1992 E350 7.3 glow plug harness help

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I decided to get started on my Hypermax turbo install today and naturally the first thing I try to do turns into crap. The glow plug harness needs to be removed and then reconfigured for the install. The main plug that connects the harness to the vans main wire bundle was locked up tight without much interest in coming apart. After some persuasion I got it separated but it's crumbling, which after 24 yrs of hot/cold cycles is not surprising, but it does leave me up feces creek without the necessary paddle.

Does anyone know where I can source either a compatible harness whose cost won't make me blow chunks, or a factory style pin compatible plug? Even some sort of aftermarket plug like weather pak as long as it would accept the pins already installed. I REALLY don't want to have to repin both sides of the bundle.

Shot in the foot right out the gate.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
'92 is an IDI, not a powerstroke

tgreening, can you post a photo of the actual harness/connector you need?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd check out DieselORings.com he's good to deal with and hooked me up with various Glow plug and other diesel stuff... again powerstroke though.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Ok, some clarity here. I know guys have been trying to help, and I sincerely appreciate that, but everyone has been trying to help me fix the glow plug connectors, when what I need is the main harness connector fixed.

This harness.....

39FD706A-5738-4962-82FE-57FE53CB4B85_zpsqjjluc9v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and this connector....

F678B291-38B2-4CC5-B176-FC4ACF70B8DE_zps2ijqaxdq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

AC705F45-46D8-4453-BC1D-61606B200769_zps0riznpck.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This plugs into the truck side and goes on about it's business. Obviously there's more going on in this harness besides just the glow plug connections. Those are just glorified bullet connectors and no problem if I needed to fix.

I thought about cutting it out and replacing with some Weather Pack connectors but it seems they dont come in something that will take 10 gauge wire, nor that many connections.

I'm looking at Molex now and they might be the ticket, though I'd REALLY rather just pick up a factory replacement harness, used in good shape, from someone that doesn't want one of my kids and my sexy wife in exchange.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thats why I asked for photos :coffeedrink:

I think you'd be best to source one from a junkyard.

otherwise, pony up the $$ for a new replacement.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Thats why I asked for photos :coffeedrink:

I think you'd be best to source one from a junkyard.

otherwise, pony up the $$ for a new replacement.

Around here finding a 7.3 idi of any kind in a junkyard is only slightly harder than finding the holy grail, let alone one from a van.

Tell me where I could find a new replacement and I'd consider it. Old *** wiring harnesses are one of the biggest pains when dealing with an older vehicle.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Oh, I figured you had found a source for a new one, since you spoke of big $$

Id just start hitting up IDI parts distributors and see if they can source one.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
http://international4700parts.com/products/photo.php?product_id=53

Part Brand: International Manufacturer Part Number: 1807648C94

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f30/navistar-glow-plug-harness-install-294795/

Your 2 worst pins are probably the yellow wires that always burn up on the IDI's eventually. I replaced those with nice heavy anderson connectors. All the GP current goes through those 2 IIRC

Those links are awesome. Still not quite sure which of those would do the trick. The one in your link says up to 1991 and mines a 1992. There's another one for the F-series that covers my model year, but I cant see the plug detail, and it's like $100 more or something.

Yes, my yellows are the worst and probably a big reason why the plug is toasted. I think they cooked it. Probably what I'm going to end up doing is pulling the yellows from the plug/s, slap some new big old bullet connectors on them and run them seperate from the rest. The remaining plug and it's 10 wires I'm not sure. I can probably clean up the connections and get the thing to mate up ok, but longevity might be in question.

I think those yellows are 10 gauge. Any idea what the others are?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears