1992 Montero - Already built, build thread!

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Can you provide additional pix of the rear bumper? I'm interested in having something like that made for mine. Do you know if it started out as a bumper for another car that was made to work with the montero?

I found a couple pics of when the previous owner built the bumper, I figured I'd share them here for anyone who was interested in replicating the design.

DSCF4627.JPG

I'd like to fill in the top here with some steel plate and bedliner both bumpers and the sliders I'm making.

DSCF4736.JPG

DSCF4735.JPG

Need to replace the reverse light still too!

DSCF4731.JPG

DSCF4732.JPG

DSCF4733.JPG

ca18_sean

Adventurer
So I had another ignition coil die on me yesterday... shut off as I was cruising off the highway. Luckily I had a tow strap on me, and a nice guy with a truck pulled me into a gas station to check it out. Whacked the ignition coil a couple times with the only tool I had with me... a screwdriver. Lol. Fired up and I made it home, but I'm kinda thinking maybe a borderline functioning coil could be causing my shut off's I've been experiencing.

I went ahead and ordered an OEM Mitsubishi coil, I should have known better than trusting an Autozone part. Ugh.

On a happier note, I got to do a little light offroading for work the other day :) I'm a geotechnical engineer and a project I'm currently working on is a water control structure in a 70,000 acre wildlife preserve that started to fail during a tropical storm we had last year. While Florida offroading isn't terribly exciting, what made this kind of cool is that it's off-limits to public vehicle traffic, so I was the only one back there! Tons of sugar sand and beautiful forests.

IMG_0520_zps476e0c11.jpg

IMG_0516_zps512cd4f1.jpg

IMG_0519_zps43f30fb4.jpg

The control structure. We're going to pump concrete under pressure through pipes inserted in those holes drilled in it to attempt to stabilize it.

IMG_0517_zps7818d89d.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
So I had another ignition coil die on me yesterday... shut off as I was cruising off the highway. Luckily I had a tow strap on me, and a nice guy with a truck pulled me into a gas station to check it out. Whacked the ignition coil a couple times with the only tool I had with me... a screwdriver. Lol. Fired up and I made it home, but I'm kinda thinking maybe a borderline functioning coil could be causing my shut off's I've been experiencing.

I went ahead and ordered an OEM Mitsubishi coil, I should have known better than trusting an Autozone part. Ugh.

On a happier note, I got to do a little light offroading for work the other day :) I'm a geotechnical engineer and a project I'm currently working on is a water control structure in a 70,000 acre wildlife preserve that started to fail during a tropical storm we had last year. While Florida offroading isn't terribly exciting, what made this kind of cool is that it's off-limits to public vehicle traffic, so I was the only one back there! Tons of sugar sand and beautiful forests.

Nice! Always like part failures that are easy to diagnose and fix.

BTW, from what i understand, rxinhed (rocks in head) does the same job you do... You 2 ought to trade notes!!

ca18_sean

Adventurer

I went ahead and ordered an OEM Mitsubishi coil, I should have known better than trusting an Autozone part.

The continuing saga of my failing ignition coils... kind of making me wonder if something else isn't wrong here.

Ordered a Beck Arnley Ignition Coil from Rock Auto. I've had good success with Beck Arnley stuff showing up with a Mitsubishi box inside the Beck Arnley box, so for $40 I gambled that hopefully that would happen again (since the OEM coil is $190ish). Unfortunately the box showed up with "Made in the USA" on the side of it, so I immediately knew it wasn't an OEM part.

Went ahead and installed it, truck ran great. Went to the car wash and the store for some dog food, still ran great. Pulling out of the store to head home, the truck fell on it's face and refused to accelerate. Then it barely ran. Then it finally shut off altogether... coasted to a side street and popped the Autozone coil back on (that I luckily brought with me) and it fired up and drove home perfectly. The Beck Arnley coil was very hot and appeared to have melted a little bit, the magnet was loose feeling.

Now the truck is running, but I'm worried that the autozone coil will fail again. So today I went on my lunch break to a nearby junkyard, hoping to find a Montero. They listed two Gen 2 trucks on craigslist, but that was over a month ago and this yard has a quick turnover rate. With my luck, both trucks were already gone. However I'd noticed that quite a few Chrysler and Dodge vehicles shared an ignition coil with my Montero, and after a bit of searching I found a row of three minivans that all had the correct coil. What sort of confused me was that they all had matching "Diamond" ignition coils. A Google search reveals it's a Michigan based company. (Edit, a little more Googling and I found out it's a Japanese company with a Michigan office... they appear to be OEM Subaru coils on the mid 90's Legacy as well.) Maybe Chrysler used them for their OEM coils?

$(KGrHqR,!j!F!eQkRZhUBQ(e1Du)k!~~60_57.JPG

Anyone have an idea why I keep killing coils? Is there something else I should be looking at here, or have I just had a run of bad luck with poor quality parts? Think this Diamond coil will be reliable, or should I just pony up and spend $200 on an OEM Mitsubishi coil? Or would a Bosch (made in Japan) coil do the trick? They run around $100... I'd really like to not worry that my truck is going to strand me, and other than this stupid coil issue, it's been rock solid reliable!

Last edited:

SoCalMonty

Explorer
The continuing saga of my failing ignition coils... kind of making me wonder if something else isn't wrong here.

Ordered a Beck Arnley Ignition Coil from Rock Auto. I've had good success with Beck Arnley stuff showing up with a Mitsubishi box inside the Beck Arnley box, so for $40 I gambled that hopefully that would happen again (since the OEM coil is $190ish). Unfortunately the box showed up with "Made in the USA" on the side of it, so I immediately knew it wasn't an OEM part.

Went ahead and installed it, truck ran great. Went to the car wash and the store for some dog food, still ran great. Pulling out of the store to head home, the truck fell on it's face and refused to accelerate. Then it barely ran. Then it finally shut off altogether... coasted to a side street and popped the Autozone coil back on (that I luckily brought with me) and it fired up and drove home perfectly. The Beck Arnley coil was very hot and appeared to have melted a little bit, the magnet was loose feeling.

Now the truck is running, but I'm worried that the autozone coil will fail again. So today I went on my lunch break to a nearby junkyard, hoping to find a Montero. They listed two Gen 2 trucks on craigslist, but that was over a month ago and this yard has a quick turnover rate. With my luck, both trucks were already gone. However I'd noticed that quite a few Chrysler and Dodge vehicles shared an ignition coil with my Montero, and after a bit of searching I found a row of three minivans that all had the correct coil. What sort of confused me was that they all had matching "Diamond" ignition coils. A Google search reveals it's a Michigan based company. (Edit, a little more Googling and I found out it's a Japanese company with a Michigan office... they appear to be OEM Subaru coils on the mid 90's Legacy as well.) Maybe Chrysler used them for their OEM coils?

$(KGrHqR,!j!F!eQkRZhUBQ(e1Du)k!~~60_57.JPG

Anyone have an idea why I keep killing coils? Is there something else I should be looking at here, or have I just had a run of bad luck with poor quality parts? Think this Diamond coil will be reliable, or should I just pony up and spend $200 on an OEM Mitsubishi coil? Or would a Bosch (made in Japan) coil do the trick? They run around $100... I'd really like to not worry that my truck is going to strand me, and other than this stupid coil issue, it's been rock solid reliable!

I usually grab a handful of coil packs, ignition control units, etc. when I find a compatible junkyard car. Take a few mins to test them when you get home, dump the bad ones, and then you've got a bunch of spares.

ZapMontero

Off-Road Newbie
Thanks!

They look great, im hoping to upgrade to 33's in the future. Right now im on some 31"x10.5R15 LT BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Finally got around to working on the truck this weekend. Replaced all the front end components with new Moog stuff. Upper/Lower ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, sway bar bushings, rear trailing arm bushings. The truck rides like it's brand new! But... I still have a clunk from the front end when I accelerate from a stop! UGH. I'm leaning towards front upper control arm bushings, but when I put a pry bar on it, I don't see anything moving. Any suggestions?

Also pulled my bumpers off so I could paint them with bed liner (I used Monstaliner because it's UV stabilized!)

Also decided to do both skid plates because they were looking a little rough.

The finish actually turned out much better than I had anticipated.

And a few of the finished rig :)

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Next up, new wheels. I'm leaning towards these. I've already confirmed that they have a 108mm center bore, so they will fit. I was torn between the 16x7 or 16x8, but I'm leaning towards the 7's... I just like the skinny look and the offset on the 7's is a little closer to stock. I don't want something sticking way out past the fenders.

wvi-12-671204_xl.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12-670604/overview/

~$90 a wheel...

I like the solid wheel look better than the typical steelie.

IMG_0541.jpg

40_jc.JPG

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Got everything from rock auto... wasn't cheap, but it didn't break the wallet either. I can't really remember what I paid for it all. I actually ordered this stuff a couple months ago when the clunking started, but it's been hard to find a weekend free to fix the truck! Just got married, then we did our honeymoon in Cali, so I've had a busy couple months :)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Looking good and thanks for the tip on the UV stable paint. Will check it out. How much was it?

As for rims, with 15x8 rims and 35x12.5 tires, nothing sticks out past the fender flares on my SR so you could go a bit wider if you wanted. My backspacing is 3.75 or something like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman