1988 Chevrolet Suburban V20 build

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Theoretically speaking, getting a Blazer top mod allows you to plop a camper unit on it that was purpose-built for Blazers, either a Chalet unit (which looks hokey to me) or a 4Wheel or Hallmark camper. I did a Photoshop alteration of a genuine 'burb / Blazer conversion a couple years back:

1dyrk3.jpg

asmith

Observer
I am liking the H1 tire combo. Seeing all the Humvees on base makes me want to go that route. (need to make friends with a Humvee mechanic haha) Do you recommend running dully axles instead of spacers?

cop car

Observer
i would not run spacers on a truck like this ever. some people are ok with it and never have issues, and i had spacers on a 1500 1990 like this one before. but with me wanting to pull trailers frequently and offroading it i wouldnt want to put that stress on the studs with spacers, when you can just get dually axles. in fact no one wants dually rears really, so they are cheaper, finding fronts is more difficult, but you can just put the dually hubs on a srw axle no problem, lots of guys do that.

i got these legit from goverment surplus. stealing them would be more trouble than its worth ha.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Theoretically speaking, getting a Blazer top mod allows you to plop a camper unit on it that was purpose-built for Blazers, either a Chalet unit (which looks hokey to me) or a 4Wheel or Hallmark camper. I did a Photoshop alteration of a genuine 'burb / Blazer conversion a couple years back:

1dyrk3.jpg

Now that is a cool idea! I like that idea a lot!

cop car

Observer
well she is being needy, had to do a fuel pump on her this weekend, and shortly after i got her, she needed me to do the intake gaskets on her. but as of now she is doing good. we will see what else she needs here in the future

tomorrow hopefully i can order this lift kit from ORD, going up 4 inches.

Scrib

Observer
Just a heads-up, mine needed intake gaskets too and they only lasted about 600 miles. Turned out one of the faces was warped about .07" and I had to replace the intake.

cop car

Observer
******. why are the spring perches on a 3500 truck axle 2 inches narrower than the spring perches on the suburban? i got the rear lift on (pita) and went to put the D70 under it, and the springs dont line up, its 2 inches to narrow. i didnt think trucks and suburbans used diffrent spring widths in the rear, shock mounts are reversed also. so now i have to cut off the spring perches and shock mounts, reverse shock mounts and then move the spring perches 1 inch out on either side. any one else have any insight into this, its really frustrating and dissapointing that i didnt get the D70 under there today

cop car

Observer
ok so here are the details on my lift.

got it up on the lift and started unbolting stuff, got the rear end out, with all springs on it. brake line to the body gave me some issues and its a little buggared up, but not to bad.

(immaginary pictures of me removing axle, was to involved to take pics ha)

here it is out though

IMG_3114.jpg

then started to cut Xs on the rivets of the rear spring shackle mount, i hate rivets.

( X ) <------ rivets with Xs cut on them, again immagine

realized that i didnt want sparks around my fuel tank, and that it was just in the way, so i removed the fuel tank, made things infinately easier to work on.

(fuel tank gone)

got the old rear spring mounts off, after Xing the rivets, (i hate rivets) i used an air hammer to get them off, it sucked. had to use a sledge hammer to knock them off the truck (i now have a new dent in the truck also). after i got the mounts off, then had to use the air hammer again to make them flush so that i could knock them out. did i mention i hate rivets

IMG_3115.jpg

drilled out the holes, only a tiny bit of material is what you end up removing, then got the shackle flip mounts up on the truck

IMG_3116.jpg

tightend them down

IMG_3118.jpg

here are the rivets after they were removed, i really really hate them.

IMG_3120.jpg

this is the D70 that we couldnt get to work because the spring perches on the axle are about 2 inches to narrow, you can see we got the front spring bushings in, but the rears were so far off.

IMG_3123.jpg

lastly, this is the finished product, rears only lifted 4 in

IMG_3125.jpg
IMG_3126.jpg
IMG_3127.jpg

bfdiesel

Explorer
******. why are the spring perches on a 3500 truck axle 2 inches narrower than the spring perches on the suburban? i got the rear lift on (pita) and went to put the D70 under it, and the springs dont line up, its 2 inches to narrow. i didnt think trucks and suburbans used diffrent spring widths in the rear, shock mounts are reversed also. so now i have to cut off the spring perches and shock mounts, reverse shock mounts and then move the spring perches 1 inch out on either side. any one else have any insight into this, its really frustrating and dissapointing that i didnt get the D70 under there today

It is a one ton thing. They are known to be narrower. The beauty of those spring perches being off is that you cut the old ones off and weld new ones on at the correct angle for the rear shackle flip.

cop car

Observer
you have more details on what actual angle they would need to be welded on? or just eyeball it?

edit- also what would you recomend me to use to cut them off? plasma? torch? cutoff wheel?

bfdiesel

Explorer
Match the angle to your tcase they should be parallel to each other if that makes since. I have used torches to cut the stamped ones off above the weld and then a grinder to get the weld off. The 70 I have right now has solid perches so I will probably use a cutoff wheel on the grinder. Just avoid cutting into the axle tube. Make sure it is sitting under its own weight for figuring the rear axle angle.

Last edited:

cop car

Observer
ok, someone said i cant just cut the perches off and re weld them on because they will run into the backing plates or something? and that id have to use rear disc brakes to get that to work, which i want disc in the rear, just right now i cant afford that. and what would i end up getting the brakes off of? i saw someones website where they used the D60 front backing plates, rotors and calipers on the D70. this is becoming a lot more involved than orginally anticipated, usually chevy is so good about making everything interchange.

also what are people doing for the dually suburban converstions? they just using 14BFF rears and putting the dually hubs on them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle