1992 G3500 Quigley camper / hauler

kewilso3

DiBond is actually a brand name, 'aluminum composite panel' is more generic term. Our local source is Grimco:
https://www.grimco.com/InfoPages/locations/denver.aspx

Their version is called max-metal.
https://www.grimco.com/Products.aspx?cid=0198

I should mention that there are a variety of painted finishes, as well as the brushed look that I used, and several mirror / polished options. Sign shops would be most likely to carry stock. It's also used as building cladding sometimes I think.

kewilso3

Mind telling us which Ensolite insulation you used? There are at least a couple dozen on their website

I am using the 1/8" peel and stick stuff from RAAM Audio, sold by the yard in 55" wide rolls, not sure which compound it is. I don't believe this is the most economic solution, and I chose it mainly for the convenience and simplicity. It does seem to be effective, but I can't really get a good sense of the overall improvement until I do more work on the doors, etc. Seems to work better than the adhesive butyl 'protecto wrap' and the frost-king duct insulation.

philos

Explorer
Mind telling us which Ensolite insulation you used? There are at least a couple dozen on their website

Great looking project!
Yes, the peel-n-stick ensolite is not cheap, but it certainly is fast and easy... I get 1/8 scrap pieces (40ish" x 50ish" pieces) without the adhesive backing from a local upholstery supply house for $20 a pop, and that's the best deal I've found. I use it with Butyl sheets, reflectix, and glue with spray 90 from 3M.

kewilso3

Daydreaming at work again...

BLUNDERBUS_zps7dbz5npv.jpg

van%20trees%20birds_zpsxffhqwov.jpg

Last edited:

kewilso3

Thanks I also like that graphic direction the most so far. I cut out my first rear door panel yesterday, from 1/2" thick expanded PVC board. I installed T-nuts in pockets on the back side, then mounted the panel to the door using rivnuts / nutserts in the door skin. The T-nuts are threaded 1/4-20 and spaced on a 5x5 pattern. Keeping it versatile and modular where possible.

T-nuts on the pack side:
IMG_1916_zpsdivncdc5.jpg

Installed:
IMG_1921_zpsszzpgoy6.jpg

kewilso3

I will probably never use half of those inserts, but why not install them now? I will keep all other inserts on the same grid pattern, so if I make any accessories down the road like hangers, shelves, storage, whatever, they can be moved around to different places or taken out when not needed.

BigC

Observer
Great looking build! Keep the updates coming, really liking where this is going.

Love the T-nuts in the door panel, very clever. Did you put any insulation behind the door panel?

kewilso3

I stuffed closed-cell foam in the door cavity, then applied ensolite over the skin (exactly behind the pvc panel you see). I used expanding foam to bridge the gaps between outer sheet metal and inner door structure as you can see a bit above the pvc panel. This really helped the door feel solid and it doesn't reverberate in typical sheet metal fashion.

Other than that, I have cut all of my floor insulation (1/2" pink foam) and cut the rigid floor panels as well. I chose PVC board again for longevity and because it's extremely flat, consistent, and nice to work with. Here's a piece fresh after cutting on the CNC.
IMG_1943_zpsn48hzytv.jpg

I ordered some industrial vinyl flooring but it will take 2 weeks to arrive for some reason, looks like this except I ordered brown to stick with the creepy vibe-
contemporary-garage-doors-and-openers.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger

Members online