1990 Ford E-250 Quigley

jronwood

Adventurer
IMG_20190107_102339954.jpg
IMG_20190107_102357706.jpg
So, I have recently picked up this girl. It has a 460 which will "go away". Dana 44 coil front axle, 3.54 gears. I am contemplating one of a couple of repowering options. I LOVE 300/six engines...I have two trucks here with them (1980 F250 and a 1986 F150) I will be putting one in a 1984 Florida Bronco as well. I am TIRED of the computer, check engine light, garbage. I perfer carbureted. My F250 has a new Oppenheimer intake and Edlebrock four barrel . I don't need to go fast.....I just like to GO. I know my mileage will not be stellar and power at highway speed limited...but honestly looking for anyone who has ever driven one of these "wind socks" in an E250/350 configuration on the highway with a 300/six. Old timers tell me of panel vans running around back "in the day".

The other repower option is a 7.3 IDI I have a one owner 150k 1993 IDI out of an extended cab, or one out of a donor van I am aquiring, same year, same interior, better body (may swap bodies).

With the cost of gas being substantially less and availability better. Additionally, if I ever had an issue on the road with 300 six, I could darn near take the dog box out and climb in to do the work. The quiet sound of that ole six would make me smile. The diesel noise could potentially get old. I do own a 2002 7.3 diesel four door, 4x4 chassis cab, so I know the noise well. To be sitting right beside that diesel for hours/days worries me. Also, cold starts I'm remote areas. Yeah, yeah, I know keep injectors new and glow plugs fresh....but still...I have slept at -22 air temp before.

Trans options are E4OD, and ZF5. I have the cast old four speeds laying around...too low gearing. I also have a 1997 f350 PSD 7.3 (zf5 donor) .....that running gear may end up on another build.

Input welcome.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...I LOVE 300/six engines...I have two trucks here with them (1980 F250...My F250 has a new Oppenheimer intake and Edlebrock four barrel...

I love my quiet, efficient 300 torque maker too. That intake probably says Offenhauser btw. I've helped swap those and Clifford intakes in. A buddy has an 84 F150 4x4 with the 300, Offy intake, Holley vacuum secondary 390(?) cfm and a 4 speed, 3.55 axles, 32" mud tires, big winch bumper up front, heavy toolbox in the bed...20 freaking mpg. I really couldn't believe it. I've known the truck several years now and been on a few trips in it. 20 mpg without OD and all that weight, rolling resistance, wind resistance...impressive. His only trick is keeping it 60 mph or below. We tuned the hell out of that carb,squirters, cams, springs, jets and it payed off. A wideband O2 sensor is a godsend.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I had several early to mid 80's Pathfinder 4WD vans with the 300 6 cylinder engine. Quiet and SLOW! All were automatics.

IF "I" were going to re-power anything with the 300 6 cylinder you can bet your bottom dollar it would be a later FI 300 6 engine.

eblau

Adventurer
We have a 67 truck with a 240 and sometimes I catch myself pausing to make sure it is still running because it is so smooth! Our IDI on the other hand .... well....

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’d go 7.3 psd... :D at 85 mph my economy dropped to 16 mpg, but at 60 mph it’d use much less. Much of the time I was running WOT or close to it and still got 16 mpg in a 9500 lb brick.

I’ve recently changed the oil in the HPOP Reservoir and it feels much more peppy.

Given it’ll start below freezing with no glow plugs, I’m not worried about cold starts now that I have working glow plugs and 4 starting batteries. The ambulance package allows for self jumping in case the two starting batteries won’t spin it fast enough... almost 3600 CCA at the push of a button. If they cannot start it, a 300 l6 likely won’t go either.

jronwood

Adventurer
I do have a complete (rotted cab and frame) running gear and everything else...1997 PSD F350 4x4 Dana 60 ....but I WAS going to save all that for an OBS super duty straight frame ambo combination. I have the LifeStat aluminum body already here as well....I just know eventually i want a van cutaway or an extended cab truck body (next project) .....I have those donors here as well. I thought we'd keep this Quigley smaller, lighter and a first "blush" into playing with this stuff. ......I DO love the idea of a 300 six. And the small Quigley is fine ....Iam not a serious off roader, just want to feel confident on snowy, gravel back roads....etc.. so the Quigley Dana 44 suits me fine. I think I have an axle here out of a '77 highboy f250 Dana 44 here that damn near matches the Quigley one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78