1991 Suburban 2500

justcuz

Explorer
Let us know how you like it when you receive it. Seems like there are some sub par quality products out there.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
i was looking at either LMC or classicparts for weather stripping for mine, neither have a "kit" but I think it was only like $100 shipped for all doors

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
and as far as the steering box brace, there is a weld on and a bolt on, some people even run both. ORD, DIY4X, and ruffstuff are the 3 main places I buy "build parts" from.

justcuz

Explorer
I have seen the weld in frame repair piece, behind the box on the frame rail. All the braces I have seen bolt in. The braces spread the load across the front crossmember. I'll have to check them out.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I ordered weather stripping and window seals today from A1Auto. I am doing the barn doors and the front doors first. When funds allow I will hit the rear entry doors. I will report on quality, fit etc...
I had some light left today and accomplished 2 things... 1 - confirmed that the burb will in fact fit in the barn :smiley_drive:
Tight fit.jpg
Then Joe and I removed the stock bumper. He is at a great age where he wants to help and has fun goofing off at the same time.
Joe helping.jpgBumper on.jpgIMG_6193.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I wish WARN still made those bumpers

It is nice, although I wonder about it only having 4 mounting bolts through the frame... I have an old Warn HS 9500 in need of some refurbishment. I think I will rebuild it and that will be on here until I can swing a bigger winch.

Hoping over the next couple days to continue replacing basics and to dig further into the radio issue. I replaced antenna today... really no change. I am going to take the head unit out and make sure it is all hooked up properly. Good news is that I put a CD in and the sound is plenty good enough for me, so it is just a matter of getting the existing stereo or a new one to get good radio reception and I will call it good.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Is there any bolt in solution for raising the seat height of this vehicle? I am 5'6" and even in my jeep I raised the seats 1.5". Cannot seem to find a similarly off the shelf version for the burb...

boll_rig

Adventurer
Man I am envious of your new project! Loving this 91 already and agree with borison on the wheels. Very nice looking burban, I especially like the color. Will be great to see where you go with it.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Your reasons for getting the Burb are exactly why I picked up the Montero and have the Jeep for sale, family adventures in the mtns while riding in comfort are much nicer, and the crawling gets boring after awhile. The Montero will go 95% of the places the Jeep did but be 110% better during the ride to the trails and back. I can see you taking the Burb on a lot of the same trails you did with your Jeep except for the tighter spots that the Jeep could squeeze through. Great thing about the Burb is a ton of space, so much potential for sleeping setups and gear storage, I think you will be happy you made the switch.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Your reasons for getting the Burb are exactly why I picked up the Montero and have the Jeep for sale, family adventures in the mtns while riding in comfort are much nicer, and the crawling gets boring after awhile. The Montero will go 95% of the places the Jeep did but be 110% better during the ride to the trails and back. I can see you taking the Burb on a lot of the same trails you did with your Jeep except for the tighter spots that the Jeep could squeeze through. Great thing about the Burb is a ton of space, so much potential for sleeping setups and gear storage, I think you will be happy you made the switch.

I appreciate you writing this. In fact I just read it to my wife. Helps to see others making the same move and helps her to see that although I might be crazy there are others out there :).

Thanks to all for the comments on the wheels. They came with the truck. I cannot see a time I would change them out, since even if I lift and go up in tire size, it will be to 255's, so they should fit these rims fine.

I am a total newb to Chevy's and am just learning about what I have here. For example, today I figured out, I think that my rear axle is the upgraded GM 14 full floater. My evidence of this is the 8 lug wheel pattern. Am I correct?

The weekend holds a tune up and oil change... among some Santa time with the young'n and some range time with a fellow USMC buddy. With our new acreage we can set up out to about 450 yards... can't wait for that.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998