1990 Cummins Build,, yep finally moving up!!

rikinwyoming

Observer
I started to build a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 gas, and though it was a good truck I relized it was not only too light duty to build into an expo rig, here's the build thread...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/72343-1996-Dodge-ram-build?highlight=

I also through research realized a few other things.... In my opinion....

A 1996 5.9 gas motor was not the way to go, poor mileage, not much torque, etc...

The half ton axles take alot to beef up for even moderately bigger tires, and though it's not difficult to swap heavier axles, the 1k price tag around these parts is a bit cost prohibitive, and I still have a gas motor...

The ext. cab suits my purposes, but a flatbed to start with gives me some more creative build options...

yes, these are my opinions, so I started looking for a trade.... and this is what I came up with...and this is a straight across trade (btw I had 4k total in my 96 ram) ..pics were taken when I looked at the truck last night, will post a few more pics tomorrow night after I pick it up and throw new tires on it!! hehehe

I got a 1990 Dodge Cummins Diesel, 727 auto, 245k, throwing on new 35 inch tires, fuel pin modified, 5 degree timing advance w/ 97 hx30 turbo non wastegate and 93 inter cooler. Flatbed, Selectro hubs, Air bagged rear leafs, and an infamous "deer killer" bumper which is built well and lend itself to modifications...

Here's the pics!

1990cummins3.jpg

1990cummins2.jpg

1990cummins-1.jpg

Very interested in hearing thoughts of the trades, possible mods, etc...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Did you make the trade? I wouldn't try to talk you out of it if you haven't yet. The 90 is UGLY, but the good kind of ugly. The kind you take pride in! Do your once over on it, fix the few things it might (will) need doing, and enjoy. 12 valve Cummins are my favorite engine. You will love it! I think the 90 should be the new state symbol for Wyoming. Maybe with the bronc rider in the background...

rikinwyoming

Observer
Am going to make the trade today when I get outta work at 2, keeping my 35's off my 96 dodge so we are going to get the tires swapped (since I took these pics he put his own 35's on but I like mine better and mine are practically new!) Ya I am getting it, only work that needs immeadiate attention is I have to get a floor pan for the drivers side, as it is rotted out on the sill... maybe some mods to the front bumper, Other then that she is pretty good...

Revco

Adventurer
Cool truck! Much better than a 1/2-ton anything. Look for the infamous cowl crack on the 1st gen Dodges. They like to crack under the A-Pillar at the cowl behind the front fender. They'll leak water into the floor pans and cause a headache-inducing metal on metal squeak. Dodge used to have a TSB and crappy "fix" for it, but it was just a formed panel that was glued in place, more lik a bandaid. If you're floors are rusted, I'd definetely pop the fenders off to take a peek at the cowl corners. Same goes for the roof...condensation builds up between the roof panels and tends to rot out the roof skin above the windshield, sometimes it rots out the lip under the windshield seal and leaks onto the floors.

The 2nd gen HX-35 turbo will be a great upgrade over the stock H1C, but be sure to install a pyrometer to watch the EGT's if you're using the 12cm2 turbine housing that comes with the HX-35. Keep your eyes peeled for a 14cm2 or 16cm2 housing and it will be more responsive than the H1C's 18 or 21cm2 housing, but won't heat up as quick as the 12cm2 housing.

The fuel pin upgrade is the best bang for the buck. Installing a DennyT, DDP, or Old Smokey Fuel Pin takes only a few minutes and will result in an instant 20-30hp at the rear wheels. (I've got the dyno results to prove it!)

Injectors for these early rotary pumped 12-Valves are pretty easy to find and relatively cheap. They'll make a big power increase, and are easy to install. I had Lucas POD's on my '92 and they really woke it up.

Keep us updated!

Here's my old '92 strapped to the dyno...
JermDyno92.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Happy to hear you are going to trade. The 90 will definitely give you more smiles per gallon;)

Rot Box

Explorer
With the 727 it likely has the 3.07 gear ratio on the axles. My brother had one with that package that he swapped a 4 speed auto into it. With the overdrive trans, 3.07's a free flowing intake/exhaust on a very stock 160hp 5.9 and a light foot he pulled some mpg that was nothing short of incredible.

You'll love the first gen. Give her a full tune up and enjoy :bike_rider:

rikinwyoming

Observer
Some new pics and info on what was done to my engine (mods), and my thoughts...

VE pump 1/8" (5 degrees) timing advance
Fuel pin turned to steepest grade
Smoke screw turned in
Fuel Screw two turns out from runaway
93 intercooler
97 hx30 non wategate turbo
New tranny filter and fluid
3.09 gearing
new lift pump and filter in april

put on 35 inch bfg at tires today on steel wheels...

Have to do an oil change tomorrow, no visible leaks, clanks that I have observed..
Looking under the frame where the flatbed is located, looks like it was a shortbed truck and the mounting of the flatbed was extended to compensate
Pretty clean overall for a wyoming work truck!

Thinking on perhaps cutting the flatbed back to the shortbed length, relocating the boxes forward, and starting to think on what to do as far as a shelter system for the back etc...

Here's more pics!!
1990ctd2.jpg

1990ctd.jpg

1990ctd4.jpg

1990ctd3.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice:Wow1:looking rig you have there Rikin. Glad to see you made the trade. I guess you thought the front bumper was a little too much? Just remember, some guys would rather sleep with their Cummins than with their wifes.... Cheers, Chilli.:)

rikinwyoming

Observer
Nice:Wow1:looking rig you have there Rikin. Glad to see you made the trade. I guess you thought the front bumper was a little too much? Just remember, some guys would rather sleep with their Cummins than with their wifes.... Cheers, Chilli.:)

Naw Chilli, the previous owner had removed it since the older pics I had of the truck... that bumper will prolly be back on this weekend!

BCHauler

Adventurer
Old iron is so much more interesting. Especially old Dodges.

Looks like you should pop next door to Nebraska and see pulltilbroke. He seems to be the 1st gen cummins parts and improvement wizard.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Old iron is so much more interesting. Especially old Dodges.

Looks like you should pop next door to Nebraska and see pulltilbroke. He seems to be the 1st gen cummins parts and improvement wizard.

X100. I would leave the stock bumper on and rework the other one first. It looks too bulky in the first pics. Some red paint would go a long way too. I would love to have that beast in my drive way! Nice score.

Wyo-M880

Horse Tradin' Fool
Well rick, glad my old truck has a good home, she treated me good, hope the same for you, as for that bumper made a world of difference with it off better mpg,handling and cooling..Good luck on your build!!:beer:

rikinwyoming

Observer
well the stock bumper is off, have to return that one to Chuck... so the monster is back on for now but it will be either reworked or I may start from scratch and make an aluminum one for weight savings... knocking out some odds and ends, new floorpan for the drivers side is on the way,, and some radical reworking of the flatbed is in the engineering stages as we speak!!

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Looks like a decent project. Just one thing i think that truck has been pieced together as in 90 you couldn't get an ext cab if you checked off the diesel option, I'm thinkin it may have been a std cab truck that had the bed removed and an ext cab installed. Whats the wheel base? Can you take a pic or 2 of the frame?

Like BC said I know my way around these old trucks pretty good so if you got any questions just ask.

Heres a pic of my old 90
90dodge029.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior