1989 Toyota Pickup - Mild Build; New 22RE Engine

michel77

Adventurer
I am listing my extended cab ‘89 Toyota Pickup for sale. I have put a lot of work and effort into this rig the past year to get it mechanically sound and ready for overland camping and expedition type trips. Unfortunately (or fortunately, debatable depending on who you ask), my wife and dogs would also like to come along on these trips meaning we are ultimately better suited with something bigger for our purposes. We have already found our replacement vehicle and are not considering trades.

I bought this truck in 2015 and quickly found out it had been somewhat misrepresented in the sale. It supposedly had a newer engine installed, however it was suffering from oil consumption and blow-by. After repeatedly topping off the oil and trying a few different things to stem the oil consumption, I decided it was time to do this right and went for a complete rebuilt engine to be professionally installed and any other related items to be addressed at the same time.

To that end, the following work was done in the summer of 2016 at 214k on the odometer (to the tune of about $4k, see receipts screenshot):

Rebuilt 22RE – Block bored, new Topline pistons, rings, bearings, crank machined, block hot tanked, magnafluxed, deck resurfaced
New cylinder head – RV260 cam, new Aisin timing cover, Aisin oil pump, heavy duty timing chain kit with OEM Toyota tensioner, complete Ishno Stone gasket kit, new cylinder head bolts
New Aisin water pump
New Aisin clutch kit
New Fuel Filter
New PCV Valve
New Denso spark plugs
Machined flywheel
New NTC Thermostat
New radiator and heater hoses (radiator replaced in Fall of 2015)
Fuel injector service – sonic clean, replace baskets, screens, o-rings and seals
New air filter

Engine was run in with Joe Gibbs racing break-in oil for 150 miles. Valve adjustment was done at 2500 miles (last January) after rebuild by same shop (Disturbed Industries in Abbotsford, BC) and work is warranted for 3 years. I get about 18-20mpg these days with the rebuilt engine and running 31” tires.

This past January, I had the rear axle rebuilt due to play in the driveshaft. The following was replaced (see receipt in pictures):
Rear wheel cylinders
Rear axle bearings, seals and retainers
Gear oil replaced and system bled
Also at this time replaced electric engine cooling fan with stock fan and shroud for better cooling performance

Additional maintenance, modifications:
Front ARB bumper (new in past 3 months)
Front 185W LED lights with switch wired into cab (“zombie lights”) and relay wired with fuse under hood; these come with flood or spot covers so you can change the pattern
Yakima bars on brackets and wide body brackets on canopy
Rear of truck bed insulated with Dynamat for cold weather camping (actually works and makes a difference, also just a touch more comfortable than a steel bed)
Upgraded Sony head unit with USB and auxiliary inputs; upgraded speakers
Cat-delete; “open” exhaust with silencer; not too loud until you really step on it
SR5 dash upgrade
RAM mount on dash with RAM X-grip cradle
Reverse LED lights (mounted under bed on frame) with switch wired into cab and relay wired with fuse under hood; double as work/camp lights
Oil always changed at 3k or less; still have about 8 of the OEM larger capacity Toyota filters which are included
Almost new (<2k miles) GoodYear Duratrac Wrangler 31x10.5x15 tires w/ warranty from Elliott Tire&Service
No leaks whatsoever
Underside, frame coated at some point and in good shape with no rust
New tailgate struts
New taillight housings and lenses
Windows tinted
Compass rose decal on hood

Issues, To-Do list:
Suspension – nothing necessarily wrong with current setup and drives well/tracks straight at highway speeds but it can be a bit of a harsh ride; I think it’s some form of stock suspension still on the truck with the torsion bars cranked up for a 2” lift. This was my next step to get an ARB Old Man Emu kit installed (about $1500 parts/labor) to really smoothen the ride and provide more capacity for loaded trips
No rear bumper – wasn’t sure which direction to go on this yet so never got to it
Some rubbing on the front end at full steering articulation – probably due to bad camber from torsion bar adjustments; should be fixed with lift kit and alignment
Very slight weeping seal on power steering pump – not even leaking and haven’t had to top off the reservoir, it just shows a tiny bit of fluid around the seal so wanted to mention it
No A/C – compressor and piping removed so can no longer be reinstated
Oil pressure gauge on dash does not work – this is due to the dash upgrade as the SR5 uses a different gauge; I installed a new oil pressure sensor in the block and wired to a separate gauge under the stereo, works great
Reverse/back-up lights are out due to wiring missing from transmission sensor; I decided to wire in some LED’s for backing up which can be switched independently from cab and double as work/camp lights
Some scratches here and there from regular use and possible trails (I have never wheeled further than forest service roads etc. but previous owner might have); bigger dent under passenger side taillight as can be seen in pics, easy to remedy
Interior generally in good, clean shape – tear in driver seat side vinyl as pictured; small tear in headliner (appr. 2”); I have dogs and they ride shotgun so while I vacuum often, I’m sure there’s a few dog hairs here and there; a few pieces of the interior are grey (visors and door handles) to break up the monotonous brown

The current mileage sits at 218XXX miles and will go up slightly as it’s my daily driver. Despite the mentioned issues, this truck is solid and ready to go for many miles with the fresh engine and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere tomorrow. Feel free to call Ryan at Disturbed Industries if you want more info on the work done, he’s a solid guy and does great work.

I am asking $8,000 and am pretty firm on my price, but will consider offers within reason. I am on Orcas Island, WA state but travel to the mainland often and am happy to meet anywhere between Bellingham and Seattle.

Thanks for looking!

Walrus

Observer
Nice little truck. I just want to echo that Ryan at Disturbed industries does very good work. The best. If I were in the market, that fact alone would be a selling feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998

Members online