1987 4Runner- Expedition Build Up.

Glides

Those are called Exhaust Donuts. Any parts store has em.

Nice job on your build so far. An enjoyable read.

Those are called Exhaust Donuts. Any parts store has em.

Nice job on your build so far. An enjoyable read.

"Exhaust pipe flange/ring" Fel-Pro Part No. 23588

Got it at NAPA this morning, should have it back on and hopefully leak free in a few.:smiley_drive:

I've been having internet problems this morning. I've got the exhaust manifold and flange leaks fixed, but doing that caused another leak at the flange after the catalytic converter. Going to the parts store now :).

The thing is so quiet now! I love it! You can actually hear the motor revving from the fan noise instead of the VW tweet that I was getting before.

Last edited:

djrez4

Adventurer
The thing is so quiet now! I love it! You can actually hear the motor revving from the fan noise instead of the VW tweet that I was getting before.

Until you put some burly tires on there... Then you won't be able to hear a thing!

Mine sounds like a squad of B-29s on the highway.

Until you put some burly tires on there... Then you won't be able to hear a thing!

Mine sounds like a squad of B-29s on the highway.

Well, thats all relative. I can handle the sound of noisy tires... its annoying exhaust leaks that just sound plain silly-stupid that I cant stand.

I'm almost certain I'm going to get 31x9.50 TSL Radials, so sound will be :drool:.

Happy as happy can be.
IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

Last edited:

corax

Explorer
Well, thats all relative. I can handle the sound of noisy tires... its annoying exhaust leaks that just sound plain silly-stupid that I cant stand.

2 words: Red RTV (well, 1 word & 1 anacronym)

I don't even use gaskets on any of the flat flanges anymore - a thin bead of red RTV and let it sit for a few hours before starting (so it doesn't blow the uncured stuff out). A thin coat of Red on gaskets is also good as "insurance" against future leaks or to help fill any uneven surfaces (like rust pits)

2 words: Red RTV (well, 1 word & 1 anacronym)

I don't even use gaskets on any of the flat flanges anymore - a thin bead of red RTV and let it sit for a few hours before starting (so it doesn't blow the uncured stuff out). A thin coat of Red on gaskets is also good as "insurance" against future leaks or to help fill any uneven surfaces (like rust pits)

I used black high-temp. Is that bad?

What sort of silicone do I need to use to seal up the air box for for the snorkel install?? Some sort of sensor safe stuff, right??

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I already have a half used tube of the stuff. Di-electric grease is expensive. Just bring the truck over and we will seal it up. Remember, water proofing the intake is just as important as water proofing the ignition. I would also like to invest in some rubberized spray in liner for the airbox, but couldn't justify buying a whole can until now...

corax

Explorer
Black hi temp if fine too, I'm just used to it being red

For sealing up the snorkel / pipe junctions, I might suggest Rescue Tape, except I buy the silicone tape that they sell at Harbor Freight and Home Depot instead (same stuff, much cheaper, fewer color selections). Just follow the directions, use on clean surfaces and wrap it tight.

Woot! Glad you found them. Mine are eliminated since I got a 3 inch downpipe coming off my Turbo. :wings:

Oh yea, would you have the part number for that snorkel?

Sure, SS65HF Toyota Hilux LN65.

Now if it'd only warm up so I could be motivated to work on the install!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online