1988 4Runner Sonoran Expedition Mod

stormnmormn

Family Trip to Titan Missile Site, Saint David and Thatcher AZ

So today, the family and I took a little road trip around Southern Arizona.
IMG_1017.jpg
We ended up driving past an area that I knew housed a Titan Missile during the 60s all the way thru the early 80s I believe. The background in this pic has a portion of the missile silo and living quarters exposed. I guess when the sites were decommissioned, the points of entry were filled with concrete and then the area was further buried with gravel. After that, a sand and gravel company bought the location and excavated it all and sold it. Go figure huh? And that leaves the large metal dome for the living quarters and a few concrete columns for communications stuff and the main entrance.
IMG_1018.jpg
We then made our way down to Saint David, Arizona to see grandpa. By the way, there is a lot of good 4 wheeling in the Dragoon Mountain Range to the east of Saint David. Check out China Peak if youre over that way or Cochise Stronghold.
IMG_1019.jpg
From Saint David, we continued east to Willcox, then north on the 191 to Thatcher. We enjoyed a great lunch at Casa Manana and were pleased to get our moneys worth!
IMG_1046.jpgIMG_1045.jpg
We stopped at the Mormon temple there and started our trip back.
IMG_1054.jpg
Overall, it was a great little trip. We mainly wanted to see how our two boys did in the truck for an extended period of time. Fortunately the A/C conversion worked really well and was blowing 40 degree air into the cab for us.

stormnmormn

Reflective Tape at Night

My reflective tape doing its work at night. The 5x7 American Flag on the back of the truck is black during the day but reflects silver at night. I got a pair of those from pixeldecal for 12 bucks I think. The quality is great!
IMG_1063.jpgIMG_1064.jpg

stormnmormn

Trip to Utah with for family reunion

Well, our trip up to Utah in our 4runner turned out as a success! It was a little over 1,800 miles all together and the little truck held in there. Our little guys did well in back and my wife didn't mind the drive either. We ended up getting about 19 to 23 mpg during the entire trip, even with all the mountain driving between Arizona and Utah. During the trip, we were all glad that I had repaired the A/C system and converted it over to r134a. It ended up blowing 40 to 45 degree air the entire way. The rear shell conversion allowed us to have more than enough room, even with all the extra things we needed to bring for our boys. One of our favorite stops on our way up to Utah was in Jacob Lake, Arizona. It sits at about 8000 feet and has a small gas station, hotel and cabins. We rented one of their cabins and stayed the night and had breakfast at their diner. Overall, the trip was successful and the 4runner performed flawlessly! That was its first trip, in my ownership, that we had gone a long distance. Very happy with how it did!
image(3).jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

stormnmormn

Melendrez Pass

Went on a little outing to Melendrez Pass in the Santa Rita Mountains last week. The trail isnt that bad but it makes for some beautiful views!
image(4).jpg
image(2).jpg
image(1).jpg

stormnmormn

Thanks man! I still need to get that decal finalized and sent off to the decal company. When I get it, Ill be sure to post some pics.

2scars

Adventurer
Absolutely love it. The shell modification is great, and truck is definitely representative of a 70 series LC. Great work!

Doc_

Sammich!
Awesome rig, I love the purpose-built nature of it, and that rear shell is just absolutely the coolest!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have a similar topper on my tundra and love it. Never thought of doing it on a 1st gen. If I didn't have a tundra. I think this would be a sweet option for my 1st gen runner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger