1988 Suburban "MOBY"

SlowJoe

not having much luck finding a hydroboost brake/clutch pedal set :(

I dont think you need to be looking for a hydroboost specific unit. I am not sure what exactly you are needing, but a standard pedal is easy enough to make
into a hydroboost pedal, if that is the concern.

FBJR

Adventurer
I was lucky enough to get a HB unit when I found a 3rd seat and other interior parts

Shouldn't be to bad separating the ECM stuff from lights and gauges.

superbuickguy

Explorer
not having much luck finding a hydroboost brake/clutch pedal set :(

car-part.com do a search for diesel or 454 powered truck with manual transmission. There is a bunch there - I know, I've been pondering doing a NV4500 swap into my 6.2 'burb.

and I need to be direct - whoever is telling you it's 'easy' to swap a hydraulic onto a linkage-style pedal is someone you should not listen to. I've done a bunch and they are anything but easy or quick to do. The hardest part is the ratio - manual linkage have a different ratio then the hydraulic... I'd have to measure but manual ratio is like 3:12 where the hydraulic is 2.5:12.... get it wrong and you'll either have too tough a pedal or not enough travel on the slave cylinder. For added fun, the ratio also depends on the cylinder diameters and the ratio of throwout.

If at all possible, use something stock or copy someone else's solution.

Last edited:

tgdoumit

Adventurer
Thanks everyone! Yup, I want to keep it as close to OEM as possible using parts that are meant to go together.

tgdoumit

Adventurer
think i may have found a pedal assembly out of a blazer near here... is that different than what would be on a 3/4 ton?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
The pedal asembly is slightly different for hydroboost set-ups as opposed to regular vacum boost master cylinders.:Wow1: A set-up off a gm 3500 series one ton will work.:)

tgdoumit

Adventurer
Thanks chilli. Having problems finding one around here. I'm gonna lookit a couple squares after work today.

FBJR

Adventurer
Unless the blazer was a diesel, Chilli is right. A diesel would be the best since even the gas 2500-3500 used vacuum.

tgdoumit

Adventurer
well i found a few late 80's squares today. none had a clutch/brake assembly but i found a suburban with a headliner that is in good shape in front but warped in the rear. i wonder if i can un warp it? also found a few semi decent bench seats too.
sadly no hydroboosts either that i thought would work.
one truck was a 2000 one ton that had one but i didn't think that would work. the neat thing about this truck was it had a 5 speed swapped into it. the brake pedals full width!
i have one more fella who says he has a pedal assembly like i want but it is somewhere near the great lakes, lol!

brbobcat

brbobcat
Hello,
I'm close to completing my 1991 Cummins Suburban. I'm working on wiring now. I'm curious what you did with the TBI harness? There's a ;to of extra wiring and a computer that I assume are not needed anymore. I'm considering removing each connector and wires one by one to the fuse panel until I'm left with only the necessities. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to do all that, only to find out the computer was still needed. I'm running a NV4500 and NP205 now.
Thank you

tgdoumit

Adventurer
I've been working on my wires in theory so far. By identifying everything coming out of the bulkhead connection. I think most of those wires will stay at that point. But, on the other end of the wires I plan to remove the tbi portion at the splices or sensors. The in dash wiring is going to get pruned too but I haven't researched that yet. The plan is to remove as much of the tbi stuff for later use in another project. I'm somewhat obsessive when it comes to wiring and I don't like anything extra.

FBJR

Adventurer
Hello,
I'm close to completing my 1991 Cummins Suburban. I'm working on wiring now. I'm curious what you did with the TBI harness? There's a ;to of extra wiring and a computer that I assume are not needed anymore. I'm considering removing each connector and wires one by one to the fuse panel until I'm left with only the necessities. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to do all that, only to find out the computer was still needed. I'm running a NV4500 and NP205 now.
Thank you

I would like some pics and info on this one too. I have about everything together for mine but using an auto.

brbobcat

brbobcat
I'm over 100k into mine so far. I'll send you some pics once I can get my pics transferred again. I welded a K5 Blazer rear on to put my Four Wheel Camper on it. Engine is at 500hp, all NOS 1-ton gear with a Gear Vendor. I'm wondering if a pre-'87 engine loom would connect up. They are plentiful and cheap and wouldn't have any of the extra EFI and computer bits. I have a '87 truck with a LT1. I'd like to go back to TBI on it, so keeping a intact harness would help. Otherwise, I guess I'll start pulling wire by wire to remove the TBI parts. I managed to fit two 25 gallon saddle tanks under it as well, one for waste motor oil or VGO.

FBJR

Adventurer
100k, wow. Hope you have lots of pictures! Maybe a Painless wiring kit? Just hook up what you want,,,,,

I have a 91 burb, 6bt/auto/205, 1 ton running gear with H1 tires/wheels. Also have a 87 Camino waiting for a 5.3 (all this is in hand)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12