1989 4Runner Expo Build

To keep this a budget build, I wouldn't buy the rust-repair panels to fix the rust around the wheelwells. So, I removed 3" along the entire wheel-opening, and welded a new edge to close the wheelhouse. I quick coat of filler, and I'm done. About $360 was saved.

Last edited:
Again, to stay low-budget, I added 2" angle to the rocker panels. I welded the angle directly to the rockers. The reinforced rocker-panels can easily support the truck weight if needed.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Rather Diesel said:
I decided to use a factory spare mount from a Jeep.
Getting lots of work done, looks good. Did you have to move the bolts on that spare tire mount or did they line up? The Jeeps are 5 lugs, 4WD Toyotas are 6 lugs. Just wondering.

DaveInDenver said:
Getting lots of work done, looks good. Did you have to move the bolts on that spare tire mount or did they line up? The Jeeps are 5 lugs, 4WD Toyotas are 6 lugs. Just wondering.

If you put one stud thru a wheel hole, the other two studs on the carrier fit perfectly inside the hub hole. I'll make a plate/lock to cover the studs and sandwich the rim to the carrier.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very cool.. I have thought long and hard about a rear swingout versus a single rear door. this is a problem a lot of the Rover guys have understandably because of the single rear door that can also be accessed from the inside. The idea I have is sort of a hybrid of some of the D90 type setups. the door keeps the rear door closed, and there is a pivoting/bushing isolated connector so the swingout opens when the rear door opens.. I'll see if I can dig up pics.. I was going to have some tabs in the actual rear bumper so the swingout locks into this for load carrying purposes when the swingout is closed. then the rear door opens it so it is always the rear door (aka one handle) that opens the rear swingout... I hope this all makes sense..

dieselcruiserhead said:
Very cool.. I have thought long and hard about a rear swingout versus a single rear door. this is a problem a lot of the Rover guys have understandably because of the single rear door that can also be accessed from the inside. The idea I have is sort of a hybrid of some of the D90 type setups. the door keeps the rear door closed, and there is a pivoting/bushing isolated connector so the swingout opens when the rear door opens.. I'll see if I can dig up pics.. I was going to have some tabs in the actual rear bumper so the swingout locks into this for load carrying purposes when the swingout is closed. then the rear door opens it so it is always the rear door (aka one handle) that opens the rear swingout... I hope this all makes sense..

I think I know exactly what you mean. I tried two versions of what you are describing, (like a compound hinge) but I couldn't come up with a design I was happy with. I have now reached the point that getting truck done in a timely manner supercedes cool ideas. It is a neat idea, by the way.

Roy

Sorry, I haven't touched the truck since I started my new job as a CNC-machinist. With the commute, I'm doing 60+ hours per week.

I have no idea how I'm gonna finish this project.

Roy

N8URE2

Adventurer
what you have so far looks great, stick with it if possible, I'm sure you will get it finished in time.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I agree.

I just found and read this thread. I'm so very impressed with your abilities to build/create and love that it will have diesel engine.

I hope you find time to finish it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78