1991 Delica “Star Wagon" $9k Japanese Classics

TheSweatyButcher

Adventurer
https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1991-delica-star-wagon/

Available for: $8,995

Contact Us
This Mitsubishi Delica “Star Wagon” has a very unique appearance and is ready for its next adventure. The exterior features a front brush guard and factory optional items such as fog lights and side steps. It also has a functioning sunroof for middle row passengers. That paint is by no means perfect and has some blemishes – but appearance wise it looks pretty good and shines nicely. The body is in pretty good shape but does have some dents in the roof and wear along the trim pieces.

Inside the Delica seats up to seven and has plenty of cargo space. The interior is in good condition and features mid-row swiveling “Captain’s Chairs” and sunroof. The seats show minimal wear and have no major rips or tears. The panels are in similar shape and the dash is free of cracks. The carpet in the passenger area has some staining but the front area is in good condition. Other features include passenger curtains and an aftermarket wood grain steering wheel.

The 2.4L 4G64 engine starts right away and idles smoothly. Shifts through the 5 speed manual transmission are smooth and the 4X4 system is functioning correctly. The A/C is also in working order and blows cold. No modifications have been made to the mechanicals, but it’s still plenty capable for whatever off-road challenges it might face. Currently this vehicle has 67k original miles.
0-2-10.jpg

ABC

Adventurer
Can you publicly post the VIN so that people can check the age before buying using mitsubishi.epc-data.com or auc.ts-export.com/month? The US market has become saturated with JDM imports that are not actually 25 years old due to one of the largest importers (Silk Road Autos). Some dealers put the VIN in their listing and this is a big help. Thanks!

ABC

Adventurer
I just noticed one thing this van has in common with my illegally imported Delica... NO ALTIMETER! The altimeter is the easiest way to tell the true age on the Delica, as vans built before August 1991 should not have a temperature gauge (however, models below the Exceed trim level never got this feature). This van could be over 25, but I just wish I knew everything I know now when I purchased mine. Delicas frequently fall victim to odometer rollback, VIN swapping, and age falsification. Make sure to physically check the VIN, ODO, and Japanese records on a van like this (I just checked the dealer website and could not find a VIN for this van). Some websites like Bring A Trailer make users post a VIN for imports. If you go to bringatrailer.com/search/?st=&s=delica, you can see that every user submitted VIN matches the ad details.
delica altimeter 2.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Like ABC says, the USA Customs folks check the month and year of a vehicle's manufacture to determine if it meets the 25 year rule. Unscrupulous dealers are misrepresenting vehicles as made in early 1991 to sell vehicles that don't qualify. Caveat emptor.

I have to say this is an uber-cool example of the Delica. I hope this vehicle was manufactured before August 1991, and qualifies for importation to USA.

ABC

Adventurer
Like ABC says, the USA Customs folks check the month and year of a vehicle's manufacture to determine if it meets the 25 year rule. Unscrupulous dealers are misrepresenting vehicles as made in early 1991 to sell vehicles that don't qualify. Caveat emptor.

I have to say this is an uber-cool example of the Delica. I hope this vehicle was manufactured before August 1991, and qualifies for importation to USA.
While all Delicas are cool, this one needs to be a diesel to be uber-cool! :)
"2.4L 4G64"
The 'G' in 4G64 stands for gas. I think everyone on ExPo would dislike trying to find parts or fuel for this van on a trip outside of the US! Even though the listing states the engine, I now know that good dealers write "gas" or "diesel" in plain English (and include the VIN). I have heard about people thinking they were importing a diesel, and ending up with one of these cheap gas ones! (Something else I have learned: You can also tell which engine a Delica has just by looking at the pictures. All diesel Delicas have the front license plate holder offset to the right to allow increased airflow to the engine. The holder on this van is in the middle of the air intake.)

zimm

Expedition Leader
on one hand, they look cool, on the other, can one really do anything in this they cant with a subaru? the tires look like 29's, and there doesnt appear to room for a lift or more tires. its just a dirt roader, so whats the point of dealing with it?

it aint no pinz or c303.

ABC

Adventurer
on one hand, they look cool, on the other, can one really do anything in this they cant with a subaru? the tires look like 29's, and there doesnt appear to room for a lift or more tires. its just a dirt roader, so whats the point of dealing with it?

it aint no pinz or c303.
I now agree with you 100%! The Delica is so poorly engineered, you should take a look underneath. The path the exhaust takes is crazy... it changes direction at least 7 times! It also would be so much better if it was body on frame. Plus, no US Spec Subaru has ever been crushed by customs (that I'm aware of)! The only thing Delicas really have going for them is that they are still rare in the US, and definitely turn heads.
P35W-0100508
I tried the VIN to this one with the P35W high top code and it gave a 1990 build date. I think that the last numbers were lifted from a different van to make this one look like it was in the range of US legal VIN numbers.

ABC

Adventurer
IMPORTANT!
Manufacture date
P24W-0100508
I contacted the guy in the auto industry who discovered my problem and he said the VIN database was not working. He also informed me that P24W is the VIN code for gas low roof. JDM is way too complex, and this is why I am avoiding it going forward.

molenz

it aint no pinz or c303.

Yep 29's are standard, 31's fit without too much trouble.

20160221_120732.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle