1994 Land Cruiser Build! Pic heavy.

DesertFZJ80

Observer
That's a clean Cruiser you have, nice find. Looks like your enjoy it and your travels! Let us know what ya think of the Coopers after a few more trips.:sombrero:

Thank you! Been scrolling through your build, very awesome cruiser! I'll be doing a full trip report when I get back so i'll let you know :sombrero:

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Took a trip with my dad up to Lake Powell to camp by the water yesterday! -

First stop in Camp Verde for gas, $4.04 per gallon

IMG_7036.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

Getting through Flagstaff

IMG_5693.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

We stopped in town to pick up some food to cook and as we turned into the parking lot the drivers side front wheel started to make a humming/grinding sound, then stopped. More than likely the wheel bearing or the Birf but we aren't sure yet, at 250k miles the front-end is ready for a rebuild anyways, its been on the to-do list! We got out the jack and checked on everything when we made it to the camp site. Brought enough tools with us to get us home if it came to that. (Update: Did some research and it appears to be the drive flange)

IMG_9929.jpg

IMG_6274.jpg

IMG_8330.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_8818.jpg

Awesome sunset, pictures really don't do it justice.

IMG_0404.jpg

Here's some shots of the light bar, didn't take it up to the trials behind the camping area for the trucks sake, can't risk any bad damage 360 miles from home!

IMG_8317.jpg

IMG_9954.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

Next post coming soon!

Last edited:

DesertFZJ80

Observer
I'm driving past Lake Powell next week, which beach is that?

It's the first green sign passed the "Welcome to Utah" sign, called Lone Rock Road, takes you straight to the beach, you'll know you're in the right place when you see 15+ trucks stuck in the sand trying to pull campers to the beach haha

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Part 2:

Our first night camping was really good, the views were awesome and our mini camp site was awesome but the night wasn't very peaceful, there was a camp site further down from us built up of about 4 full sized travel trailers and they didn't even begin to set up camp until 11:00 at night, they fired up the generators and flood lights and had people screaming and running around everywhere, it wasn't unbearable but being 400 miles from home we expected a more private beach to relax on, next time we will definitely be doing our research on where to camp.

The sand is moderately deep on the beach area, people were getting stuck left and right and that continued into the early hours of the morning, I have a little bit of deep sand driving experience from being at the lakes near my house so that wasn't an issue for us in the Land Cruiser :sombrero:
Early the next morning the spot next to our camp became the loading dock for peoples boats and jet ski's. We decided we would head back to Flagstaff and see what the Cinder Hills had to offer this time of year, when we left the Land cruiser walked right up the sand hills, we headed back to the main road floating over all of the deep sand, the look on peoples faces was priceless. I have GoPro video that I will upload eventually. We drove passed people bogged down in the sand airing down their tires in our loaded down 94 Cruiser with 249k miles and full psi.

The Utah scenery did not disappoint!

IMG_9383.jpg

Found this in the parking lot of Walmart

IMG_9726.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_8272.jpg

Quick stop before we set off on the trail

IMG_6959.jpg

I have been to the Cinder Hills in Flagstaff 3 previous times in the Raptor when it was covered in ice and snow, the Raptor with 400hp and 35's blew through everything with no issue but the snow had frozen the gravel and made it easier to drive on, this time it was about 75 degrees and dry, the gravel was very loose and further into the trail we started to sink deep..

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

The field below in this picture is where we first started to sink, the entire hill was also deep gravel and looking ahead it didn't end anytime soon, unable to air down without a compressor and having no Maxtrax or any recovery gear apart from two shovels and some straps we decided to turn around.

IMG_6529.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg

Followed the trail back about a mile or so and stopped to have some lunch in the forest and enjoy the weather.

IMG_8291.jpg

Next post will come later tonight, thanks for reading!

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Funny on the new Top Gear USA they drive through the volcanic gravel when they get in Flagstaff thats exactly where we were at the Cinder Hills, anyone know what dirt road they took to get by the water at the bottom of the grand canyon? Looks like a great place to camp!

Gone2Baja

Adventurer
Funny on the new Top Gear USA they drive through the volcanic gravel when they get in Flagstaff thats exactly where we were at the Cinder Hills, anyone know what dirt road they took to get by the water at the bottom of the grand canyon? Looks like a great place to camp!

I might be completely wrong but I think it's 'peach springs'.?.

Or I should say I think it's the beach at the end of peach spring Rd.

DesertFZJ80

Observer
I might be completely wrong but I think it's 'peach springs'.?.

Or I should say I think it's the beach at the end of peach spring Rd.

I think you're right! Been looking on google and people say that it goes straight to the water, 18 mile dirt road with two river crossings.

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Hi everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates, my phone broke and I sadly lost the remaining pictures I had hoped to upload.

In short we drove back into Flagstaff from cinder hills, we stopped at the military surplus store there to have a look around, I ended up purchasing two vintage wooden ammo boxes to put on my roof rack, One is from the Korean war era and I believe the other one is WWII era from Russia; Not bad for 20 bucks each!
My dad ended up getting a medic field box with two detachable lids that turn into tables, we were thinking of using it as a camp-kitchen but we haven't decided yet.
Anyways we headed back home that day cutting the trip short, The land cruiser made it home without any issues (obviously) and i've been daily driving it around the neighborhood, once we get settled in our new house the first thing on the to-do list is a front end rebuild/changing all diff fluids. We have a lake trip planned here in the coming weeks so I should have a bunch of good pictures from that.

I'll get some pictures of it up tomorrow, Thanks for reading!

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Heres a picture from the floods here in Phoenix a few days ago, this was actually mild compared to the water we had flowing in my area earlier that morning, the little ford in front of me almost didn't make it! Friend took a video out the passenger side window while I was driving. Expecting some heavy rain fall here in a few days, at least I can make it to work with the land cruiser!

LCflood.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998