1989 VW Synchro Diesel Westy hardtop on eBay

Shocker

VanDOOM!
It is a cool rig, but I just don't get that kind of money for it. Lot's of other options for that or less.

speedtre

Explorer
It is a cool rig, but I just don't get that kind of money for it. Lot's of other options for that or less.

But that is why it's so expensive there are NO other options that match it's unique abilities for ANY amount of money if you live in the USA.

Factory built
SMALL footprint
relatively fuel efficient
4x4 with decent off-road capability
Fully-self contained without having to use a trailer
Sleeps 4 adults (yea, I know 2 adults and 2 kids fit better).
Park it anywhere (see # 1)
Drive it anywhere (again see #1)

I would never pay that kind of money for one, but I understand why they get what they get. If you have a lot of money and you
want ALL of the above it's really the only option in this country (it has TONS of competition in other parts of the world and it's price in those places is much more reasonable, check the price of a 25 yo one of these in Germany.)

Apparently there are quite a few people in the USA who have alot of money and want exactly what these have to offer, but I'm not one of them. :)

Keyne

Adventurer
But that is why it's so expensive there are NO other options that match it's unique abilities for ANY amount of money if you live in the USA.

Factory built
SMALL footprint
relatively fuel efficient
4x4 with decent off-road capability
Fully-self contained without having to use a trailer
Sleeps 4 adults (yea, I know 2 adults and 2 kids fit better).
Park it anywhere (see # 1)
Drive it anywhere (again see #1)

I would never pay that kind of money for one, but I understand why they get what they get. If you have a lot of money and you
want ALL of the above it's really the only option in this country (it has TONS of competition in other parts of the world and it's price in those places is much more reasonable, check the price of a 25 yo one of these in Germany.)

Apparently there are quite a few people in the USA who have alot of money and want exactly what these have to offer, but I'm not one of them. :)

However if you skip the "factory built" requirement there are a lot of options... Several that are a lot more capable off pavement. However similar to a Sprinter it would be great for touring in the US AND Europe. Also there is just "something" about the VW's that stir my soul. They seem like a blast and I love the interiors.

adam88

Explorer
However if you skip the "factory built" requirement there are a lot of options... Several that are a lot more capable off pavement. However similar to a Sprinter it would be great for touring in the US AND Europe. Also there is just "something" about the VW's that stir my soul. They seem like a blast and I love the interiors.

And I don't know much about these, but were they actually factory built, or were they just contracted out to a company who did it on behalf of VW? I know it's sort of the same thing, but not really..........

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
And I don't know much about these, but were they actually factory built, or were they just contracted out to a company who did it on behalf of VW? I know it's sort of the same thing, but not really..........

Sort of contracted out - but to westfalia and steyr-puch - both legendary companies and design / manufacturing leaders... Not similar to sports mobile etc here in the US...

Keyne

Adventurer
Sort of contracted out - but to westfalia and steyr-puch - both legendary companies and design / manufacturing leaders... Not similar to sports mobile etc here in the US...

They are a bit similar. I believe that Sportsmobile is an approved customizer for the Mercedes Sprinter.

speedtre

Explorer
However if you skip the "factory built" requirement there are a lot of options...

Really? Name me something fully self-contained, sleeps four adults, 4x4, with reasonable MPG (let's say 20+) AND has a footprint no more than 5-10% larger than the Westy's. I think it's the small footprint that is impossible to match as far as US vehicles go. I know in my family, my wife would not be comfortable driving even something as large as sportsmobile 4x4 but she would happily drive something Westy sized. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just can't think of anything that fits in this same category that you can actually purchase here in the states that isn't a one off creation of an enthusiast.

Like I said, I would not pay that, but I understand why some would....to each his own. :)

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
No abs, traction control, airbags, electric windows, emissions controls - I like it! :)

While the closest thing to a Vanagon syncro available will be / is the Sprinter 4x4 - but the inability to have it repaired locally and the requirement for ULSD fuel makes it not viable for more distant travels. Also no factory camper option - but lots of converters out there.

Another viable option is a Jeep JKU with the Ursa Minor poptop - actually about the same cost as this vanagon - $43K with the pop-top - and you can get a rubicon version even for that price... still doesn't have a kitchen - but if you went with non-rubicon model the extra cash would buy a full rear setup with drawers, fridge and stove.

speedtre

Explorer
No abs, traction control, airbags, electric windows, emissions controls - I like it! :)

Another viable option is a Jeep JKU with the Ursa Minor poptop - actually about the same cost as this vanagon - $43K with the pop-top - and you can get a rubicon version even for that price... still doesn't have a kitchen - but if you went with non-rubicon model the extra cash would buy a full rear setup with drawers, fridge and stove.

Yea, but where do you put the port-a-potty in the JKU...momma don't like goin outside at night to pee... ;-)

Shocker

VanDOOM!

I can see your point. I am just not sure how those unique abilities are worth that much. But it's cool. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle