1991 Dodge W250 Overland Tourer Build and Adventures

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
Been slowly working away on this truck for the last two years, and, I thought I should start Sharing what I've been up to on Expedition Portal. I've been on here for a number of years, but mostly floating, with the odd post.

Anyway! Lets begin.IMG_3062.jpg

So, Its a 1991.5 (That's for the cummins nerds) Dodge w250, With the ever reliable 12 valve cummins and the Horrifically built Getrag 5 speed...Though I'm going to say that mine is blessed. I can't quite say exactly what its history is, but pieced together, It was originally bought as a cab chassis, for a logging company, and they painted it all these colours, and installed the loggers box on the back, and released it to the bush. It lived its first few years being abused by a logger, pounding down logging roads, backroads and tracks in the bush. When that Logging company sold out and left town, the truck went up for auction, and an older gentleman, from a small, on the coast of British Columbia, purchased it. He probably drove pretty nicely, but small island life lends to some dodgy repairs, lack of maintenance, and more rough roads. I saw the truck driving around from time to time, and always admired the fact that it was still together. A friend of mine told me that he was pretty sure that a rather large excavator bucket road around in the back of it at times, and my suspicion is that it was dropped in there at some point, because the back corner of the frame was bent down and possibly in the middle behind the cab. Hard to tell. But as it goes, it wound up under an old cedar tree, the Old guy passed away, and his son, who, at the time of me coming across the truck, was in his 60', had the truck. He wasn't doing much with it.

I happened to move to this little island a few years ago. I needed a break from town life, and my dad had retired over there, which gave me a place to land. The island was ripe with opportunity for a mechanic, because they didn't have a certified one over there. A new friend with a fabrication shop was looking for someone to work for him, and with my small amount of Fabrications skills, it made sense to work for him, and then do mechanical work to fill in the gaps. It was a pretty good deal for me, and it provided me with some shop space. It took a few short months, and I realized I was going to need a truck, but not wanting to push my finances, I figured one would turn up eventually.

John phoned me, and said he had this old truck in his yard that wouldn't start, and that he'd like to get it going. It had been awhile since it had been ran, so, I went over with a battery and had a crack at it. The starter was the issue, so I removed it, took it up to the shop and rebuilt it on the workbench.

IMG_6161.jpeg

After Rebuilding the starter, I returned to the truck, I installed it, and the truck, like every old cummins, hardly turned over, and it roared to life. We of course checked a few vitals and I drove it around the yard a bit before I asked "What are you doing with this truck?' He didn't really know what he wanted to do with it, and I offered to buy it. To him that seemed like a good idea, and we agreed on a price. His main thing was that he didn't want the truck to go to someone who was just going to drive it further into the ground. He knew me though, through my Dad, and had seen a few wrecks that my dad and I had bought over the years and rebuilt. It was the right fit, and I promised to make the truck right. That first drive home really showed me how rough the truck actually was. I'm not sure many people have experienced death wobble, but it's pretty unreal and really shakes the hell right out of you. It happened on my approach to a tight corner, I hit the brakes, and the rears locked up. That made the back of the truck drift out, while the front was shaking, and I was heading straight for a pond which was at the bottom of a steep embankment. A full on "Jesus take the wheel" moment. I avoided that catastrophe and headed home. The truck was parked up, and I began ordering parts.

IMG_3064.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6161.jpeg
    IMG_6161.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
The Truck came with another Problem....

No power. Not 12 Valve cummins, 160 hp, lack of power, but, something is wrong, lack of power. Turns out the intercooler was full of pin holes and all the boost was leaking out. A good friend had a power stroke intercooler and offered it up to me very generously. To install it though, I had to make a few parts. The factory intercooler pipe is quite small, and the power stroke intercooler was 3" flanges. I bought the pieces and made an intake elbow to match it up to the grid heater.

IMG_3066.jpg

It's quite amazing how much of a difference it made to the power of the truck. Better airflow is better power and an increase in pipe diameter, in this case is an improvement over stock. I marked out on the original intake elbow, how much bigger the new pipes were.

IMG_3067.jpg
IMG_0237.jpeg

Heres another picture of the truck as I bought it.

IMG_3063.jpg

Last edited:

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
I started to realize, after a short while, this truck had a lot of life left in it. It really just needed to dry out, get some love and some maintenance. The idea of building it just for work, quickly left me as I realized this truck had some significant advantages to being an overland vehicle. It has incredible fuel mileage for the power it has, good weight carrying capacity, and is fixable, just normal parts on it, nothing fancy. I decided to remove the old loggers box and build an aluminum flat deck for it first.

68575748994__51770FF2-8F29-4739-8F10-ADBE0835A49E.jpeg

68575775041__3BE17F11-5782-400B-978A-91281D4D9D83.jpeg

68608582864__244F8C3E-8CEE-4D45-8F58-4A97FCD2374E.jpeg

0E6DD0D0-CE78-4812-ABC1-86C809C0C451.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
So, while I was working on the truck, I still had a 2019 Ford Transit van. I had built that short wheel base, medium roof height van to live in, and did so for almost 4 years. I'm such an outside person, I don't really need much more than a place to sleep and rest. life is simple. work, walk the dog, eat, sleep, adventure, repeat. But with the truck on the road, safe to operate and enjoyable to drive, I was beginning to see that my time in the van was coming to an end. I put it up for sale, and resolved to buy a camper, to go on the truck, to replace the van as my home on wheels. I searched for months and months and finally purchased a 9.0 Northernlite Camper, Made in 1989. In fact, it was the second camper built that year. Designed for a long box Dodge Dakota, Its narrower then a full size truck camper, and doesn't have all the same amenities. This means it also lacks the weight of them all. A simple unit is more up my alley anyways.

IMG_0917.jpeg

Leading up to Christmas, I decided I should probably go on a road trip, so I packed up and headed out December 20th. I planned to head south to Ladysmith to have so fresh leaf springs fitted, and the farther south to Victoria, to spend Christmas with my mom. Afterwards I would head to Kelowna for New years with friends, Then do the grand tour, through the winter roads of the Kootney Lake region. It snowed a lot the evening before, and when I woke up in the morning to leave, There was 18" of snow on the road. Also, the highway was generally unplowed as we live in an area that doesn't get a lot of snow. It often comes at a surprise to the road maintenance contractors. The start of my trip was more like an expedition but, I'm unphased by weather, generally, I just deal with it as I go. If you try and plan all your trips around good weather, you'll hardly go on any good trips. It was an absolutely stunning trip, and the truck averaged about 20MPG which I think is just phenomenal. It also showed me a few areas I need to work on with the camper.

IMG_1083.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

Next Post will be about finishing the Bar work and slapping a little paint on

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
So, I didn't want to just leave the flat deck with out putting some bar on the sides of it, to match the apron on the back. I drew this up by editing a picture I took of the truck on my phone, and to me, it seemed like it would look pretty good doing it this way. Eventually the front bars will be made into a cabinet, but I sure like having the rear bar on there empty. It's a good place to put your feet for a step up onto the deck.

0AB6FDBB-D0D7-40A5-8BB5-AF90ED8C716E.jpeg

Here it is all finished. It turned out really good and I was decently proud of it. I had a good look over the internet, at various other flat deck builds. Generally I don't like them because they get pretty full of angles really quickly and don't look well balanced to the truck. I think I hit a sweet spot here, tell me what you think.

IMG_1317.jpeg

I had been driving around for months and months with a black fender, waiting for the weather to dry out well enough for a quick spray bomb job. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Krylon's, "Old industrial Yellow" was a perfect match to the paint already on the truck.

IMG_1982.jpeg

Here's the truck all complete, New tires, (Cooper ST MAXX, 255/85R16) and a new set of rims. My friend Eli welded up that extra rack for me, while I fixed his truck. Good work trade in my opinion, and his welds are better than mine.

IMG_1988.jpeg

Next post will be about the go fast parts.

So, while I was working on the truck, I still had a 2019 Ford Transit van. I had built that short wheel base, medium roof height van to live in, and did so for almost 4 years. I'm such an outside person, I don't really need much more than a place to sleep and rest. life is simple. work, walk the dog, eat, sleep, adventure, repeat. But with the truck on the road, safe to operate and enjoyable to drive, I was beginning to see that my time in the van was coming to an end. I put it up for sale, and resolved to buy a camper, to go on the truck, to replace the van as my home on wheels. I searched for months and months and finally purchased a 9.0 Northernlite Camper, Made in 1989. In fact, it was the second camper built that year. Designed for a long box Dodge Dakota, Its narrower then a full size truck camper, and doesn't have all the same amenities. This means it also lacks the weight of them all. A simple unit is more up my alley anyways.

View attachment 823926

Leading up to Christmas, I decided I should probably go on a road trip, so I packed up and headed out December 20th. I planned to head south to Ladysmith to have so fresh leaf springs fitted, and the farther south to Victoria, to spend Christmas with my mom. Afterwards I would head to Kelowna for New years with friends, Then do the grand tour, through the winter roads of the Kootney Lake region. It snowed a lot the evening before, and when I woke up in the morning to leave, There was 18" of snow on the road. Also, the highway was generally unplowed as we live in an area that doesn't get a lot of snow. It often comes at a surprise to the road maintenance contractors. The start of my trip was more like an expedition but, I'm unphased by weather, generally, I just deal with it as I go. If you try and plan all your trips around good weather, you'll hardly go on any good trips. It was an absolutely stunning trip, and the truck averaged about 20MPG which I think is just phenomenal. It also showed me a few areas I need to work on with the camper.

View attachment 823927

View attachment 823928

View attachment 823929

View attachment 823926

View attachment 823927

View attachment 823928

View attachment 823929

Vanis,

Looks great, the w250 Cummings is a great platform. I put a Sunrader F.G. body on my 93 and a Northern Lite 6.10 on my F-150 that I am using now. Keep up the good work...

frojoe

Adventurer
You had me at 1st gen with a logger box, and then I noticed you're local-ish! You said "headed south towards Ladysmith"..are you Nanaimo area, or further up island? Can't wait to see more updates or even just info on how this thing evolves!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior