1990 FJ75 in Savannah, GA

Scootr

Attachments

• !BhfzG)gBmk~$(KGrHqIH-DIEsJUpiZGEBLJYVIilfQ~~_35.jpg
    !BhfzG)gBmk~$(KGrHqIH-DIEsJUpiZGEBLJYVIilfQ~~_35.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 166

DenCo40

Adventurer
I saw one just like that (only in not such good shape) on a truck with a bunch of other cars. I asked the driver where he was taking it and he said someplace in Idaho.
If I could buy it I definitely would-

Wander

Expedition Leader
Something doesn't add up...the guy says he's selling to get something to fit his family yet it has a dealer tag and is at a heavy construction equip site. I think that a truck like this can be bought for off highway use only-like costruction sites or by a const equip dealer- but wouldn't the 25 year rule come into play for on road use? I also saw the engine listed as gas but I would think that as a former military vehicle and it's use in the desert it would be diesel. Nice looking 75 though.

desmocruiser

Observer
If you were a dealer there wouldn't be many worries about the registration for your personal use just keep driving on dealer tags, you would just have to keep it another 5 years before you can sell it to an individual.

However, if you are not, I would want to see proof it has ever been and could be registered in the States.

No engine pics to actually determine if it is gas or diesel?

It is a very cool truck. How tough would it be to get parts?

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I saw that earlier today, and I'm stumped as to how that is here legally.

US shut down a big Japaneses air field. A lot of the equipment ended up at Warner Robbins in GA. There was a bunch of Toyota Dyna, mitsubish vans and other right hand drive vehicles that were showing up on GSA that technically had no business being here. I saw a some on trailers coming up through Atlanta Metro.

My understanding is the documentation was not of the type you could legally register these for US roads. I would worry that those 75's's have FJ40 junk yard vins they were registered under. Be careful!!!!!!

Last edited:

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
From what I have learnt from those who have imported these,is that they were part of a contribution to the 1st gulf war from Japan.

Most of them are desert biege and most seem to have no heating or aircon
The number of 200 75 series seems to ring a bell and some were troopys.

The ex military FJ75 is legal to import because it came from an overseas US military base.

It has the vin of FJ75-0091987,so it obviously petrol.

Judging by the rubber mounts,oversize bumper and the fact that it is most likely petrol engined,I would say they are ME spec.EDIT it also has the Body tag written in Arabic

It has the updated plastic grill from the second generation of 7* series,the earlier model from 84-89 had the metal mesh grill

Last edited:

Wander

Expedition Leader
That would jive with what the seller mentioned. I wonder what was wrong with the bed and doors that they had to be restored? I'm guessing some sort of damage as it was in the desert so rust wouldn't be an issue.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
That would jive with what the seller mentioned. I wonder what was wrong with the bed and doors that they had to be restored? I'm guessing some sort of damage as it was in the desert so rust wouldn't be an issue.

They were only in the ME for a little while and then most of them were shipped back to Okinawa and possibly Guam
The doors will rust out if the drain holes are not unblocked regularly.
The doors also get cracks where the window frame joins the lower door
The rear beds are not that good,most of them rust away before the rest of the body,especially if they have done real work.
They dropped the factory bed as an option in Australia from 2007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998