1990 Montero LWB A/T Radiator

JAVYPRO

Observer
Hello guys,
Well, about time, after 33 years the radiator decided to say "NO MORE". Took it to the radiator shop and the core is shut and the tanks have expanded so it is pretty much junk.
I have been online and the first piece from Rockauto, now plastic and Aluminum, was off by 1/2". I returned it and on the second piece I got, the mounting holes align on just the top on the driver side. I will have to modify and drill some of the other 3 holes making sure that the shroud stays true to the cooling fan.
Have you guys use any aluminum radiators and from whom did you get it?

Thanks,
Javy

JAVYPRO

Observer
UPDATE:
Well, I got a radiator from Rockauto.com and it was to big (top to Bottom) by about 1/2". I returned it, wasting $16 in the process, got a second one also from Rockauto.com, size was fine but it still needed to have the mounting holes modified plus the fad shroud mounting holes were so far off that I went to the radiator shop that attempted to fix the original and got my old radiator back from their recycle bin so I can remove the mounting sides and bolt them to the new plastic radiator. I had second thoughts because if when removing or mounting one of the bolts the plastic cracks i will be in the hole with a non-working/ non-returnable piece.

It happens that the shop had a 1990 SWB in the shop for the same reason and they had sourced a radiator, plastic and aluminum, that drops right in. They got it from a source in WA state. Long and behold I am returning the Rockauto.com POC and loosing another $16 but to hell with it, I will have a radiator that actually fits as they should.

Disapointing from Rockauto.com as parts appear to be sourced from "El Cheapo/ good luck if it fits/ I am making money out of you returning the part and screw you."

Is a car guy online parts store but if I cannot find it in Amazon, Rockauto.com will be my very, VERY last option from now on. I mean I have bought so many parts that I lost count of the car themed magnets that I have. The first problem were rear brake cylinders for the Gen I LWB, then valve cover gaskets for my Gen III that made it leaked like a Land Rover (sorry Rover guys), then the head gaskets for the same engine that were faulty and now the radiator that will not remotely fit.

Ok, I feel better after venting.

Thanks,
Javy

CharlieNorth

Yes I have run generic circle track radiators with separate trans coolers ever since I did the first turbo swap back in '88. I have done this on four Monti/Raiders now. Both auto and manual.
Generally there is some level of mods generally with aluminum welding required.
Every radiator I have swapped is still in service.
Currently the radiator for my 3.8 RHD Pajero
These images show what was done to make clearance for the steering box. not needed in LHD. There is a thimble for a mounting stud, temp sensor and fan switch.
The radiator core fills the opening.
I am running a single 18" fan.

Attachments

• IMG_7504.JPG
    IMG_7504.JPG
    800.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7505.JPG
    IMG_7505.JPG
    874.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7496.JPG
    IMG_7496.JPG
    875.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7528.JPG
    IMG_7528.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7532.JPG
    IMG_7532.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8

CharlieNorth

This now has the AC condenser, engine oil cooler and and transmission cooler that is underneath snugged in behind a Ramsey 8000 winch.

Attachments

• IMG_9151.JPG
    IMG_9151.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12