1991 Range Rover turbo diesel swap

REDROVER

Explorer
When I bought my current rover I promised myself I would not make changes and keep it stock, you know how it goes when Rover has 235.000 miles, it’s starts to crumble up and down and sideways,

Heater core blew on me on the road.
a week later water pump started to leak.
another week power steering pump went down.
Check engine light right after that.
Engine started to cut off and 70 mph.

I didn’t give the rover a chance to drop the transmission on me.
I had enough.

It’s time for a new drive train,
I found a brand new rebuild 6.2 seating at someone’s garage That will have side mount turbo 7 psi.
Transmission will be NV4500 manual.
Tcase LT230.

I have the front springs replaced with old man emu extra heavy duty springs, back ones are heavy duty,
6.2 oil pan needs to be replaced with truck oil pan, Humvee pan can’t be used it will hit the front differential.
Flex plate has to changed to flywheel, clutch pedal needs to be added.
I am hoping to finish by next month.

REDROVER

Explorer
It’s kinda a the same but not exactly,
This time I am doing turbo diesel, with nv4500 transmission,
I regret selling my red Range Rover,

rrclassicbt550

Farmer Jon
Howdy Sir!

Glad to see you back and building another one. I will definitely be watching and checking in on this one. I am going to try N/A, but if down the road later I feel it needs more, the side mount setup you are doing is what I was thinking of.
I do hope to see you iron the kinks out of this one, it would be sad to see you sell another one after putting in so much work.

REDROVER

Explorer
Hello
I’ll definitely be keeping this Rover,
I learned a lot from my previous rover diesel conversion, I’ll be implementing that to this vehicle.

REDROVER

Explorer
Rovers engine/ trans is out, 6.2 is getting dressed, this engine is basically brand new, top to bottom.
I took off the humvee oil pan to install truck oil pan, and look inside the engine, even crankshaft is brand new.
Government spent my money to rebuild this engine, it’s nice to see my taxes comeback in a form of new rebuild engine.3F8501F6-C902-4ADC-96A5-E8DC5BF07C1D.jpeg

@REDROVER Looking forward to watching this build! Just out of curiousity, why the 6.2; is it because of the availability or because its the ease of install? Is there a huge weight difference between factory and 6.2 when its all said and done? Obviously the 6.2 is probably bulletproof and aftermarket is easy!

I think this is the second 6.2 build I've seen so curious for future projects if I'm ever so lucky to land an old school with a diesel conversion option in the future.

Thanks

REDROVER

Explorer
I have done extensive thinking with diesel options and here is why I did 6.2 again,

Original rover diesel is great but, parts would be hard to find, rebuilt engine is 6000 or more in USA , and it would never make the same torque as the larger diesel,

Cummins motor is great but even heavier than 6.2 and longer.

Small Isuzu diesel would be nice but I will have to deal with the same problem as the rover diesel.

In USA we don’t have small diesel options (yet)

That brings me back to 6.2 again,
6.2 engine is only one inch longer than 3.9 rover engine,
I can get 440 lb torque with 8 psi boost,
Brand new rebuild engine is under $1600,
parts are in every auto-zone,
It’s mechanical diesel injection,
It’s waterproof
It’s fairly solid platform ( about 300k mile motor)
It gives me option to direct bolt on NV4500 or 4L80E and adapter is available to bolt LT230 behind those.

The down side is with any diesel, this is 350 lb heavier than gasoline motor.

Also later on I’ll have options to change the engine to optimizer 6.5 or even P400 AM General 6.5 ( P400 was made by Am general and international harvester joint venture for extended capacity Humvee 16.000 lb it’s basically bulletproof version of the 6.5 diesel)

To give an idea what’s goin on with those 6.2 and 6.5 Diesel engines ( except P400)

Those motors are considered as hybrid diesel, they use a lot of heavy duty gasoline engine design for diesel use,
For example Cummins or the p400 6.5 is true diesel technology.
This is why the 6.2 or early 6.5 are good for about 300 to max 350.000 miles.
But considering the availability of those motors, it’s definitely a candidate.

@REDROVER makes sense to me! Thanks for the response!

Do you know the comparison in weight difference between the 6.2 and Rover Diesel? Sure gas is different by 350lbs, but is this considerable between Rover diesel options as well?

REDROVER

Explorer
Here a picture of p400 I was taking about, if it doesn’t say P400 on the block, It’s not a true diesel technology 6.5.
They stopped selling those motors to public last year, there are still some around with hummer parts suppliers, but they want $12.000 for the engine.

3F8E9F22-CCBB-40E6-B74E-34CAB63C54B3.jpeg

REDROVER

Explorer
More parts arrived ;)
GM7 turbo
Flowmaster down pipe and crossover
New glow plugs
Motor mounts shut off solenoid
Oil pan gasket 8B135BE7-58B6-4157-ACEC-33D437BA1A0F.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members