1994 International 4700 Conversion Begins

scooter421

Adventurer
Looks good, sir, and thanks for showing some FBOMB love! Are we going to see you at Expo in Flag this summer?
Absolutely, I don't mind advertising a good product!

Slowly but surely I'm making progress.

No, not headed to the expo this year. I'm planning on doing some camping instead. When I get ready to install a fridge/freezer I will head back up to speak with vendors and make a purchase. Understandably, the expo is taylored toward the smaller rig crowd. Although, it is a great opportunity to meet some really cool people.

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scooter421

Adventurer
Finally,

I finally got the roof top stuff complete. Well, minus the tethers. So I guess i'm not done just yet. I'll pull it out tomorrow and verify performance. I ended up using the same RV roof top coating I put on the roof a while ago to cover the brackets. It was more work than a spray can but the original coat has held up well so far.

I'm glad this project is almost over!

Scooter...
b128d4d57d082994258d5afe1d369d92.jpg

scooter421

Adventurer
I've been messing with my solar all afternoon and I have good voltage but I think I have a bad charge controller right out of the box.

I tried connecting both solar panel sets (set on roof and the original slide out set in the side compartment) together and seperate through the new controller, checked the batteries and for some reason the charge controller will not send power out to charge the battery or close the load circuit.

The controller gives me a green light that it's getting power from either panel set I connect it to. The second light I get is either orange or red we can't decide. Either way the controller is stating the batteries are low or too low but still will not charge the batteries.

I put a charger on my batteries for hours just in case they were really low but they were not low to start with.

I'm stumped any ideas?

Scooter...

scooter421

Adventurer
I ordered another charge controller. If this does not do it, I suppose I need to go back to formula and figure out what it is I'm missing. It should be pretty stupid simple but I've missed the obvious once or twice before.

Scooter...

patoz

Expedition Leader
It sounds like you've checked all the obvious things, so maybe you should give Tech Support at the company that makes your controller a call, and see what they say about the problem.

scooter421

Adventurer
It sounds like you've checked all the obvious things, so maybe you should give Tech Support at the company that makes your controller a call, and see what they say about the problem.
Hi Patoz,

I thought about it but it was a cheapo controller from Amazon. The reviews were good but after the install, I was not overly satisfied with the lack of info (lights only) information the controller provided after trying to use it. I did not think about wanting to see detail WITHOUT my meter originally. So, I spent a little more money on a unit that provides a more detailed information. If this does not work, I'll call this seller.

I was way outside the warranty on the last one anyway. I've been procrastinating on the solar install for 2 years! I could not decide how I wanted to mount them until you mentioned the Renogy mounts.

Scooter

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Just FYI...

Oz = Bevan, aka Ozrockrat, who has the red Frightliner M2 medium duty rig.

Me = Pat, aka patoz, who is converting a Wheeled Coach patient module (the box) into an off-road camping/disaster trailer.

Anyway, maybe the newer controller will solve your problem and you won't have to deal with the tech guys, if they even have any. I always consider calling the company the absolute last resort, just because I hate having to go through the red tape, and then getting transferred five times, only to get someone who really has no idea what he/she is talking about.

scooter421

Adventurer
Just FYI...

Me = Pat, aka patoz, who is converting a Wheeled Coach patient module (the box) into an off-road camping/disaster trailer.

Anyway, maybe the newer controller will solve your problem and you won't have to deal with the tech guys, if they even have any. I always consider calling the company the absolute last resort, just because I hate having to go through the red tape, and then getting transferred five times, only to get someone who really has no idea what he/she is talking about.
Absolutely, it's like going to the hardware store....you never know who you're going to get for help.....or not. For the money, I figured it was no major loss.

Scooter...

scooter421

Adventurer
Just FYI...

Absolutely, it's like going to the hardware store....you never know who you're going to get for help.....or not. For the money, I figured it was no major loss.

Scooter...

Yup, I know who's who. Somehow, I thought that previous response was from Bevan. Sorry Pat, I gotta pay closer attention! Thanks for pointing it out.

Scooter...

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
No biggie, I've done it myself and it's easy to do when you're tracking 15 - 20 different builds. I even had to go back one time and cut and paste from one thread to another, because I got the people mixed up.

Actually, I just didn't want you to start asking me difficult questions about diesel engines or suspension I couldn't answer. Bevan is the master when it comes to that! ?

scooter421

Adventurer
No biggie, I've done it myself and it's easy to do when you're tracking 15 - 20 different builds. I even had to go back one time and cut and paste from one thread to another, because I got the people mixed up.

Actually, I just didn't want you to start asking me difficult questions about diesel engines or suspension I couldn't answer. Bevan is the master when it comes to that!
Lol....Yeah, he does know his stuff!

Scooter...

scooter421

Adventurer
The new controller has arrived and the good news is that it's way better than the first one and well worth the extra $10. It tells me much more about what is going on with the solar system. I can easily get a 6 gauge wire connected to it as well. The bad news, something is still not right so the first controller is likely fine. Not such a bad thing, I can use it on my little trailer.

Being able to scroll through the menu on the new controller gave me a little understanding as to what was happening.

If I disconnect the ground from the solar panel, I see true battery voltage of 12.7 and a displayed 80% charge of which I agree with. Now this is where it gets strange. If I connect the ground of the panels to chassis again the controller shows the battery voltage of 13+ and shows the battery at 100% charge.

Checking the ground to chassis wire shows I have 6 to 7 volts at the chassis. Where this is coming from I have no idea.....ah the mysterious white rabbit hunt begins.

Unless, I just answered my own question and there is something wrong with one or more of the panels. I checked them when I bought them and they were fine.

The 6/7 additional volts on the ground is telling the controller the battery is fully charged. I do like a good challenge!

Scooter...

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Don't ground the solar panels' negative to the chassis. Lots of panels and charge controllers are positive ground.

Run the solar +/- to the charge controller and don't connect anything else on the solar side of the controller.

Keep it isolated from the battery/vehicle side.

scooter421

Adventurer
Don't ground the solar panels' negative to the chassis. Lots of panels and charge controllers are positive ground.

Run the solar +/- to the charge controller and don't connect anything else on the solar side of the controller.

Keep it isolated from the battery/vehicle side.
I was just reading about that....boy does that go against my logic. Thanks for the post, I was and still am trying to wrap my head around that one.

Scooter...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior