1988 F-250 Adventure Rig Build Up

txnight

Adventurer
The scrambler is currently getting a new dash and gauges. Progress has been slow. I might pull the cover off and snap a pic or two this week. It makes me sad that it hasn't been driven in almost 3 months.

The F250 on the other hand is hard at work. I drove it 350 miles to our farm in Arkansas and only had one hiccup. The master cylinder started leaking at some point during the ride. I was able to complete the trip and fixed it when I got to the farm. After working for two weeks harvesting our crops I took a one way flight back to Dallas. The truck is being used to replace some fences and put out hay. I think he likes the warm cab of the truck compared to his Polaris :) If the farm doesn't buy the truck I will bring it back to Dallas in the spring. I have some plans to work on the a/c and just drive the hell out of it.

Before the truck left Dallas it needed a spare tire and a tool box. The spare tire mount is nothing special. Just scrap tubing welded to the headache rack. The tool box is ugly but it works well and I already had it from another project. My intent was to install it below the flat bed but it turned out to be too long. For now it will work where it is and the flat deck is still 8ft long.

uBbJKupl.jpg

That's it for now. Have a great week.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
is that wheel off a mid 2000's GM? might want to check that it will fit over the full floater flange on your rear axle. I bought the same wheel, then found out it will not fit over the hub flange on my D70. Ford spec'd a slightly larger hub flange on its rear axles.

txnight

Adventurer
is that wheel off a mid 2000's GM? might want to check that it will fit over the full floater flange on your rear axle. I bought the same wheel, then found out it will not fit over the hub flange on my D70. Ford spec'd a slightly larger hub flange on its rear axles.

You sir are a wheel expert! This truck has the limited slip Sterling 10.25 rear end. No fitment issues.

Got this last night from the farm. Those bags weigh about 2k a piece and are full of pecans. Makes me smile to see this old truck being put back to use.

URwGwJcl.jpg

Have a great week!

Last edited:

406expo

Adventurer
more like a doofus who bought something without being 100% sure it would fit lol

good to know that the sterling uses a slightly smaller FF flange...that axle just went slightly higher on my list of acceptable swaps!

I sadly did the same thing on a set of wheels intended to be my snow wheels with studded tires. They were correct pattern and wrong hole size for the hub.

On another note the build looks great.

underdrive

jackwagon
good to know that the sterling uses a slightly smaller FF flange...
Actually it doesn't, from what we've seen all older Ford axles have the same 4.88" pilot diameter. Meaning if the wheel didn't fit your D70 chances are it won't fit your Sterling either. One exception is the light duty Sterling, it's the same center section as the full-floaters however the ends are like an 8.8 and the shafts are retained in the axle via C-clips in the diff (again very much like the 8.8 but larger) - those do not have wheel-centering flanges like the full-floaters, in all honesty SRW full-floaters don't need them either cause of the tapered lug nuts, but DRW setup requires the flanges and since it's the same hub between the two the SRWs end up guilty by association. If you wanna run a non-Ford wheel on a Ford axle you may have better luck with a Dodge wheel as their pilot opening is usually between the GM and the Ford size, at the very least it will clear the axle shaft flange whereas an older GM wheel doesn't even fit over in (in case of the Sterling at least). You can guess the circumstances under which we figured that one out :snorkel:

Maybe the newer GM wheels have larger pilot opening in the center?

txnight

Adventurer
Great info. This spare came off a 2010 Chevy 3/4 ton so maybe it is a little different. It seemed to fit without issue when I test fit them. I will check it out soon, hopefully before I'm stranded in the woods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman