1989 4Runner Expo Build

I just won part of my rear cabin heat and shower heat system. It's a Ninja-250 radiator, fan and temp sensor, all for $31 shipped. Now, to make it fit.

Okay, I just finished the two trays for the 10 gallon freshwater tanks. Now, I can disconnect two hoses, pull one pin,and the tank comes out. I thought cleaning them would be MUCH easier in the house.

The pics don't really show enough to post; maybe when the inner structure is painted. I'm getting really close to the "interior paint" step, and assembly can begin.:wings:

Roy

The winch-plate drops into the front bumper, and is secured by two hitch pins. This way, I don't need to store the winch inside the truck. It's made from 2x6 by 1/4" rectangle tube. Brackets are 3/8". Shackle mounts are 3/4" and go thru the entire bumper.

Last edited:
I decided to use a factory spare mount from a Jeep. One spare tire on the rear door, and one on the cab roof. I went with a door-mount spare, so the rear door can be opened from the inside. A bumper mounted spare would prevent this. Ignore all the burn/weld marks I used to mount temporarily until I found the right spot to drill and mount.

Last edited:
The interior panels are going in now. I decided to use fiberglass panel board because of its light weight and easy trimming. This is a shot looking back from the driver's door. The trim was not installed on the front because I'm still shopping for a side window for the third passenger seat in the back.

Here's a shot from the passenger door looking back. All interior panels will be painted medium-gray to match the front inter panels and uphostery.

Last edited:
Here's my rear heater setup. A front panel is not installed so you can see the setup. There is a fan and temp sensor mounted on the back,facing up. With the front panel installed, the hot air is forced thru the vent above the seat cushion.

Last edited:
I mounted the hi-lift to the exterior on the passenger side. The exterior shower box is shown below. Locking tabs for the jack are not welded on yet.

Looking left from the rear door. The sink will go in the corner below the secondary fuse box cover. The 12-volt fridge goes in the opening opposite the fuse panel. Microwave goes above the fridge. I have dropped the idea of a 110v fridge.

Last edited:
From rear door looking right. Both long doors on the side drop down with storage behind. The gray will be uphostered. This seating-for-two is for when the vehicle is NOT moving or for emergency passenger capacity if required.

Last edited:
From rear door with bed-center in "down" position. This design conserves valuable headroom. Unfortunately, I had to install three interiors before I was happy with the design. What works great on paper, worked terrible in the truck.

Last edited:
Bed-center in "up" position. Farthest end of bed surface is not shown. The front section of the bed is actually stored in the headliner when not in use.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78