually top heavy. I would look into a set of 3/4 ton springs for all 4 corners. Gives a slight lift and better stability for the things you will be adding.

I think a set of 3/4 ton springs and LT tires would really help the ride, once they're loaded with a few hundred pounds of stuff 1/2 ton vans with passenger car tires don't handle so well.
Here's my 1 ton on 9.50 x 16.5 tires (just under 33" tall), It's about 6" taller than a 150 and I've never felt that it was top heavy.
Nooksack7-24-10001-1.jpg

Kursac

Observer
Got my van back last night after work, It sounds real nice with the new exhaust system. So the the AOD is completely rebuilt & the exhaust system has been replaced from the manifolds back with 2 new cats and duel all the way back. The front end is tight, Brakes feel great. I need to get the on board AC unit charged, A rear piece of glass fixed & the Shore environmental (Heat/AC) unit serviced.

Kursac

Observer
I started cleaning her up now that the mechanical's are squared away for the moment. I pulled the couch bed out to weld it up. I put in some bamboo window blinds & put the curtains back where they belong. I'll make some nice wooden window valences for the side windows and over the back doors. I'll steam clean the carpet tomorrow to freshen it up before I put the couch bed and captains chair back in.

TheGroovyRig001640x480.jpg

TheGroovyRig003640x480.jpg

TheGroovyRig008640x480.jpg

TheGroovyRig010640x480.jpg

TheGroovyRig012640x480.jpg

Kursac

Observer
It is starting to look a little better, I added some matching hub caps for the time being. I'm going to have to paint the rims flat black and they will look much better. Im still under 3 grand so far

TheGroovyRig014640x480.jpg

TheGroovyRig015640x480.jpg

TheGroovyRig016640x480.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179